Looking for 100% Compatibility

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I have found this website super useful and extermeley informative.

Now I will be building a new PC later this year (within 2 months probably) and I want to build it so that it has the best possible compatibility with Mac OS x86 as I can get. I've decided on an Intel Quad Core processor (possibly an DG33TL Intel board if it is compatible), but all components are negotiatble depending on their compatibility. I am planning on getting 4GB of RAM, DVD Burner of some sort, a good video card that will enable speedy video editing and some gaming (the limited gaming available on a mac), etc.

HCL's I found are not very complete and many of their entries/tests of hardware seem to have been performed by single individuals (as in no more than 1 person) of questionable knowledge/skill level, so I don't trust them too much. Last week while googling around I even found conflicting entries where one person said a particular piece of hardware worked fine and another said it didn't at all both on the same release of MacOS.

My goal is to be able to run 10.5 when it is released.

Now I know that compatibility changes from release to release and its hard to predict what will work and what won't, but I guess for the purpose of this let's assume that whatever works in 10.4.10 and the betas of 10.5 will work in the final (if that's a fair assumption).

At the end of the PC being built I would like functioning and stable:

- Sound

- Graphics

- Network

- DVD Writing ability

- FireWire/USB support

- Webcam

I will need to also run the following apps:

- iLife

- iWork

- Photoshop

- MS Office

So if anyone has prefectly working devices from mobos to webcams that work with homebrew macs, please let me know. I appreciate any help I get building this thing.

(As a side note, I am open to work arounds and technical things as long as they aren't too complicated and as long as they work fairly reliably. I am a PC tech for a living and A+ certified and I have some past experience programming C++ and VB, so I know my way around a PC)

I'm in the same boat... looking to build a rock solid machine that completely works, while looking to have compatibility for 10.5. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I'm considering thus far:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0

Intel Q6600 (G0 stepping)

EVGA 7600GT 256MB

G.Skill 4B DDR2800, 4 sticks

SeaSonic SS-650HT

LiteOn Sata DVD-RW drive

Also, I would like to use my Orbit MP webcam... if I can't... which webcams work? Let me know if you see any problems with this hardware... now or for 10.5. If you see any problems, please suggest another option. Thanks again!

There's only one surefire way to guarantee 100% compatability, and that is BUY A MAC.

Seriously, no hackintosh will be 100% compatible, tho you can get pretty close. And before anyone claims that their hacky IS 100% compatible, i'd like you to try the following:

1) Boot to Target Disk Mode.

2) Create a Boot Camp partition on your startup volume using Boot Camp Assistant

WITH THAT MADE CLEAR, however, my hackintosh would seem to fit your needs (in terms of functioning hardware and software):

- Intel D945GTPLR Motherboard (onboard 10/100 LAN, Sigmatel 9223 audio, onboard Firewire, onboard USB all working)

- Intel Pentium D920 (2.8Ghz, 2Mb cache per core, both cores working under OS X)

- GeCube Radeon X1800XL 256Mb PCI-E

To that mix, I added a wifi card, the exact model/make escapes me just now, but it only works with 10.4.5's kexts, and doesnt work under Leopard, so probably best avoided anyway.

The only things which dont work are S3 Sleep (machine appears to sleep and wake correctly, but screen never comes back) and (I think) audio in.

I should point out tho, that this machine is distinctly last-gen in terms of chipset and processor. If I was building it now i'd probably go Core 2 Duo.

kingpikey : Gigabyte P35 mobo is a good choice, I also considered buying the DS4 but I found out it had the same features as the DS3P which is cheaper. I bought that one and as expected it's fully functionnal with mac os x (Jas 10.4.8 in my case).

I recommand this board, it requires some patching for lan and audio (ask me if you can't find them). The only drawback I could find is that boot time is pretty long due to AHCI bios (black screen that lasts about 5 seconds). One other thing, I don't know if it's a specific issue to this board, but I can't install Maya software, since the license requires an ethernet Mac adress, and it can't find the Mac adress of my onboard lan.

A great board anyway!

Hope this helps

If you already have a D945 board, then you already have a very compatible OSX machine. What kind of processor is in there? Why not try out OS X on that machine before shelling out $$$ on a new box? At least you could get to see how well it works, and whether the level of tinkering required to maintain ANY hackintosh is 'worth it' for you personally.

