Building a new hackintosh

~pcwiz

74 posts in this topic

Guys, sorry another mind change. I've decided *sigh* once again to go with the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P. Some people managed to convince me because the Bad Axe 2 is based on a 2 year old chipset and will not be compatible with upcoming CPUs. The P35 chipset is relatively new so thats why. It also reduced my costs by about $70.

I've also decided to switch my graphics card choice from the XFX 7600GT to the XFX 7900GS. The price difference is not too much and according to these charts the 7900GS is better: (the 7600GT on the left, 7900GS on the right):

gpucomparison.JPG

And plus the 7900GS is reported as fully working with NVinject in the 10.5 HCL.

I build My New PC :

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP

13-131-182-04.jpg

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz

sata1=SeaGate 80GB 5400rpm HDD

sata2=pioner DVD writer

sata3=SamSung 320GB 7200rpm 16MB/cash HDD

sata4=no

sata5=SamSung 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cash HDD

CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500)

20-145-043-05.jpg

VGA= EAX1950CROSSFIRE/HP/512M

1335_m.jpg

Case : Asus Vento 3600

Large.jpeg

Moniter : Asus PW201 20`WideScreen

_2851-asus-pw201-hdcp-lcd.jpg

THAT`S ALL .

With all this NO successful in the installation of any version of Mac :)

Naw, you don't have to donate...its just if you appreciate my resources, etc. and want to help, you can donate a dollar.

Not an obligation, obviously.

I fully appreciate the fact that you've got ample resources to make the money yourself and buy the damn thing yourself.

Go read some Ayn Rand and stop begging people to take time out of their day to

1. Diagnose your system choices

and then

2. Buy the damn thing for you.

Grow up. 800 people are not going to take the time and energy to donate a dollar to you. There are people starving to death in Africa. There is AIDS and Cancer research to be done. There are honest politicans to be elected and people in real trouble who need real help. You (whoever you are) do not seem to be in a place in your life where you deserve $800 to just magically appear.

I have started a small donation fund to help me build this machine. Its based on the principle that if 800 people donate just $1 each from their PayPal accounts I could build this machine straight away."

What the hell kind of messed up principle is that? I thought honestly was a principle. Serving your fellow man. Truth, Justice, and The American Way. What you've got there isn't a principle. It's delusional math.

Unless you have something good to say, don't say anything at all

Did I mention ONCE that you HAD to donate?

Naw, you don't have to donate...its just if you appreciate my resources, etc. and want to help, you can donate a dollar.

Not an obligation, obviously.

Am I begging? I am simply informing that I HAVE started a donation system and if people want to donate a dollar then they can.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now I'm sure no one cares anymore but I am reconsidering the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P after reading social swimmer's excellent DS3P install guide.

What future hardware do you plan on upgrading to? I recommend the Bad Axe 2. I've had extremely good results with mine; the only things that don't work are Mic Input and Boot Camp. After dropping $270 on a Q6600, I don't imagine I'll ever upgrade the processor on this machine again. Plus if you buy a new board, you'll be paying a premium for the new chips, which always debut at horrendously inflated prices.

Actually the Bad Axe 2 (and the P5W DH Deluxe) don't support the new 1333MHz FSB Penryn chips, while the GA-P35-DS3P does support the newer processors. However, you are correct, the Bad Axe 2 works flawlessly with OS X. But the DS3P actually costs little more that 1 half the cost of the Bad Axe 2 and thats saving me about $70.

And BTW, you upgraded to a 8800GTS video card? I've decided to go with the 7900GS. Its within my price limit and looking from the reviews, it has performance enough to run todays latest games (but with OS X you probably won't get far into the gaming world :()

Basically for me, the overall decision comes to a match between Bad Axe 2 and DS3P. The DS3P has all the features of the Bad Axe 2 PLUS the newer P35 chipset that supports the 45nm processors. So I'm going with the DS3P right now, thanks to social swimmer for bringing the DS3P some light! :(

Actually the Bad Axe 2 (and the P5W DH Deluxe) don't support the new 1333MHz FSB Penryn chips, while the GA-P35-DS3P does support the newer processors. However, you are correct, the Bad Axe 2 works flawlessly with OS X. But the DS3P actually costs little more that 1 half the cost of the Bad Axe 2 and thats saving me about $70.

And BTW, you upgraded to a 8800GTS video card? I've decided to go with the 7900GS. Its within my price limit and looking from the reviews, it has performance enough to run todays latest games (but with OS X you probably won't get far into the gaming world :D )

Basically for me, the overall decision comes to a match between Bad Axe 2 and DS3P. The DS3P has all the features of the Bad Axe 2 PLUS the newer P35 chipset that supports the 45nm processors. So I'm going with the DS3P right now, thanks to social swimmer for bringing the DS3P some light! :D

Yes, I tested a 7300GT, 7900GT, and 8800GTS. I've got the 8800GTS running in there full time (320mb XFX 8800 GTS). I used Macdotnub's experimental installer (allows you to specify the ram amount on your card) and it works flawlessly. Would highly recommend it. I got mine used for under $200, so it's not much more than a new 7900GT.

And BTW, you upgraded to a 8800GTS video card? I've decided to go with the 7900GS. Its within my price limit and looking from the reviews, it has performance enough to run todays latest games (but with OS X you probably won't get far into the gaming world :P )

Basically for me, the overall decision comes to a match between Bad Axe 2 and DS3P. The DS3P has all the features of the Bad Axe 2 PLUS the newer P35 chipset that supports the 45nm processors. So I'm going with the DS3P right now, thanks to social swimmer for bringing the DS3P some light! :D

Do you have 5.1 sound OUT on that board (GA-P35-DS3P), mic also? Sleep and wake up works?

There is 5.1 sound ports but in OS X its only 2 channel supported :D And Sleep and Wake up do work.

P.S. I've changed several of my components. Switched the motherboard again to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, switched the DVD burner to a SATA equivalent (because there are some IDE issues with the DS3P), and changed the hard drive to 500GB instead of 250GB. And also I've cut out the floppy drive because I see that it's useless.

• 3 weeks later...
I also decided to go with the P35-DS3P. I used social swimmers guide and it works great. I highly recommend this board.

More than a P35-DS4 rev 2.0 ??? :angel: I was considering to go for a DS3P like you but when I saw the post on the DS4 I changed my mind. It has more cooling pipes and DTS (if you want it to dual boot and have DTS in WinXP or Linux)

Woot! Just ordered parts from ncix.com.

What machine did you ordered in the end?

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to note that NCIX appears to be phasing out that motherboard.

I'm also having difficulty picking motherboards. It was amusing to read this thread with pcwiz' signature giving the motherboard eventually chosen while most posts changed the motherboard.