Dell Dimension E521 | Progress

NUCLEaR

19 posts in this topic

This is the official progress report for my Dell Dimension E521 setup.

Stats:

nForce 410/430 ATA Serial Controller

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (SSE2/SSE3)

SATA 250GB

1GB DDR2 RAM

Dual SATA DVD-Drives

Windows Vista Ultimate

Installed Tiger on partition using VMWare.

Current Problem:

IOATADevice Blocking Bus.

Wishing myself the best of luck,

~NUCLEaR

• 1 month later...

UPDATES:

I am finally on to something. I have finally figured out that you can use disk utility from a working mac in vmware to partition one of my partitions to Mac Extended Journaled. I have already partitioned the drive, and am transfering the VMWare files over to my new mac partition. I am praying right now, but if this works, the E521 will be saved.

Currently on: Kalyway Tiger 10.4.10

Coming soon: Leopard!

~NUCLEaR

don't get your hopes up, this is suicide for me. i'm trying lots of methods here - injecting kext drivers, multiple releases, leopard.

side note: zephyroph leopard dvd does boot on the e521 without any options. it has vmware trouble though and is unstable. it freezes after you accept the eula at times.

omgz. glad i found this. I'm running a C521 and have been fighting for a long time with the same issues. I lost XP, and found my old disc, re-installed and am now trying to boot UpHuck from VMWare.

So, to understand totally... you used a different version to create a MAC partition which you ended up installing Kalyway on?

i used a vmware version to create the partition that i WILL install kalyway on. it takes too long so i am installing overnight.

after this, there might be 1 error to overcome, the "device blocking bus" error. but this is only a maybe, hoping it wont be like that.

Some updates:

seems that i guessed correctly. some stuff i found:

1) Kalyway is messed up, it didn't detect my drive the second time around

2) Tubgirl in VMWare detects only the real drive, not the VMWare drive, so i installed Tubgirl to the drive, put in chain0, and booted.

3) IOATADevice Blocking Bus... indefinitely repeating error.

I have went inside my E521, tried switching around some SATA plugs, but I think the problem is that by default, the E521 has its HDD on SATA1, and Darwin is expecting it to be somewhere else. I also tried unplugging all the CD-Drives, relocating them, etc... Nothing works.

Leopard update: Zephyroph's release doesn't detect the partitioned drive on booting, and marks the entire HDD as read-only.

And a complete history of my E521 problems:

1) Still waiting for root device (fixed)

2) Need Mac partitioned HDD (fixed)

3) IOATA Device Blocking Bus (not fixed)

Each problem took around a month to find a solution to.

As far as I know, the E521 is done for, a branded "hackintosh-impossible" computer. I will continue my attempts to get something working, and will post updates here.

~NUCLEaR

NUCLEaR:

Thanks for attempting multiple installs with the E521. After I got my E521 in June I started trying to install Mac with little success. I stopped trying in October, sporadically checking this board for fixes. Just seems off to me that the nf430 problems have been around so long and there hasn't been any fixes for it. Anyhow, thanks again. Keep us updated

• 4 weeks later...

updates, updates, updates. Leopard time as well.

I have installed Tiger on my drive through VM Ware.

Now to get rid of IOATADevice blocking.

I need a working VMWare OS X release that has a SATA driver in it. For some reason Synthetix's VMWare appliance doesn't allow the driver to be injected.

I am looking for any release that works on VMWare.

From there, I will use MeDevil's new nForce driver to boot the OS.

~NUCLEaR

--Please PM me any suggestions on any OSX releases that work in VM Ware with nForce SATA drivers.

• 1 month later...

Ok heres how I got Mac OS 10.4.10 to work on my Dell Dimension e521:

I started with the vmware image and inserted the AppleNForceata.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Content/PlugIns

I copied the virtual disk over to a a partition and used EasyBCD to create a bootloader

Always boot with -v and -f or you might get error messages

don't get your hopes up, this is suicide for me. i'm trying lots of methods here - injecting kext drivers, multiple releases, leopard.

side note: zephyroph leopard dvd does boot on the e521 without any options. it has vmware trouble though and is unstable. it freezes after you accept the eula at times.

I have the "zephyroph" DVD and it does boot on my E521, though I cannot format my secondary HD to Journalled or whatever. I was able to format my external HD perfectly fine and install but I was not able to boot from USB. Has anyone been able to format/install and boot successfully yet?.

I've had luck installing 10.4.8 on and external usb drive (ide). So it is possible to run OSX on the Dell as long as you don't mind running of an external drive.

I have the stock Dell E521 and used the JAS 10.4.8 AMD installer. Getting network access and sound to run took a lot of time to figure out. And I still haven't figured out how to get anything but the default video setting to work. But it's a start and if anyone needs more details, let me know.

• 1 year later...
I've had luck installing 10.4.8 on and external usb drive (ide). So it is possible to run OSX on the Dell as long as you don't mind running of an external drive.

I have the stock Dell E521 and used the JAS 10.4.8 AMD installer. Getting network access and sound to run took a lot of time to figure out. And I still haven't figured out how to get anything but the default video setting to work. But it's a start and if anyone needs more details, let me know.

Can you detail exactly what you did to install onto an External USB HDD? I'm looking to install OSX onto an external USB HDD (via IDE-to-USB adapter) on my Dell E521...

• 8 months later...
updates, updates, updates. Leopard time as well.

I have installed Tiger on my drive through VM Ware.

Now to get rid of IOATADevice blocking.

I need a working VMWare OS X release that has a SATA driver in it. For some reason Synthetix's VMWare appliance doesn't allow the driver to be injected.

I am looking for any release that works on VMWare.

From there, I will use MeDevil's new nForce driver to boot the OS.

~NUCLEaR

--Please PM me any suggestions on any OSX releases that work in VM Ware with nForce SATA drivers.