iMac second HDD

StefanM

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am going to buy a brand new 24" iMac and I want to plugin a second HDD for Bootcamp, because I also want to use my Bootcamp Installation for Parallels or VMware Fusion.

Is it possible to attach another HDD in the Case of the iMac?

Or is the only possibility to attach a HDD via USB/Firewire and use it with Bootcamp?

But I don´t really want to use a USB device, because it destroys the beautiful look of the iMac :D and because it is much slower than another SATA HDD.

Any ideas?

Maybe there fits a 2.5 Laptop HDD with Serial ATA???

Do you think there is more space inside than in the 20" iMac .

I have no images found from the inside of the 24" iMac?

Is there a second SATA Port, where I can plug in a second HDD. If this port doesn´t exist there is no need of thinking where I could deploy the second HDD :-)

Is there a second SATA Port, where I can plug in a second HDD. If this port doesn´t exist there is no need of thinking where I could deploy the second HDD :-)

I believe Firewire works with Bootcamp. Not sure though.

Yes of course you are right. A second partition would be no problem.

That would help me if I directly start Windows from Bootcamp.

But when I Start Windows from Parallels which is installed on the second partition both OS run from the same Harddrive.

And that makes both OS slower. So the fact is that virtual machines always run faster from a second HDD.

All I want to know if there is space and a second SATA Port on the mainboard

Yes of course you are right. A second partition would be no problem.

That would help me if I directly start Windows from Bootcamp.

But when I Start Windows from Parallels which is installed on the second partition both OS run from the same Harddrive.

And that makes both OS slower. So the fact is that virtual machines always run faster from a second HDD.

All I want to know if there is space and a second SATA Port on the mainboard

And then you need to know if you can actually make it sit in a secure sport without shorting out anything, doubt that there is place in there to actually sort of create a drive bay for it. You'll probably ruin your garantee and you're probably better off using an external firewire or USB drive.

Well putting it in a secure way in such a bay or something like that would be no problem if I would know that there is a second SATA Port and a little space for deploying the second notebook HDD.

The pics in the web are all from the inside of the 20" iMac and there are no pcitures from the mainboard where i can see if there is a second SATA Port

uhh, just to let you know, we do have pictures of the imac opened, and procedure instructions, this is from the forum that i usually use, macrumors, check out the link to the thread below, and look at the first post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...ighlight=scared