New $200 Ubuntu PC From Wal-Mart

Evidence

9 posts in this topic

There's a new $200 Ubuntu running PC from Wal-Mart. I think it would be a great OSX86 computer if a decent video card was put into it. First, would OSX work on it? And, second, can anyone find any information about the motherboard? I couldn't find any.

Wal-Mart Link

It's a via C7 so it won't be super fast by any means. I would assume the graphics driver will suck under OSX as well. I have experience with the via motherboards when building a media machine and this computer would be perfect for that (price is amazing fir mini-itx). other than that I see no use for it. The C7 might be OK for the low end user but the middle to high end will want nothing to do with it as a regular machine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The R2H and the EEE use an Intel Celeron M and the OQO O2 and the Cloudbook use a VIA C7-M. The Celeron supports SSE2 and the VIA supports SSE3 but the FPU is the problem with those VIAs. I think the Isaiah will fix the problem with that.

Why?

I know some wish to forget the simple physics we were taught in high school (work requires energy), but whatever you think to do with this is not going to end "happy".

Locally, being a "city Indian", I am pulling P4 computers from dumpsters. True, they are "early" ones, usually with SDRAM, or RIMM memory, and around 2ghz, or less, but with Intel chipsets, they make ideal candidates for this. Slam in some memory, a hardrive of the desired size, and a supported video card, and away you go. This certainly is a "no-brainer", faster operating than anything with a VIA processor, and you can keep your life entirely VIA free (which is a good thing).

And cheap!

• 4 months later...

I've had that computer for about 4 months now, and have been trying everything that I know to get OSx86 working on it, but no luck. I think it is the hard drive that it comes with because it says "Still waiting for root device" anyone have any ideas? I know that it would run slow, but I'd still like to get it on here.