OSx86 and Dual-CPU motherboars?

11 posts in this topic

Badaxe 2. Gigabyte ds3l.

Thank you for your reply!

I looked at these motherboards, but they are not dual-CPU.

Any experience with dual-CPU motherboards to build a dual-CPU/eight cores (dual-quad-core) system?

Thank you!

Only Xeon boards + CPU can support dual CPU and you would have to use FBDIMM RAM. It's possibly easier to just get a Mac Pro since there would be only a few OSX86ers with dual CPU config.
It is not clear if the poster means dual core or dual socket.Otherwise, I agree with you.
Xeons are EXSPENSIVE as hell. You're better off buying a quad core cpu.
You can get cheap dual-socket, the biggest problem is that the last time I check, there were no overclocking dual-socket motherboards.FB-DIMMs were like twice the price for the half the performance too.

It is not clear if the poster means dual core or dual socket.Otherwise, I agree with you.You can get cheap dual-socket, the biggest problem is that the last time I check, there were no overclocking dual-socket motherboards.FB-DIMMs were like twice the price for the half the performance too.

Sorry if I was not very clear. I meant dual-socket (two-way) board that supports quad core CPUs. The idea is to pick higher performing components to beat top of the line MacPro for rendering/video editing applications.

Thanks everyone who responeded!

• 1 year later...

Why not just build a farm of uber-cheap hackintoshes (i.e. you can probably build 4 high-spec quad-core mini-boxes for the cost of a mac pro)? They should supply more performance than a Mac Pro with the added benefit of true multitasking and redundancy. Just don't forget to buy the family-pack retail version of Leopard :)

[EDIT] As a quick exercise, I just worked out I could just about put together the following for the cost of a Mac Pro -

3 x Very nice cases and power supplies, 3 x Core2Quad CPU, 3 x 4GB RAM, 3 x NVidia Geforce 8800GT GFX, 6 x 1TB RAID-0 Disks

+ 1 x family pack version of the latest mac box set

Click here for links to the box set in the UK and here in the USA

I personally think getting a 5-pack operating system, productivity and office suite bundle for around £170 ($200) is great value for money. If you do happen to have 5 hackintoshes, each would only cost £34 ($40) to fully run the latest retail Apple system with this deal! I am seriously considering this option for updating my home machines to run retail OSX 10.5.6 with iLife'09 and iWork'09

• 4 months later...
Should work great but Dont many that use that board for OSX

I dont know wether it works, but i saw this post

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/09/how-wou...-based-mac-pro/

rDub @ May 11th 2009 9:09AM

Apple tax ... Myth or reality???

@ Level 5

"I don't really care for Macs too much, but you're not going to buy a Xenon quad workstation for too much less than that. You might get a negligible amount off if you build from MWave, but it won't be a large amount."

Really??

Mac Pro (Base model) prices

Single Processor - $2,499.00

Dual Processor - $3,299.00

So just out of curiosity ... a base build of similar hardware (This assumes you have the capability of using a screw driver and the basic understanding of what goes where in a pc ... or at least the ability to look at the pictures in the manual)

Processor - $769.98 ($384.99each)

Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz

LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602E5520

Motherboard - $259.99

ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX Quad-Core Intel Xeon X5500 Series (95W)

RAM - $113.94 ($18.99each)

Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model CT12872BA1067

Video - $59.99

GT120 = 9500 GT (Mac Re-branding)

GIGABYTE GV-N95TD3-512I GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Hard Drive - $69.99

Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

CD/DVD Burner - $22.99

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM

(The Apple SuperDrive is only 18x)

Case - $109.99

LIAN LI PC-60USB B2 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply - $219.99

COOLMAX CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Grand Total ...

$1,626.86

I started with a DUAL processor build ... but it beat the single processor Apple variant so i stopped there.

Granted this build still needs a key board, mouse, and an OS ... i think you can probably pick those up for less than the $872.14 difference in cost (from the SINGLE processor version) If you are willing to go the hackintosh route you will end up with a computer that is nearly identical for a significantly cheaper price point. You just wont have the blessing of your be-turtlenecked lord and master.

Side note: I chose to go with a nice case and power supply since the look is what a Mac is predominantly noted for. You could easily shave another 150 or more, off the price by getting a cheaper case and power supply.

Look I don't hate Macs in fact they are great for what they are for. What I DO hate is paying WAY too much for similar hardware. Flame away if you wish, but for me i will stick with what makes sense and that is getting the best experience for the least money.

My name is rDub, and I'm a PC