Support for Intel A110 800MHZ CPUs (I945U +ICH7U)

omfg

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I'm on vaction in Singapore for the next few days, and have recently found these for sale:

http://www.kohjinsha.com.sg/products/sh811ws.htm

Basic spec is: "Intel A110 800MHZ" CPU, runing on an Intel 945GU +ICH7U with a 1024x600 LCD screen.

Now, as I'm sure you can all understand, I wondered what the potential would be for running MacOS.

I guess my biggest concern is regarding the CPU. I've built 2 Hackintoshes so far and not had any problems, *but* I've always been using SSE3 CPUs, which I understand makes life easier.

The Intel A100 / A110 CPUs are very new, and from what I can tell, are a low-power version of the Intel "M" laptop chips. This would mean SSE2.

Would anyone like to guess my chances in getting this thing going? Is non SSE3 still supported by the recent distros? Would anyone like my chances of being able to run Leopard?

Any anyone think of more general problems I might come across?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey there!

I've just purchased one of these while I was in Japan recently.

They are a great little machine.

I have had 10.4.8 (JaS), 10.4.9 (Uphuck) and 10.4.10 (XxX) running on it.

Out of them, 10.4.9 has the best support.

It supports the sound, network, graphics, bluetooth from the installer.

I haven't had too much of a look into the Wifi yet.

The webcam works at the "choose your user pic" screen on the Setup Assistant

which is promising, if only I had a copy of PhotoBooth for 10.4!

Touchscreen is working when booted to the installer DVD, but once in the OS,

it does not work! I still have to fiddle with this as well.

My main issue with it is that the animation speeds are slow.

Such as drop down boxes, the dock hiding and unhiding.

I have done some reading and believe it is the FSB that is set wrong.

The clock also runs at about 1/4 of the speed it should.

Unfortunately finding a kernel that has autodetect for FSB has proved harder that I though.

Each one I try freezes up at "BSD Root blah blah blah".

I've noticed that this ONLY happens when HPET is loaded.

Since Tiger works, I don't see why Leopard wouldnt, however would you really want to

run Leopard on it?

That would be a major slow down wouldn't it?

Mind you, I'll probably end up trying with Leopard a little later :blink:

Off I go to look for a solution for this darn FSB/RTC issue!

• 2 weeks later...
Touchscreen is working when booted to the installer DVD, but once in the OS,

it does not work! I still have to fiddle with this as well.

<snip>

My main issue with it is that the animation speeds are slow.

Such as drop down boxes, the dock hiding and unhiding.

I have done some reading and believe it is the FSB that is set wrong.

The clock also runs at about 1/4 of the speed it should.

Unfortunately finding a kernel that has autodetect for FSB has proved harder that I though.

Each one I try freezes up at "BSD Root blah blah blah".

I've noticed that this ONLY happens when HPET is loaded.

I'm currently considering buying one of these and I was wondering if you've had any success with the touchscreen and FSB/RTC?

Also what's the battery life/power management support like?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm currently considering buying one of these and I was wondering if you've had any success with the touchscreen and FSB/RTC?Also what's the battery life/power management support like?

Never got around to touchscreen on this unfortunately, battery life was about 1 hour less than in XP.

Power management worked though, it could see the battery and monitor it correctly.

I've since moved onto the EeePC, which I have had similar issues regarding what I believe is HPET causing machines not to boot.Kernels without HPET load without a worry!

But what can you do :)

FSB/RTC issues remain even with EeePC, however the animations can be disabled or reduced at least,

resulting in a machine that feels speedier! BOOM!

Just bought Kohjinsha SH6BK04A http://www.kohjinsha.com/models/sh/sh6kb04a/index.htmlGot it about 500 bucks in Japan.Wondering if it possible to install at least Tiger. I hate Vista, so if osx not possible, i might just install ubuntu.From the previous post, it seems that Tiger works okay but just wondering is there any limitation.

I'd imagine that with a bit of tweaking with programs such as Cocktail, Tinkertool and Tweak Freak the

slowdowns wouldn't be as noticable as on the EeePC. Ubuntu Gutsy works a charm on those things!

I think I had issues with the Wifi though! It was a while back, that machine has been SOLD!

Solid little workhorse though!

can any of you guys who installed 10.4.9 (uphuck) mention what installation options youused. I have an uphuck dvd but my first attempt at install failed.tovarish

Oh boy, this is a strain on my brain!

Add SSE2 Intel (only one available-don't use the universal kernels)

Add Azalia audio

Add Power Management kext

Remove AppleACPIPlatform.kext

Add GMA 950 - Chipset was Intel 945 I think!

That should at least get you up and running!

Don't forget to partition in Disk Utility as Master Boot Record (MBR) and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Thanks for the extra info. The 800MHz version is coming down in price so I might take the plunge - maybe even stick a 250GB HDD in and multi-boot with Vista :)

Can anyone post the settings for this? I keep getting stalls. I've tried with uphuck, xxx, and aitkos. No luck. On boot up I get a bsd error.

I'd like to see settings for everything from the bios, to the kernels, to the patches that worked.

I'm working on a partitioned drive that came with the machine. I've been able to format one of the partitions as HFS+ and installed 10.4.9 and 10.4.11. Neither will boot up.

I've tried cpus=1, platform=x86pc, -x, -f, -v. But no luck.

Any thoughts?