iBook G4 12" doesn't start up.

CTJoyce

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been lurking around for some time. Anyway about two months ago I bought a iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz as a platform to learn Mac with, and so I wouldn't have to lug my 17" Dell M1710 with me.

Okay so here is my problem. I wen't to upgrade my tiny 40GB drive to a 120GB. Bought a WD Scorpian and used a guide provided by www.ifixit.com in the process of the install, I managed to rip the power button contact off the logic board. So off to the Genious bar it went. Now that its home I went to go replace the drive (this time i managed to not touch the power cable at all) and for the life of me I couldn't get my apple supplied OS X Tiger reinstall disk to work. So I swapped the new 120 out for the old 40GB and figured I would just do an ISO install off a extirnal HDD. Well when I booted the system up after reinstalling the new drive it booted fine, but when I got into the OS it told me that my date was off. Fixed that, made my ISO and then swapped the 120GB back into the system. WEll when I went to boot, I got the chime, but it took forever to get a grey screen. I held down the option + F2 keys to get the boot selector, and I didn't see my extirnal, which I figured was becasue it wasn't HFS+ formatted. So swapped back the 40GB to go correctly format my extirnal drive from FAT32 to HFS+. This time at boot I get the apple chime, wait a good five minutes for just a grey screen. No ? folder, no black apple, just a grey screen. Now I am still able to get into the boot selector, but it doesn't see the internal drive nor the extirnal. Think I got hit with ESD and just the hard drive is bad? or worse, did I just kill my logic board?

I'm going to try to get to an apple store soon to get this checked out, but at this point I'm almost ready just to send this thing back to the bay (eBay) and buy a new one.

Oh yea and feel free to be as technical as you want to be. I am A+ certified and have been fixing computers forever..... this mac hardware..... its a lot different though, and I gotta say I now understand why if it gets slow you just toss it and buy a new one.

Cheers

Cameron

First off, you were an idiot for ripping open an iBook. I know my way around Mac internals and even I'm not stupid enough to do that. In doing so, you stand a good chance (no matter how good you are with internals) of seriously screwing up the iBook, which is what happened here. Let this be your lesson about PPC iBooks.

The easiest solution is to go back to the 'Bay and get another one. AND DO NOT MESS WITH THE INTERNALS OF ANY PPC IBOOK EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

AND DO NOT MESS WITH THE INTERNALS OF ANY PPC IBOOK EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

lol why, are they made to be nonupgradeable?? or non replaceable, because if so thats dumb, because if one parts obsolete the whole thing is, and if one part fails the whole things done..... thats not very logical.

First off, you were an idiot for ripping open an iBook. I know my way around Mac internals and even I'm not stupid enough to do that. In doing so, you stand a good chance (no matter how good you are with internals) of seriously screwing up the iBook, which is what happened here. Let this be your lesson about PPC iBooks.

The easiest solution is to go back to the 'Bay and get another one. AND DO NOT MESS WITH THE INTERNALS OF ANY PPC IBOOK EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

Maybe if your attention to detail is lacking, I've had at least 10 different ones opened to replace/upgrade various parts, no problems at all.

Oh yea and feel free to be as technical as you want to be. I am A+ certified and have been fixing computers forever..... this mac hardware..... its a lot different though, and I gotta say I now understand why if it gets slow you just toss it and buy a new one.

Cheers

Cameron

Oh god, give me A+ certification then, i have opened mine for 4 times...

Check if you aren't one of those unlucky, with hard disk controllers that screwed things.try to boot from a firewire disk.