I just bought an Apple iBook A1005.

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I just bought an Apple iBook A1005 for myself, but I will be giving it to my mom (who is completely computer illeterate, she has never pressed the power button on a computer before) in a few months.

Specs:

APPLE A1005 LAPTOP MANUFACTURER: APPLE MODEL: A1005 PROCESSOR: G3 600MHZ RAM: 128MB HARDDRIVE: 20GB OPTICAL DRIVE: CD A/C ADAPTER: Yes NETWORK: WIFI NIC USB: Yes O/S: 10.2 COLOR: WHITE PHYSICAL CONDITION: GOOD BATTERY

I was wondering if anyone has one of these and what the performance is like.

For example,

Is it noticably struggling for resources and power or does it move pretty seemlessly?

What is the average xbench score for this particular model?

Do you think someone who has never used a computer before will be able to use it?

Is it upgradeable to OS X Tiger and Maybe Leopard or would it be best to leave it as Jaguar?

Any info or comments will be appreciated.

Keep on macKIN'

Thanks in Advance,

Cody

I used to have a G3 800mhz as well... I had 256mb of ram and a dvd drive, and the thing flew with Tiger on it. Very impressive. Xbench score = 15.33. i think it had a 30 gb drive in it. I loved that baby...anyways, add as much ram as you can, and if has a 100mhz front side bus speed, then it should be almost as fast as mine was.You'll find it solid, reliable, and fast [enough] I'm sure for what your mom needs it for.Have fun!Let us know if you have any questions!-UrbyI used to have a G3 800mhz as well... I had 256mb of ram and a dvd drive, and the thing flew with Tiger on it. Very impressive. Xbench score = 15.33. i think it had a 30 gb drive in it. I loved that baby...anyways, add as much ram as you can, and if has a 100mhz front side bus speed, then it should be almost as fast as mine was.You'll find it solid, reliable, and fast [enough] I'm sure for what your mom needs it for.Have fun!Let us know if you have any questions!-Urby

[edit] you'll need a copy of tiger... if your machine has only a cd drive, there are tiger cds on ebay. Otherwise, use target disk mode and a copy of iPartition to copy a tiger dvd to a partition, and once it's all installed, delete that partition and resize the fresh one to the full size of the disk.

oh ok,

well i wont worry about upgrading, like i said i am giving it to my mom, and she doesn't need it but for typing documents, getting online, and checking email.

thanks

well then that suits her needs, but my proposed solution is easy enough, and there will probably be a noticeable speed increse by running tiger, or at least panther, so my advice is simply to go for the latest OS.

I'm running a g3 700 iBook with 10.4.10 and 384 megs RAM. It runs everything fine so far, and seems surprisingly lively for such an old machine. After upgrading the hard drive to a 40 meg one from Toshiba, my Xbench score is the same as Urby's G3 800.

Definitely upgrade the RAM to the maximum (640) with a PC100/133 512 meg SODIMM if you can find a compatible one. I bought one from Centon that was listed as being compatible on their site, only to find it wouldn't work. THEN they tell me the site was wrong. Best bet is to try to find some Apple branded RAM if possible.

Apple is not like Microsoft when it comes to software. Your OS does not have a serial number or registration key. You are safe to update.

Downside: The iBooks are known for video issues caused by the video chip seperating from the logic board due to poor soldering of the BGA. There was a warranty extension that just recently ended regarding this issue.

its refurbished so, i think that was covered if not i get to set it on fire anyways and i have wanted to that,

i saw the video on youtube, fixing the logic board with a candle and alcohol, genius

FIRE!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

i've put 10.4.10 on a G3 imac 500mhz with 384MB without problems...runs firefox just fine but not great with more than a few apps running....

I have a G4 ibook and i've learned that ibooks (including G3's from what I've read)( have an issue with the soldering of the GPU, it tends to be weak and cracks over time. You end up losing all video (including video out) but you can hear the thing boot up without trouble, you might also be able to get it to work by pushing down on the left side of the keyboard (temporary). If you take it to an apple store the genius will tell you it's your logic board and it needs replacing (not the most intelligent financial decision you can make) or buy a new macbook. I actually found an electronics company in Illinois that will remove the GPU, clean the contacts and rework the solder then X-ray it to confirm it's all good...for $60!!! (including return shipping). I'm going to send my G4 board off soon and will post the results for anyone with a busted logic board and knows it's the GPU

i have the exact same model as the one you mentioned except with 384mb of ram. i upgraded to tiger and it works well. i had to find a copy of tiger on cd and it took me a few tries before i realised i should update the firmware. one problem i have with this machine is watching movies. i only use this computer when im away from home. if i watch widescreen videos then it plays smoothly enough using vlc player but if i get a fullscreen 4:3 aspect ratio video it gets really choppy and drops frames from time to time.