A good web hosting service. Any recommendations?

29 posts in this topic

Hi,

As some people know, I recently switched from free subdomain to paid hosting. My paid hosting is from www.accuwebhosting.com and everything was working fine till now. Before, I didn't care about bandwith until today I got an email from my hosting company saying that my bandwith limit was 10GB and I had hit 18GB so I had to upgrade. I've upgraded to 30GB bandwith but that still won't last me long...

I don't wanna keep having to pay for extra bandwith. Does anyone know a reliable web hosting service. Requirements:

• Atleast one .com domain
  • 300MB or more disk space
  • Unlimited bandwith

And thats all for now. Any good recommendations

OK Siteground is good and I know its cheap but is there anything CHEAP-ER? See, siteground is 5.95 a month and my current host is 4 bucks a month so theres an increase of about $24 dollars a year. So is there anything cheaper that has close to what Siteground has?

Thanks

pcwiz

OK I've decided my new hosting service. I'm not switching to Siteground, but to 1&1 Web Hosting. Its only 3.99 dollars a month and a good feature set:

• 2 domain included
  • 25 Subdomains
  • 20 External Domain Hosting
  • 10GB Web Space
  • 300GB Bandwith Monthly
  • 1 FTP Account
  • 600 Email Acounts
  • 2GB Mailbox Space
  • IMAP and POP3 support
  • 1&1 Webmail
  • Spam Filter
  • 1&1 Website Builder
  • 1&1 Photo Gallery
  • Vouchers to a bunch of services
  • Firewall Protection
  • Daily Site Backups
  • 24/7 Phone and Email Support
  • Online FAQs
  • 90 day money back guarantee

Overall, I think its great for only 3.99 a month and I can transfer my existing domain so I think I'll get this unless someone has something better.

PCWiz, THats cheap but its very basic, No cron jobs, no fantastico, cant password protect directories, control panel seems basic. Im currently using hostgator and emaxhosting. I like emax for its features(install perl modules) and hostgator for its alloted bandwidth(3000GB) and space(350GB). Both uses cPanel control panel which has fantastico, so installing Joomla takes only a few seconds.

When its dirt cheap, expect your host to cram hundreds of accounts in one server, but if your needs are just basic hosting then thats just fine I guess.

OK Siteground is good and I know its cheap but is there anything CHEAP-ER? See, siteground is 5.95 a month and my current host is 4 bucks a month so theres an increase of about $24 dollars a year. So is there anything cheaper that has close to what Siteground has?

Only you can decide what fits your needs. Remember to also plan for any possible future needs.

For me, the $25 a year isn't really much especially considering the differences. (500GB web space vs 10GB)

(Host a few files and you can fill that up fast. :) )

I have switched to 1&1...They are just transfering my domain now and that should be done in 24 to 48 hours. And about disk space, my current site with all downloads only uses 15MB so I don't think I have to worry about Disk Space for a long time to come :help:

1 & 1 is great. Used it for 5+ years. @ royco, you can pw protect folders. They don't have superfast uploads, but it is fast enough to ul 50 mb in no time at all, but a big upload is slow. Otherwise, they have been the best. No problems that weren't dealt with in an your. Support is great. Trust me pcwiz, 1&1 is the best.

Probably because the support people are foreign. And BAD news...Some dumb rule from ICANN (wont get into details) but its gonna take like another 40 days to transfer my domain!! Meanwhile I have changed the DNS to point to me new server etc. etc.

Some advice to new buyers: Choose your web hosting service carefully the first time. Domain transfer is a NASTY business.

Probably because the support people are foreign. And BAD news...Some dumb rule from ICANN (wont get into details) but its gonna take like another 40 days to transfer my domain!! Meanwhile I have changed the DNS to point to me new server etc. etc.

Some advice to new buyers: Choose your web hosting service carefully the first time. Domain transfer is a NASTY business.

Are you saying they won't release that domain name for 40 days or the contents of the site won't be transfered?

