PowerPC G4 800Mhz & Leopard

Shyos

11 posts in this topic

I've tried to install Leopard on my old PowerPC G4 800 Mhz... but I get the message that this cannot be installed.

Is this because Leopard isn't installable on a PowerPC G4 or am I doing something wrong here? :)

Thanks in advance!

I've tried to install Leopard on my old PowerPC G4 800 Mhz... but I get the message that this cannot be installed.

Is this because Leopard isn't installable on a PowerPC G4 or am I doing something wrong here? :)

Thanks in advance!

I assume you have a quicksilver. You can either install it on another machine that meets the minimum of 867mhz and swap the drive or you can overclock your cpu 1 step. I choose the latter. Just bridge the contacts with solder.

http://power-mac-g4.com/g4quicksilverclockup.html

Good luck.

Yeah, the minimum requirement is 867mhz,but in addition to overclocking your mac or swapping disks. but you can also install via a firewire cable as well, or some other method. Here is a guy who installed successfully onto a 700mhz iMac, and another one on a dual G4 500mhz. Best of luck. ;)

Edit: yet another method (hope you aren't overly inundated now)

Writing from Leopard/Safari 3.0 on my 800 MHz QS 2002!

Just for testing Leopard I've used a new 80 GB ATA drive on a firewire case attached to my Powerbook. After the clean install I swapped the HD to the PowerMac and everything went OK. I knew beforehand that the graphic card would be too weak to power Time Machine so I didn't even try it. I also disabled the mirroring on the Dock because I was seeing some tearing over the Dock which I assumed was due to the graphic card. Problem solved!

In terms of performance, Leopard on this Mac isn't either faster or slower but it is obvious that it hasn't enough muscle to fully profit from Leopard. I was also amazed that every app that I've tried installed and worked fine.

All in all, a good experience.

Before the OSInstall.mpkg releases it was an adventures to mod this little one...

My QS 800 runs great with Leopard...

Btw, you need definitely a BIG G-Card (9800 or something simliar)!

:)

I agree with you! I think the latest PowerMacs ( from the QuickSilver ) are very capable Leopard machines if they have the original graphic cards upgraded.

Thanks to your help I finally managed to get Leopard installed on my 800Ghz iMac flatscreen!

The only thing I run into that iChat is not working with the iSight... strange enough Photo Booth does work...

any advises?

Btz screensharing works awesome... especially screensharing in screen sharing ;o)

Thanks to your help I finally managed to get Leopard installed on my 800Ghz iMac flatscreen!

The only thing I run into that iChat is not working with the iSight... strange enough Photo Booth does work...

any advises?

Btz screensharing works awesome... especially screensharing in screen sharing ;o)

Mine says "slow network" for everything except audio in iChat so I can't do anything.