Good motherboard needed.

16 posts in this topic

Hey, i bought a P5KC asus mobo and a Q6600 but i wish to return the P5KC as it hangs all the time and its {censored} with osx86.

What asus/non-asus board would u recommend that works flawlessy with mac (with some hacking ofcourse :wacko:) and is still a good board?

i havent had time to research, so im open for suggestions.

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the replies, iw as looking @ the DQ6 motherboard for gigabyte. sounds great! . could someone confirm that this board works well with everything? meaning sata lan etc.

Thanks for the replies once again. if theres any others also please say something.

Regards,

Jeremy

Hmm How much is the P5W compared to the INtel bad axe 2 compared to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6?

i dont want to spend over $300 aud :D . so probs bout 220-250usd? .

Thanks again for the replies. Im not much of an o/c and i dont think my local store sells the intel bad axe 2 ;).

So ill most probs get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6.

i just hope everything works lol. im not gonna buy it yet. could someone confirm that the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 and that everything works with osx?

Yes it works, perform a little search on the forum.

But that's a high end board, built for overclockers.

If you don't overclock, choose a P5W-DH (Chipset 975) or a DS3P (Chipset P35) board.

Both are cheap, and P5W-DH is at it's end of life.

Choose a DS3P, you'll save some money, and you'll be ready for the next generation of CPU (penryn)

hmm well i may just get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6.

With my current board my o.c is pretty limited so yes.

i dont honestly mind spenindg like an extra 50 bucks for a high end board, to me it would be worth it.

that way i if i do decide to upgrade it will still be a good board ;)

i was going to check up on the DS3P but my local store hasnt gottin any in.

Sorry for not searching, as i said ive been really busy lol.

Thanks for all the responses ;)

Hmm How much is the P5W compared to the INtel bad axe 2 compared to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6?

i dont want to spend over $300 aud ;) . so probs bout 220-250usd? .

Thanks again for the replies. Im not much of an o/c and i dont think my local store sells the intel bad axe 2 ;) .

So ill most probs get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6.

i just hope everything works lol. im not gonna buy it yet. could someone confirm that the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 and that everything works with osx?

- Hi - the P5W DH is a known quantity; good 'n bad: one key OSX strength is onboard working PATA off the ICH7R Southbridge, this makes installation pretty simple compared to motherboards with [only] PATA off an jmicron 36x controller - OSX installation media have serious issues with this, forcing many OSX'ers to use SATA or USB DVD-drives for installation.

. . it in fact has a jmicron 363 [which needs to be disabled during installation, re-enabling after first boot & the installation of a suitable *.kext]]; this gives an extra SATA channel, an eSATA port, & the secondary PATA.

It is a famously stable mobo for 'clocking [dunno where 'hackintom' got his peculiar opinion from] - there are looooong threads at Xtreme forums on its use, tweakage, & so on. It is known to work well with 4x 1GB sticks of real JEDEC-standard PC6400 [in contrast to some 'recommended' Gigabyte mobos], & come to that with many non-standard boutique brands of DDR2. It is well made of good quality bits & so on & so forth & has been very well supported by Asus [many BIOS releases, including support for current 65nm 1333MHz C2Ds]: the onboard sound works well in OSX with SPDIF & linein. It is more-or-less uniquely fited with an onboard SATA splitter [the Silicon Image 'steelvine' widget] which gives transparent [ie bootable] SATA 2-port RAID - this is a real boon if your are an old hand & prefer from long hard experience to boot off a mirrored volume.

. . but: AFAIK sleep cannot be made to work [many have tried], it seems decreasingly likely to support the upcoming 'Penryn' [45nm process] C2Ds, & it is just about to be replaced with another highend [the P5W DH is Asus' top-end i975X mobo for home use] mobo using the P38 chipset.

If you prefer know quantities it is a good basis for an OSX system - I think I would just tend to prefer a BadAxe2 if buying today, & would personally wait a few weeks to see what the p38 chipset workstation-quality mobos are like.

I'm very happy with my Bad Axe 2... I read all I could while searching for my system and I'm very happy with it. I know I may want something in the future but by that time i'm not going to be picking one of the "current" models outhere... For the most part out of this 3 motherboards listed by people here... either way you can't go wrong... jump in and join us.... the water is nice and warm. :dev:

haha nice illusion there with the water :P .

I really want to get my OSX86 running.. its just that my current mobo is {censored} (P5KC) so i want to switch it. i was thinking of getting the Gigabyte one mentioned above. it looks great, just curious but does it have line-in working. I have searchd the osx86 wiki but it did not mention that board. What is that site that a user from here made to make hardware listing ALOT easier? i cant seem to find it anymore :).

Just curious but how much is the bad axe 2? Thanks for your replies :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been also looking mobo for quad processor. Any opinions about Asus P5KR? Looks like noone has mentioned it here yet... The reason why I am interested

about it is the price since it is alot cheaper than GA-P35-DQ6/DS3P or intel bad axe2  ;)

It has ICH9R for sata II, but how about those onboard sound, lan, etc?