If you can update your DNS entries and 1&1 has added your site to their servers, just transfer the site yourself.

I transferred my site a few months ago and no delay.

Heres the rule from the ICANN association:

Instances when the requested change of Registrar may not be denied include, but are not limited to:

Domain name registration period time constraints, other than during the first 60 days of initial registration or during the first 60 days after a registrar transfer.

Meaning that I cannot transfer my domain within the first 60 days after registration or previous transfer. I registered the domain on September 3 2007 so I have to wait till November 3 2007. Even if I did transfer myself, I don't think I can bypass this rule.

Any thoughts? The domain is currently registered under my name so I can do what I want. I asked my previous host and they said that they cannot break the rule.

So your registrar is the same company that was your old web host?

I never knew this rule, and not quite sure what it's goal is. (at least for 3 months)

My registrar is different than my web hosting company so changing domains is just a matter of changing the DNS numbers.

My registrar is ENOM and my previous host is Accuwebhosting so transferring isn't a problem, its just that rule. The registrar doesn't let me transfer because of that accursed rule.

I'm confused because you aren't changing your registrar.

The registrar doesn't have anything to do with the content, just the DNS name mapping to hosting IPs.

So the rule would make sense if they said you aren't allowed to change the DNS entries for 3 months, (although I still don't get the purpose of the rule).

Can you PM me that entire rule you quoted part of. Interesting either way.

OK,

So my channel registrar is ENOM OK? And the registration service was provided by Accuwebhosting. Accuwebhosting is a reseller of ENOM. I cannot change my registrar to 1&1 (or whoever their registrar is) because of the rule. I too do not get the purpose of the rule but its a rule from ICANN, they manage all the domain stuff. Here is the link to the page where the rule is:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

OK,

So my channel registrar is ENOM OK? And the registration service was provided by Accuwebhosting. Accuwebhosting is a reseller of ENOM. I cannot change my registrar to 1&1 (or whoever their registrar is) because of the rule. I too do not get the purpose of the rule but its a rule from ICANN, they manage all the domain stuff. Here is the link to the page where the rule is:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

ahhhh, now it makes sense. So in essence your registrar and web hosting company was the same. (Even though they are just an ENOM reseller)

So if ENOM let you manage your DNS directly with them (not just a reseller), or Accu let you just maintain just a DNS service without web hosting you would be good. Too bad they don't.

So as a workaround, why not just redirect your current Accu home page to the 1&1 page using www.1&1.com/~pcwiz (or whatever address it is)

I'm assuming your original Accu site remains active until the 60 days is over. If not that is really is bit of a scam.

What I am doing now:

I have set up and changed the DNS of my domain through Accuwebhosting so that it directs to my 1&1 servers so now I can access the domain through 1&1 but I cannot through Accuwebhosting. Once the domain transfer is complete, I will be able to fully control DNS and everything through 1&1. Once the domain transfer is complete, I cancel my account with Accu and I get my full money back.

Does it make sense?

What I am doing now:

I have set up and changed the DNS of my domain through Accuwebhosting so that it directs to my 1&1 servers so now I can access the domain through 1&1 but I cannot through Accuwebhosting. Once the domain transfer is complete, I will be able to fully control DNS and everything through 1&1. Once the domain transfer is complete, I cancel my account with Accu and I get my full money back.

Does it make sense?

Totally understood once you mentioned Accu was your registrar. (Even though just through as ENOM reseller)

When you said your registrar and web host were different, it didn't make sense until that ENOM->Accu connection was established. :o

im with mediatemple (dv rage) and solarvps. Mediatemple offers a gridservice for only $20 a month(you can get 25% dsicounts by using a coupon code found easily on google)

100 GBs of premium storage (Gbits, not Gbytes)

1 TB of short-path bandwidth

100 unique sites / alternate domains

64MB Ruby/Mongrel container

1,000 GPUs

100 databases

1,000 email addresses

http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/