Please, need GMA 900 support in Leopard 10.5, any help ?

Glauber Lobo

33 posts in this topic

How can I say this? Because the official system requirements for leopard say you can run it on any intel, G5 or G4 based computer. I don't think Apple is going to drop QE/CI on macs (minis) released barely 2-3 years ago. To start off, can someone who owns such a mac mini with i915 please report if QE/CI works in Leopard?

I don't know what you're talking about, but there's no such thing as a Mac with an Intel 915 AFAIK. I have a mac mini with a 1.5 GHz Core Solo, that's the oldest Intel Mac Mini there is, and it has an Intel GMA 950. Older Mac Minis use an ATI cards, so there's no Mac with a GMA 915...

I currently (without having any time spent on it, just Kalyway install and no more) have native resolution support on my laptop, but it only starts with external monitor attached. Core Image is done in software, Quartz Extreme is MIA. I hope someone will figure this all out, but I really doubt we'll get anywhere with the apple driver...

Regards,

Michael

Very old developer transition kit systems had 915 drivers. I read somewhere that early mac minis also sported 915 chips, but apparently not.

Anyway I've narrowed it down to an OpenGL context problem. It's not just a .kext issue, the hardware driver works fine, which I verified using example code from the developer website (VideoHardwareInfo). It shows Intel GMA 900 OpenGL, using the stock AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver with the 915 kext, confirming my suspicion that the 950's support 900 as well. Further, what is the GMA950GA? Graphics accelerator driver? Because switching over to the 915GA seems not to have any effect whatsoever. Can someone look into the Info.plist for 915.kext and tell me what the string ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e supposed to be?

However, it seems that the windowserver requires some specific capabilities (perhaps larger shaders or GLSL 1.20 for the blur effect?), and so instead of attaching to the GMA 900 renderer, it falls back to the software renderer. Using the OpenGL Shader Builder that comes with Xcode, I confirmed that the hardware renderer is not attaching the context ("invalid drawable" error), but the software renderer works.

The 915 kext itself is fine though, because I can get hardware color correction and I suspect that 2D acceleration is also working. Also, the built-in fullscreen zoom (Ctrl+mouse wheel) is linear filtered instead of blocky as with the software emulation. I also get (a bit different) 'ripples' when adding widgets. So CoreImage is probably working and accelerated.

Just not the OpenGL. ;) And since the windowserver, finder etc. all use openGL, they all don't work properly either. Using OpenGL.framework from Tiger causes a constant loop at the loginwindow, and I can't read the error message.

So, who's up for porting Xorg intel driver to OSx86? :graduated: Actually in the long run it might be beneficial to have a framework for porting Xorg/X11 drivers to OSX (think nVidia 8x00 support..).

post-91736-1201048069_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Please,

need GMA 900 support in Leopard 10.5, any idea, any help ??

hi,

i have the same problem :) i saw one solution with "by pass" to connection external monitor...

the big problem r the macox just work with the dual-monitor... :(

• 5 months later...

sorry to revive an old thread, but has there been any development on this? Cover Flow works in Finder (so the card is OBVIOUSLY capabale of displaying it), but in iTunes, cover flow and new 8.0 visuals dont work, as well as other programs. any updates? kaly 10.5.3 here

• 2 weeks later...

There is development on this, in fact there is a driver and guide over here

I am using an old dv1000 with gma915 and it works great! only downside is that you get some minor artifacts when typing in some input boxes (itunes search, folder/file renaming) but nothing major. Definitely better than being stuck with no QE/CI.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Almost have GMA900 working but now I am @ a loss.

I found info that had me playing around.

I used AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext from

GMA900 R2 Pack thats floating around...

that seems to give me my resolution changes.

I found this post out there that I did and got C&Q working

Almost......

Post is such:

1) Go to /Systems/Library/Extensions

2) Move, erase, or rename AppleIntelGMA950.kext to disable it

3) Obtain AppleIntel915.kext from your Tiger installation which is 10.4.8 or newer!

4) Edit Info.plist and search for these branches:

4.a) IOCFPlugInTypes and rename it to AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin to engage Leopard's native one

4.;) IODVDBundleName and rename it to AppleIntelGMA950DVDDriver to engage Leopard's native one(AppleIntelGMA950VADriver)

4.c) IOGLBundleName and rename it to AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver to engage Leopard's native one

5) Repair permissions

6) Delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

7) Reboot

Now I did that......I quit out on permissions cause it just sat there.

But after reboot I had C&Q support!

Before I did this my flash vids would stop,QT movies would not do anything.

QT & Flash are perfect

Transparent images are good.

Now the problem.....

Cover Flow is non-existant.

Preview does not work now. Worked before without the C&Q support.

but I can open an image in colorsync Util and its fine..thumbnails are also good.

No trails or oddities at all other than those 2 things being dead.

I never use cover flow so no loss but preview will do no images

Preview WILL let me view PDF's though! Just not images.

I posted a pict (If I did it right) screen capture.

Cel D 2.5

1.25GB Ram

IntelGMA900

post-155055-1223590375_thumb.png

Almost have GMA900 working but now I am @ a loss.

I found info that had me playing around.

I used AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext from

GMA900 R2 Pack thats floating around...

that seems to give me my resolution changes.

I found this post out there that I did and got C&Q working

Almost......

Post is such:

1) Go to /Systems/Library/Extensions

2) Move, erase, or rename AppleIntelGMA950.kext to disable it

3) Obtain AppleIntel915.kext from your Tiger installation which is 10.4.8 or newer!

4) Edit Info.plist and search for these branches:

4.a) IOCFPlugInTypes and rename it to AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin to engage Leopard's native one

4.:) IODVDBundleName and rename it to AppleIntelGMA950DVDDriver to engage Leopard's native one(AppleIntelGMA950VADriver)

4.c) IOGLBundleName and rename it to AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver to engage Leopard's native one

5) Repair permissions

6) Delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

7) Reboot

Now I did that......I quit out on permissions cause it just sat there.

But after reboot I had C&Q support!

Before I did this my flash vids would stop,QT movies would not do anything.

QT & Flash are perfect

Transparent images are good.

Now the problem.....

Cover Flow is non-existant.

Preview does not work now. Worked before without the C&Q support.

but I can open an image in colorsync Util and its fine..thumbnails are also good.

No trails or oddities at all other than those 2 things being dead.

I never use cover flow so no loss but preview will do no images

Preview WILL let me view PDF's though! Just not images.

I posted a pict (If I did it right) screen capture.

Cel D 2.5

1.25GB Ram

IntelGMA900