Project Indiana

Alessandro17

20 posts in this topic

It takes more than time. It takes developers. I just can't see it going anywhere in the next 3 years without a major decision from Sun on the GPL. The CDDL just doesn't cut it. Developers want the benefits and protection they get from the GPL. You only have to compare Linux to FreeBSD to see that (no disrespect to any of the BSDs as they're outstanding OSes given the constraints of their respective licenses).

However, for commercial reasons, I just can't see Sun doing it. Sure, Schwarz keeps making overtures to the OSS community, but he's been doing that for a long time and I can't help but think it's involuntary given the growth of GNU/Linux under the GPL. With IBM looking as if its going to abandon new sales of AIX in favour of Linux, Novell doing the same with NetWare, Oracle coming out with 'Unbreakable' and Apple forking FreeBSD I can't help but think Sun is being dragged, kicking and screaming, to the party.

However, for commercial reasons, I just can't see Sun doing it. Sure, Schwarz keeps making overtures to the OSS community, but he's been doing that for a long time and I can't help but think it's involuntary given the growth of GNU/Linux under the GPL. With IBM looking as if its going to abandon new sales of AIX in favour of Linux, Novell doing the same with NetWare, Oracle coming out with 'Unbreakable' and Apple forking FreeBSD

Good analysis. Sun's approach to Open Source has been schizophrenic to say the least.

I can't help but think Sun is being dragged, kicking and screaming, to the party.

:D

And to make it more bizarre . They have Ian Murdoch (Debian Founder) behind the project. After his last distro ( name here) his interview said he was now learned in the business model.

So while Linux flounders for the desktop goal and Apple blooms. This could be one of their best Hopes for SUN -- to get this to take off. As I haven't looked at it I'd speculate that its another somewhat ugly Unix , with the best file system , potentially good package manager, and maybe 2 years to indicate any kinda wide adoption.

I do give SUN lots of credit for what open source efforts they've done so far with Open Office and ZFS, Java etc.

LOL. Yeah, I remember that. There was a liveCD version of it about a year ago. It's probably still available, I don't know. It went the way of Metisse - both still around but you have to look for them. I remember Mandriva plugging Metisse in one of their releases and one of the Puppy Linux devs getting it going on that but, like LG, it never seemed to get the critical mass like Compiz did - even way back in the days of the XGL-only bollocks (man that was bad). One thing I do remember about LG3D, however, was that it was painfully slow and pretty much useless (albeit just a demo of the LG3D project). I remember thinking at the time that it still needed a lot of work - 1/2 second delay between mouse click and action was not going to light anyone's fuse. I did like the rotating 'ring' thing though (subsequently adopted into Beryl and still in CompizFusion). Granted, Solaris has always been a server OS, but if Indiana is Sun's attempt at the desktop then I just hope they throw more resources at it than they did LG3D. Even so, I still believe the licensing issue is going to be the biggest roadblock to attracting developers. It's like M$'s latest folly with OSS licensing. If the fat bald guy seriously believes waiving a couple of licences (with OSS written on them) in front of OSS developers is going to attract some sort of mass exodus from the linux community, then he clearly doesn't get it. OSS development is about scratching that itch and fixing things. And that includes tinkering in the kernel space. Sun needs to take heed if they really want Indiana to take off and compete with GNU/Linux. ZFS licensing is not going to pay all of the bills.

firstly Sabr, it's not a Linux ;-)

Indiana and Solaris are Unix systems built on System 5 Release 4 (SVR4), as opposed to something like FreeBSD or Mac OS X which are both derived from BSD Unix, although the two traditions are very similiar. Solaris 10 has features like DTrace, Zones and ZFS, and a very very stable codebase and good reputation for scalability.

So what does this have to offer over something like Ubuntu?

(/me is a linux noob)

Some would argue that Linux (Ubuntu is a Linux distribution) is not a real Unix, but rather a Unix-like operating system.

Solaris, OTOH, is definitely a Unix OS (Indiana is based on Solaris).

firstly Sabr, it's not a Linux ;-)

Indiana and Solaris are Unix systems built on System 5 Release 4 (SVR4), as opposed to something like FreeBSD or Mac OS X which are both derived from BSD Unix, although the two traditions are very similiar. Solaris 10 has features like DTrace, Zones and ZFS, and a very very stable codebase and good reputation for scalability.

Didn't Leopard just get DTrace? It also looks like ZFS is on its way in more than a read-only form.

• 8 months later...

OpenSolaris is an open source project created by Sun Microsystems to build a developer community. It is aimed at developers, system administators and users who want to develop and improve Operating system. OpenSolaris is now growing and projects are being opened on opensolaris organization. And Project Indiana has done a appreciable job by developing one of the project, which has excellent technology and very advantageous features.

------------------

Garrett

http://www.treatmentcenters.org/indiana