Can't boot Leopard

-Sandro-

23 posts in this topic

Hello I've just installed Leopard from BrazilMac everything went fine, patch too.

I'm using triple boot with Windows XP, Ubuntu and Leopard.

That worked with Tiger (I haven't changed anything) but when I try to boot Leopard I get the Grub 13 error "Invalid or unsupported executable format".

The pc:

hd0,0 Windows XP NTFS

hd0,1 Data NTFS

hd0,2 Ubuntu ext3

hd1,0 Data NTFS

hd1,1 Leopard (before Tiger)

hd1,2 SWAP Linux

The first HDD is SATA, the second one is IDE. MAC Installer recognizes only the IDE as happened on Tiger but it worked.

What should I change in grub, maybe, to boot Leopard?

Hello, I have the same problem, but with only 1 HDD (IDE)

hd0,0 : Windows Vista (Ntfs)

hd0,1 : Data (Fat32)

Hd0,2 : Leopard

Hd0,3 : Ubuntu 7.10 (Ext3)

And when I select leopard, the same error as your's

(Note that is my first MacOs installation ... not Tiger before)

i get the same blinking

Try these step.. I'll try as well.. let me know your result i'll post as well..

In terminal, browse to the i386 folder inside the 9a581-patch folder. Then type this:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsx bs=512 count=1

• Now, lets run the startup tool to embed the boot code:

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

• And last, lets give the pope’s blessing to the partition:

sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot –verbose

Hello,

where do I have to run those commands? On the terminal during the installation Leopard disc?

Where is "i386 folder inside the 9a581-patch folder"??

Will it replace Grub?

Assuming you're using BrazilMac's patch and following the instructions to the letter, you'll have to run them using Terminal after post-patching. The i386 folder is in /Users/yourname/Desktop/9a581-patch/files/i386

If you do it right, it won't replace Grub. Make sure you are writing to the right partition, check partition names using "mount" for instance. If you write to the wrong partition you might indeed lose Grub or any other of your OS'es.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand.

Yes I followed the little instruction guide of BrazilMac included in the torrent file.

First of all, how can I have the Users/name/Desktop directory if can't boot Leopard ?

I have those files in the USB device used to apply the patch.

Second of all, I didn't understand if you mean the Leopard DVD terminal or the Linux terminal. Anyway I tried both but none "knows" the startupfiletool command so I can't proceed to next step.

First of all, how can I have the Users/name/Desktop directory if can't boot Leopard ?

I have those files in the USB device used to apply the patch.

The BrazilMac guide assumes you're post patching from your old Tiger installation.

Second of all, I didn't understand if you mean the Leopard DVD terminal or the Linux terminal. Anyway I tried both but none "knows" the startupfiletool command so I can't proceed to next step.

I meant the Tiger terminal, but I suppose you'll have to do it from the Leopard DVD terminal if you don't have Tiger anymore. The startupfiletool command is included with the BrazilMac patch in 9a581-patch/files/i386/

Oh, that's the error...I erased the Tiger partition before installing Leopard. Ok I will try upgrading from Tiger.

But...the problem is still there, if I install Leopard into Tiger I can't boot to access the terminal.

I guess I didn't followed the guide you're referring to cause I didn't know those things, can you link it please?

Thanks

Oh, that's the error...I erased the Tiger partition before installing Leopard. Ok I will try upgrading from Tiger.

But...the problem is still there, if I install Leopard into Tiger I can't boot to access the terminal.

I guess I didn't followed the guide you're referring to cause I didn't know those things, can you link it please?

I don't think upgrading from Tiger is likely to work either, you will still need to run the post patch, which you can't without access to a working OSX. You mentioned you have BrazilMac's patch on a USB key, can't you access this from the DVD Terminal and run the patch/install the bootloader that way? That should be fine as a "working OSX" I guess.

The guide are the two RTF's included with the patch, you should have all you need already.

I don't think upgrading from Tiger is likely to work either, you will still need to run the post patch, which you can't without access to a working OSX. You mentioned you have BrazilMac's patch on a USB key, can't you access this from the DVD Terminal and run the patch/install the bootloader that way? That should be fine as a "working OSX" I guess.

The guide are the two RTF's included with the patch, you should have all you need already.

That's what I did.

I applied the patch from DVD terminal but as I said in this way the startupfiletool doesn't work.

I've just read here that upgrading from Tiger and applying the patch from dvd actually works, but if I have to apply the bootloader command too I'm in the same situation.

What did you do? Did you have two partitions with tiger and leopard separately?

That's what I did.

I applied the patch from DVD terminal but as I said in this way the startupfiletool doesn't work.

Really? You can't run the startupfiletool from the DVD terminal? I don't see why not, it's included in the patch package you have, so it should be on your USB key. Remember to write ./startupfiletool if you've cd'ed to the files/i386 directory.

I've just read here that upgrading from Tiger and applying the patch from dvd actually works, but if I have to apply the bootloader command too I'm in the same situation.

Right, that should actually work (at least if by upgrading you mean upgrading without formatting the partition, but I think you do.)

What did you do? Did you have two partitions with tiger and leopard separately?

Yep I have the tiniest spare OSX installation that I use for testing upgrades, kext's etc before applying them to my main installation. If anything goes wrong I have a cloned copy of this test installation I can reapply in minutes and then play with again. And it was rather handy when installing Leo :wacko:

Ok I've made the bootfix, I was using the newest patch that doesn't include bootfix dir.Anyway I'm getting the same exact error message ;) is maybe impossibile to boot with Grub?

I have the same problem. I erased the Tiger partition, i applied the patch from usb stick, but those commands don't work from the dvd terminal or leopard terminal. What should I do, besides reinstalling tiger and leopard again?
You need to use the original patch that includes the bootfix directory

I think I will try upgrading from Tiger, anyway...when I have to customize the Leopard installation do I have to delete also "X11"?

I have the same problem. I erased the Tiger partition, i applied the patch from usb stick, but those commands don't work from the dvd terminal or leopard terminal. What should I do, besides reinstalling tiger and leopard again?

-Sandro-'s suggestion is probably the easiest, although I've just tried running dd and startupfiletool in the DVD Terminal without problems. I'm not sure why you guys can't. Maybe you're not cd'ing to the files/i386 dir?

u CAN'T boot the Leopard without bootfix it first. because the vanilla installation isn't bootable at all! Use grub is ok, only after u bootfix the Leo.

check the guide in my sig, include all required files for bootfix and instruction.

u dont need the i386/boot1h file because if u boot from DVD, the file is right on the disc.

The startupfiletool command is included with the BrazilMac patch in 9a581-patch/files/i386/

It's not in mine.

I downloaded the zip from the rapidshare link, as everybody else I suppose? Are there different versions of the folder BrazilMac-9a581-Patch out there?

Where can I get this startupfiletool from?

Thank you guys. I've managed to get this thing to work...

Installled Tiger first, then Leopard, then applied postpatch. Now the partition is bootable!

Same thing, it works great!

It's not in mine.

I downloaded the zip from the rapidshare link, as everybody else I suppose? Are there different versions of the folder BrazilMac-9a581-Patch out there?

Where can I get this startupfiletool from?

This one

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.jasonmadigan.com/2007/11/04/bui...d-installation/

Go there and you will find instructions on how to make the partition bootable if you have already installed. Also, there you will find a file to download that has the startupfiletool and everything else you will need. I have tried many other methods and this is the only one that worked for me (outside of the flat image) and when you look at the instructions you will see why. Most other instructions instruct on how to make the partition active, but they dont make you installer the bootloader as this method does. Just give it a try, you wont regret it and you dont have to install tiger or any {censored}