iLife 06, iWork 06

suleiman

108 posts in this topic

anyone can actually encode a DVD with iDVD all the way through ? it crashes at like 1/4 of it on my PC with SSE2 + QE/CI.

What about SSE3?

With SSE3 (see specs below) and QE/CI enabled I've managed to encode and burn a slideshow created in iPhoto with iDVD. :D

After that iDVD crashed. But the DVD was allright and I was able to play it on my standalone DVD-Player.

Once Quicktime 7.0.4 was downloaded and installed, Garageband and iMovie are up and running. Before that Garageband reported, that it would require Quicktime 7.0.4 and iMovie refused to start. Second was quit "unexpectactly". ;) With the above mentioned trick to alter the version of the MacOS manually from 10.4.3 (8F1111g) to 10.4.4 (8G1165) iMovie also presented the new Themes. Since I have no camcorder here, I'm not able to report very much of this app. It starts. So far so good.

Will do some research with my brothers camcorder in a few days...

iWork seems to work either. Keynote and Pages crashed not a single time. But I have to admit, that I did nothing extensive with these apps so far.

Good night and good luck... :sorcerer:

Well after adding some more new hardware to my machine I can now sucesfully create a DVD using iDVD. I replaced my AMD S754 3200 Clawhammer with only SSE2 to a Venice based chip at the same speed. After installing the new chip everything was a tad faster , but iDVD no longer crashed at the beginning of the video encoding process , it fully went through , created and burned the DVD , everything worked great. The only issue I had was when I was exiting the program it just crashed , but it is pretty much a moot point considering that the DVD was created sucessfully.

Everything else iLife relates works just as well if not better. I just ordered a X850 XT AGP card with the hopes of replacing my 6800 Ultra for fully native support in OSX , only time will tell if that endeavor proves to be sucesfull , ill keep you all posted either way. Take Care!

So I just loaded osx x86 for the first time this last weekend. I finally got ilife installed and so far it is running pretty good. Iphoto works perfect. Imovie opens and seems to work fine (dont have camcorder so cant really do much with it right now.) Idvd opens and seem to work fine. Havent tried encoding yet. I will let you know when I get a chance to try if that works. Garage band gave the quicktime error but I downloaded the latest ver from apple and it works fine now too. The only one that doesnt seem to work is iweb. It opens but nothing comes up on the screen and it wont let me create a new page from the menu bar.

Here is my specs if anyone is interested

AMS E-Cube ( Intel® 82865G) http://www.amselectronics.com/Products/PC_.../EG65/EG65.html

P4 northwood 2.0a sse2 only

512 ram

onboard video

onboard sound

So the only real problem other than iweb is the darn thing is sloooow... Hopefully that will change soon though. I am going to be ordering a 2.8 prescott, another 512 ram and a 9800pro video card. It still wont be super fast but that should give it a pretty decent speed boost and hopefully that will get iweb working too.

I havent installed iworks yet. I will let you know my results when I do.

I have some issues with iPhoto here. In fact,

the same issues I had with the previous version:

When I watch a slideshow, my mousepointer

is gone after leaving fullscreen mode. Can anyone

verify that?

Only thing to get out of this pointerless trap, is a reboot.

If you have the same issues, I can recomment using

Motion Pictures HD instead. You can find that app in

the toast titanium 7.something package.

I Have exactply the same problem!!

No probs with frontrow here. But it is not that the mouse just disappears, I also get some graphic artefacts

when I move the "non existing" pointer. It is still there, menu highlights etc. This also happens, when

mousepose is disabled and unloaded.

Domino, does your iPhoto work? if so, it must have something to do with the graphics. These strange artefacts

really looks like a deeper system problem.

I think the only solution for me would be to downgrade my iPhoto, or try to combine some package contents within

iphoto with older versions. maybe it will work if QE or CI is disabled. I think this is what I will try next smile.gif

// ok it works now.

