ToH RC2 the easy way = Update from Tiger

capybara

19 posts in this topic

Roflcopterguy said:

"Once you have the image on a DVD just install it. You can use the Disk Utility in your DVD to format your partition. I have heard success stories about upgrading from tiger but have not tryed it myself."

#############################

Roflcopterguy hit the nail on the head - upgrading from Tiger is the easy way!

1. let Tiger boot to the desktop without theToh RC2 dvd.

2. put in the ToH RC2 DVD now. When it appears on the desktop,

double click it, it will ask u to restart.

3. Restart, booting from the DVD.

4. DO NOT RE-FORMAT !!! just install leo in the old Tiger partiion.

5. After leo installs, let it boot to the desktop.

6. Right click on the DVD and select "eject"

7. Leo runs now on its own with no boot or re-boot problems.

8. This works fine with my i945g chipset motherboard.

9. some problems are due to using hardware not support by

ANY recent HCL, 10.4.8 or newer. Read the HCL before starting!

#######################################

You dont have to boot into tiger and run the setup from there, it doesnt actually do anything besides tell you to restart. Infact I suggest not booting into tiger at all after installing it. If you boot into tiger then the upgrade will take all the default tiger settings and put them into leopard, meaning that youll have to fix the finder toolbar so it has quicklook (makes me wonder how many people are using the old toolbar in leopard.. bad apple), the icons in the dock will be different as well as other things. If you want it to be as close to a clean install of leopard as possible then do not boot into tiger after installing (or atleast dont finish the setup process), just perform the upgrade right away. Youll still get the "first boot" setup process to create an account, except instead of the tiger video it will be the leopard video.

You dont have to boot into tiger and run the setup from there, it doesnt actually do anything besides tell you to restart. Infact I suggest not booting into tiger at all after installing it.

i did say to boot into Tiger after installing Leo. If u install leo into the old tiger partitn w/o re-formattg,

it w/b impossible to boot into tiger anyway. Im sorry if i was unclear about this!

So you're saying that if my computer is running Tiger fine now, that it should work after using this method to upgrade? Will it delete all the kexts and drivers that I've accumulated, or will pretty much everything be there still? What about applications?

Thanks!

The best way to get as close as possible is to use the "make leopard bootable" disk instead of installing Tiger. (found on demonoid and tpb) It will install the files needed to any partition you want (they are around 4kb). It is basically just the darwin bootloader.

So you're saying that if my computer is running Tiger fine now, that it should work after using this method to upgrade? Will it delete all the kexts and drivers that I've accumulated, or will pretty much everything be there still? What about applications? Thanks!

################

Hi niddy --

yes, if ur cmptr is running Tiger fine, this method will work - it did for me and others.

YMMV! But unfortunately, everything is lost [apps, kexts, etc.]

The end result is a fresh install of Leo. so backup all apps, kexts, etc., first

as you will have to re-install them. And keepin mind, just cause something is compatible

with 10.4.x does NOT mean it is compatible or will work with 10.5 !!!

For me the end result was an update not a fresh install. One one side its good because apps and kext are all sill there and usable. BUT I lost a lot of disk space. Seems like the new install did not replace anything, just added 6 gigs of data.

Everything in finder only adds up to less than 8 GB. SO i should have about 8 GB free, but I only have 3 GB free. Does anyone know what I should delete to get the disk space back?

this is totally {censored}ed. the cd says it cannot find com.apple.boot.plist and won't boot. and i formatted my tiger DVD-RW because it's the only DVD-RW i have'nt given away. and i could'nt back anything up because half my disk was corrupt so i used the windows cd to format it as osx would'nt let me and now i'm stuck in windows and i'm going to try and recover what i can. FUUUUUCK. this is quite the unexpected journey i've been working on this for around 8 hours now.

EDIT: I FINALLY got osx86 ToH iso to boot. but now it says to reboot because something or other cannot be found? anyways i nearly burned my house down this time ( if you did'nt think the first one was bad enough) left some oat meal on teh stove on high and came up here for around 40 minutes trying to figure out wtf was wrong. now i'm trying to get the smoke smell out of my house and clean up the mess.

EDIT: I AM SO MAD. it will not install and i have tried alot of stuff it just gets the error of not being able to install the software because there is no software to install. any other ways to install this? i'll attempt this under virtualization and then report back here.

EDIT: I just spilled my goddamn drink all over the new harddrive i was going to put in my computer. why me?

EDIT: installing this inside vmware to see if it's my machine or the iso. i'm virtualizing a pretty good osx86 machine so i hope this works. if not i'll make my own iso and release it to the public because this is retarded. i'll also include reminders to turn off stoves and not to drink near hard drives.

• 3 weeks later...

I "unintentionally" used this way to install (upgrade, to be precise) a Leopard 10.5.0 over a temporaly Uphuck v1.4i 10.4.9 Tiger.

It happened due to my USB flash drive is not visible during Leopard installation, yet I need to find a way to run the Leopard post-installation script. So I ended up to create 2 partitions, installed Tiger on on of them, downloaded the scripts and saved into another partition.

Anyway I am going to try a clean Leopard install later, since I have those scripts ready now. :blink: