Please, need GMA 900 support in Leopard 10.5, any help ?

Glauber Lobo

33 posts in this topic

Do you still have Tiger on another partition? If you do I suppose it might be possible to copy drivers over to Leopard. Alternatively you could search the demon for "9a527" (without quotes) under the category "Applications" and the sub-category "Macintosh" and the last time I checked there is only one torrent that when used, will eliminate all hardware checks, allowing Leopard to be installed even on OLD g3's! ..I have no idea how to use it though :D

• 1 month later...

In console, type "system_profiler" (without quotes of course).

I assume it still works in 10.5. In my 10.4.10 install, you get a large amount of output.... such as....

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R2232)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.10.1

Boot Volume: OSX

Computer Name: OSX

User Name: spaz (spaz)

Graphics/Displays:

Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

I got the system profiler working with the division by 0 patch at osx86scene. but GMA900 doesn't seem to be supported anymore like how Vista Beta supported Aqua and now final version no more.

Things works ok but just under software emulation

Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2592

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display:

Resolution: 800 x 600 @ 85 Hz

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

(the 800x600) is because of the 1-wire patch for external monitor/bluescreen problem in Tiger. I have not remove it yet.

Front Row just black screens also

Photo Booth says video card (QE/CI) not supported

I haven't try DVD player yet, etc

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5 (9A581)

Kernel Version: Darwin 9.0.0

Boot Volume: Leopard

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: ’s ACPI

User Name:

Time since boot: 3 minutes

I suppose the only thing we can now do is hope that the Uphuck /iATKOS release has support for these and someone uploads the patches, or hope that a talented group of coders manage to crack this. I really hope they do, as the lack of QE / CI is the only thing that is making Leopard unusable right now on my machine.

Look. It's not going to happen. Apple haven't updated the GMA900 kexts since early releases in the 10.4.x series and were becoming increasingly untenable to use even late-on in the 10.4.x series. Asking for it to work under 10.5 would basically mean somebody learning all of the Mac OS graphics frameworks and writing a driver from the ground-up based on the Tungsten OSS Linux driver. Apple don't have a reason to support or write drivers for hardware they don't use.

I think we're just going to have to accept that GMA900 machines are untenable under Leo. Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
yes... here is a few words.....buy a $50 7300GS

Yeah, except that might be kinda hard to do on a laptop..

I just talked with ezkurza (from the uphuck/iATKOS developers) and he said there will be no support/drivers for the 900. Granted, it sucks, but, we're just going to have to deal with no QE/CI.

Looks like it's time to start finding a good deal on a laptop that's OSx86 compataible.....

grant

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda got it working, using a custom version of AppleIntel915.kext, but alot of things don't work now.. CoverFlow (both in the Finder and iTunes), Preview, and the transparent menu bar are a few of the problems that I have noticed so far..

Intel 915 *will* work on Leopard, we just need to figure it out. Instead of focusing on the 915 kext from Tiger, we should focus on the 950 kext in leopard.

How can I say this? Because the official system requirements for leopard say you can run it on any intel, G5 or G4 based computer. I don't think Apple is going to drop QE/CI on macs (minis) released barely 2-3 years ago. To start off, can someone who owns such a mac mini with i915 please report if QE/CI works in Leopard?

Also, on opening up the GMA950 kexts and bundles from leopard, you can see liberal use of the "i915" keyword. The driver bundle name itself is Intel i915 Graphic Driver if I remember correctly. In fact the GMA950 kext specifically lists 0x8086 0x2592 as one of the supported VID/PID - which is a 915GM graphic card, same as mine.

All in all, I think instead of having a separate AppleIntel915.kext in leopard, Apple has integrated the drivers for intel 915, 945 etc. into one driver named AppleIntelGMA950. Already people are reporting success with prelim QE/CI support using 915 kext referencing the 950 bundle/plugin. But not full support (of course).

Though I come from a linux world and am relatively inexperienced in OSX, I'm determined to get it to work. Will report back if I have any good news.