I already priced out some Quad Core configs and I expect I can fit within $600-$650 for a complete PC, given some of the deals I am able to take advantage of. Try getting Quad Core processor, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, and a DVD Burner

If it's possible to get a quad core with 4 GB of ram, DVD burning, and a 250 HD for under $700 that works well... please let me know! :)

If it's possible to get a quad core with 4 GB of ram, DVD burning, and a 250 HD for under $700 that works well... please let me know!

It is entirely possible if you work for a retail chain or know someone who does. Every year Intel offers a special deal on Processor/Mobo combo that is available to those who complete the trainings. It is called "retailedge" and yes they do verify you actually work at a qualifying retail chain (basically any national retailer like Officemax, Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.).

The offer this year will be a Quad Core processor, Motherboard (the one I mentioned which has on-board graphics), and Windows Vista Ultimate for ~$220. When you start with that foundation and add the rest of the parts from NewEgg, you can see yourself how you can fit within that price range for the whole system.

If you already have a D945 board, then you already have a very compatible OSX machine. What kind of processor is in there? Why not try out OS X on that machine before shelling out $$$ on a new box?

I have a Pentium D 820 in that box.

This has been debated several times, but things do change.

There are several good choices for motherboards. The Intel 975bxb2 is a good choice. Bofors has a great thread on building a conroe box with the Intel "BadAxe2". Do a search.

Most 945 boards will not run a "core" or a "quad". Even if they did ...... overclocking is generally poor. Check the Asus P5ld2-vm boards. (the latest rev)

Gforce 7xxx graphics are your best bet now though progress has been made with some of the 8xxx's. XFX's 7600gs or 7600gt have very good reputations and OSX compatibility. With the right kext you can get dual monitor support. Intel's gma950 built in graphics works very well, though the performance is fair at best. With and"add2" card dual monitor support is easy. The latest asus p5ld2 vm (945g) may do everything you need.

Memory - I'm less picky than most - Corsair is fine.

HD's - I like the WD SATA II 3g.

Get a Pioneer DVD burner. It's what Apple uses.

• 2 weeks later...

i swear there used to be a "official will my computer work with osx86"

but i couldnt find it

so ill ask here, im looking at

xplorer X5-7900

Toshiba Tecra A9-ST9002

and

Gateway M-150XL

i was really liking the first one, but i know toshiba laptops run, and run better than my pc runs osx86

id really prefer not to get the gateway

any help would be wonderful

Osx86 has come a long way... there is a LOT of compatible hardware. It really comes down to how much time you want to spend on getting everything working. It seems the three big hurdles are ethernet, sound, and graphics. The good news is if you fail to get your onboard stuff working, there are always pci cards.

Nothing is a sure thing. My motherboard (ga-p35-ds3l) has fully supported onboard nic... supposedly. At least, for everyone else it works. No matter what I do, if I have the nic drivers installed, on the next reboot I get a kernel panic at launch. I'm sure I could spends hours of my life getting it to work, but I just threw in a spare nic card.

Someone can tell you a part is 100% supported, but based on a million other factors, it's no indication of how easy it will be to get running. I'm extremely happy with my current machine, with the exception of the onboard nic issue. My setup:

e2140 @ 2.8ghz + tuniq tower 120

ga-p35-ds3l

600w ocx stealthxstream

2x1gb crucial ballistix tracker ddr2 800mhz

gigabyte 7600gs 256mb

benq dw-1650 dvd+-rw

plethora of hard drives

cooler master rc-690 case

Not bad considering it only cost me $400 (canibalized gfx card and drives from old machine).

• 3 weeks later...
It is entirely possible if you work for a retail chain or know someone who does. Every year Intel offers a special deal on Processor/Mobo combo that is available to those who complete the trainings. It is called "retailedge" and yes they do verify you actually work at a qualifying retail chain (basically any national retailer like Officemax, Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.).

The offer this year will be a Quad Core processor, Motherboard (the one I mentioned which has on-board graphics), and Windows Vista Ultimate for ~$220. When you start with that foundation and add the rest of the parts from NewEgg, you can see yourself how you can fit within that price range for the whole system.

I have a Pentium D 820 in that box.

I thought it was Visa Home Premium that is included in the $219 bundle. I am getting it through the Retail Edge as I work at Compusa! I got 9100 chips wish I had 12000 though so for $30 more I could get the Q6700 instead of the Q6600