Can I run Vista on my Powermac G4?

captainbriggs

6 posts in this topic

I have a powermac G4, used to be 450Mhz or something, upgraded to 1ghz before I bought it (single chip, AGP, M7825LL/;), running Leopard 10.5. 2GB ram.

Can I run Windows Vista on this machine? Can I run Vista with Virtual PC 7 on my machine? If not, is there some kind of hack to run Vista on a powerpc-chip mac? Is it impossible for physical reasons? I am new here, be nice. Thanks - Matt

You can, using Q or Virtual PC or any similar x86 emulator. It will not run very fast at all, XP took my 5 hours to install on my 1.5GHz PowerBook, so I assume it will take longer. I would get an Intel Mac if you want to run it at full speed.

Thank you for the reply numbers. I'm trying to get a copy of Virtual PC 7, but it's selling for $100 used on Ebay right now, yikes. Now I'm having a newly discovered problem as a result of the upgrade, which I will post elsewhere: I can't play DVDs. Bummer. Other than that Leopard is pretty cool so far.

You can, using Q or Virtual PC or any similar x86 emulator. It will not run very fast at all, XP took my 5 hours to install on my 1.5GHz PowerBook, so I assume it will take longer. I would get an Intel Mac if you want to run it at full speed.

Ew... Virtual PC... Maybe Win95 is called for? :(

I can just imagine Vista in VPC on a 1GHz G4. 'I clicked the start menu' - I'll just go and make a cup of tea and when I've drunk that... and finished building the shed, it might have finished popping up on screen. Still, that's nothing, because it took a month to boot!