I had the cube effect in the slideshow options selected, don't know why. Now I resetted it to standard efx and everything

is working biggrin.gif

But it still doesnt woork for me. I still get the "mouse effect".

Because im from Germany i dont exactly know what to do. Can you tell me in "easy English" what Programs i should install and what i have to turn on/off in iPhoto Diashow.

btw. the same problem i had in ilife 05

All other Progs from ilife 06 works great here in Germany ;)

Hoping someone can help me!

Anarche

all is ok :

idvd fully working

garageband (need quicktime 7.0.4 universal downloaded on apple site !!!!) fully working

itunes ok (same as on apple site for free)

iweb ok (all is ok !!!)

iphoto 6 all is ok

imovie hd : only one pb : after import, the previsualisation is the same as vlc with openGL : all in green and red... but when you export your movie, all is ok...

imovie hd need 10.4.4 for theme (theme window in imovie show a message witch say it.

perhaps i need ATI video for openGL (i have integrated GMA950...) i will test it, i have a pciexpress x300 video card. :):):D:D

I got iLife '06 working in my Mac x86 10.4.3

System:

ASUS P4P800-SE

Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz OC@1.82GHz ... no SSE3/PAE/XD

1024MB Dual Channel DDR RAM

ATI 9550 256MB

Maxtor 250GB 16MB cache

Stability of iWeb was all over the place. It would bring the whole system down and I would get the OS X equivalent if the BSOD. That changed when I read this. I find the .mac remonders very annoying. Is there any way to disable those prompts short of buying a .mac account or setting up a fake .mac server?

iWork06 weird problems.

Keynote seems to work for me, I can create a presentation and show it, very limited testing.

Pages crashes before a window even comes up. Crash report is:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date/Time: 2006-01-27 08:20:02.618 -0500

OS Version: 10.4.4 (Build 8G1165)

Report Version: 4

Command: Pages

Path: /Applications/iWork '06/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS/Pages

Parent: WindowServer [76]

Version: 2.0 (423)

Build Version: 1

Project Name: iWork

Source Version: 4230000

PID: 204

Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xb810891c

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 com.apple.ATIRadeonGLDriver 0x0de634f4 gldChoosePixelFormat + 1962

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have changed <key>SFRAcceleratedCanvas</key>

<false/>

in the pages Defaults.plist

It looks like an issue with the ATIRadeonGLDriver, but I'm guessing, any ideas?

thanks

Pages now runs.

Since my T40 only has a Radeon 7500, and was running in VGA mode without CI or QE, I deleted all the ATI* stuff in Extensions (kext and bundles).

Not sure what other problem this might cause, but the priority was to get Pages working, which it now does.

cheers,

now i have installed 10.4.3 8f1111g (Jas patch v4,2b)

ilife is fully working, my pb with imovie HD (see upstair) is corected.

all (with iweb) is FULLY working (idvd recognize and burn with my pioneer dvr 110 d)

see my signature for details...

Pages now runs.

Since my T40 only has a Radeon 7500, and was running in VGA mode without CI or QE, I deleted all the ATI* stuff in Extensions (kext and bundles).

Not sure what other problem this might cause, but the priority was to get Pages working, which it now does.

cheers,

I was a bit pre-mature.

With all the ATI* removed from Extensions, Pages runs, but Keynote starts, runs, but never displays the UI, I can see the process but not the UI.

With all the ATI* back in Extensions, Keynote runs and I can see the UI and use the app, but Pages crashes in the ATIRadeonGLDriver in gldChoosePixelFormat.

Seems like it's one or the other.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

I guess that is the real problem for some of us ATI users for the moment: or you delete your ATI*.kext files so that no ATI kext is being loaded and some of the applications start to work properly (even the ScreenSaver System Preferences, some webpages opened in Safari, iWeb with the Canvas key patch, etc...). Other applications like Pages are not starting anymore until you correctly load an ATI kext...

Hopefully someone ever manages to get this working for all apps and allow us to change at least our resolution to e.g. a widescreen resolution :withstupid: