Asus P5k-E Quick Guide

Khid

21 posts in this topic

Alright, I spent days trying to figure this out. And, now it's time for me to pass on the information.

NEEDED:

JaS 10.4.8 Latest DVD (I used JaS 10.4.8 -> koolcal 10.4.9 Combo Updater)

Koolcal 10.4.10 Intel Auto-Updater

asap18's BASH SCRIPT

Sata DVD (I used Pioneer)

BIOS:

Sata Configuration -> AHCI (this is the only thing I have to do for my install to work)

PROCEDURE ---

Step 1) JaS 10.4.8 Install

- Boot from JaS DVD

- UTILTIIES > DISK UTILITY > Format HDD Mac OSX (journaled) Master Boot Record (if the option does not exist, then don't worry about it).

- Install appropriate options. I did NOT USE X11 cause I have no idea what it is. Nor did I install printer drivers.

- Reboot and it should load into OS X. Press F8 at Startup to get to Darwin's loading option prompt and type -v to see what's goin on.

- You should boot up. The JaS DVD works too great for words.

- Transfer your files accordingly if you have more than one OS X install in your rig.

- DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.4.9!!!

Step 2) JaS 10.4.9 -> Koolcal 10.4.10 Update

- Unpack the JaS 10.4.10 Intel Update and run it.

- Should install, prompt for reset and reboot.

- You now have 10.4.10 updated and working (or you should).

- Again, press F8 and boot and type -v to see what's going on if you're having issues and report here or somehwere else on the boards.

Step 3) asap18's Bash Script Installations

- Unpack asap18's Bash script to the DESKTOP.

- Navigate to the unpacked files andCopy the p5kefix.sh file to another directory.

- Open the original and delete these lines:

cp -fpr ./files/AppleAHCIPort.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext

cp -fpr ./files/AppleVIAATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext

rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

- SAVE THE FILE.

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

CODE

cd desktop/p5ke

chmod +x p5kefix.sh

sudo ./p5kefix.sh

- Input your password, let the BASH do it's work.

- Type SUDO -S in Terminal

- Type REBOOT and press ENTER. Your Rig should reset.

- Almost done. When you boot back into OS X, go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES>NETWORK. Your ETHERNET CONNECTION should pop up. Click APPLY NOW and you should have working net, audio, and your host connections (Firewire, USB, etc).

Step 4) Apple Updates Server

- I grabbed everything but these updates: Apple Security Updates, Audio Fix, Airport Extreme Update. I have no idea if these work. Try at your own risk.

Step 5) Enjoy your P5k usage. I know I am... FINALLY.

I am working on WIRELESS from another thread and getting whatever else I'm missing.

Final Cut Studio 2 works with all updates. Nothing's wrong with the install or framework.

Note: I do own the FCS2 software, so that might be different for some people.

Hope this help someone!

Thanks to asap18, GingerPrince, and Badge-- the original p35 thread-- for the help.

hey man, thanks for posting all that. right now i'm having a problem though and wondering if you could help?

My Specs:

Asus P5K-E Board

Core 2 Duo E6750 Chip

OCZ PC6400 Ram (4) x 1gig

Nvidia 6800 Seris Video Card

1 x 500 SATAII (XP)

1 x 320 SATAII (NTFS Back Up drive)

1 x 120 IDE (Want to install OS 10.4.7 here)

Everytime i try and load 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 they both give me an error like:

"System config file ' /com.apple.Boot.plist' not found"

i've changed the SATA to AHIC like you said and still having that error.

what other options might there be to getting around this?

logicalways@hotmail.com

Cheers

hey man, thanks for posting all that. right now i'm having a problem though and wondering if you could help?

My Specs:

Asus P5K-E Board

Core 2 Duo E6750 Chip

OCZ PC6400 Ram (4) x 1gig

Nvidia 6800 Seris Video Card

1 x 500 SATAII (XP)

1 x 320 SATAII (NTFS Back Up drive)

1 x 120 IDE (Want to install OS 10.4.7 here)

Everytime i try and load 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 they both give me an error like:

"System config file ' /com.apple.Boot.plist' not found"

i've changed the SATA to AHIC like you said and still having that error.

what other options might there be to getting around this?

logicalways@hotmail.com

Cheers

What type of dvd drive are u using? If its a regular IDE drive it usually gives that error.

Hi,

I've :

Asus P5K-E (WiFi-AP Edition if make any difference)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

2 Geil Ultra Plus PC2-8500 DDR2 x 2GB

1 Asus EN7300LE video board

1 SATA 250GB

1 SATA 200GB

1 SATA Pioneer DVD-ROM (adapted from IDE)

I'm using Uphuck 10.4.9. v.1.3 to install. I do have also "koolkal 10.4.10 combo update intel sse3 only" and p5ke.zip (hoping is asap18's script...).

Sata Configuration -> AHCI.

Everything goes OK as described in your usefull guide but after rebooting I'm unable to boot from both my SATA disks.

I've played with BIOS configs with no luck.

The only thing I'm wandering is the fact that you say there is no need of Master Boot Record.

In which way then the PC boot?

I do not think the problem is in Uphuck 10.4.9. v.1.3 DVD since I've installed on othere NoBo (intel) succesfully.

Thanks anyway for the guide.

Hi khid,

i red all the thread with asap, gingerprince and badge, and i wanted to understand why didn't you post your conclusion on this thread too because it seems that you learned from them?

Well, there are my questions : when you say to delete some lines in the bash script is it to fix the sleep issue as report in the other thread by someone saying that when the ICH9R is recognized as ICH8 by changing is ID it's more efficent then when recognized as generic, and that this get him sleep to work also.... or did you say to erase those lines just because of your installs issues that you reported over there? Because it seems that almost everybody installed uphuck 1.3 or 1.2 and then updated by 10.4.10 and it worked for them, and i also saw there that uphuck seems to be the best way for good results (meens benches or programs compatibility ?) with this board... so i still don't know which way to follow..

Maybe if you could tell me if you got usb onboard working without or with patching or not working, wireless with the realtek driver, and what about sleep... And also a great thing would be your benches that you finally didn't post there.

I hope you will answer me sooon, because i need to build a hack on the beginning of the week and i prefer to check everything before..

thanks ;)

I just did a clean install using the XxX 10.4.10 install disk. The install disk booted up no problems on SATA DVD (I used -s -v boot options). I didn't install any options, but deleted verbose mode. Rebooted, did registration, then installed jccool X1950XT 10.4.10 for my board, and then asap18 bash script for sound and LAN. Everything works great. Thanks for everyones hard work.

• 2 weeks later...

in order to be able to boot you must format your hd in master boot record (mbr); you can alternatively install a boot manager like acronis but you will need a windows partition.

to format with mbr go to disk utility, select appropriate disk then go to partition and select mbr.

sorry for my bad english and hope to be help someone.

any suggestion for run properly sound blaster audigy 2 nx usb or ati x1950 xtx?

thank's in advance

• 2 weeks later...

This is great stuff. Just built my second P5K Deluxe based on original recommendation by our Dear Leader. Here's some additions:

1) The first box came together but still won't boot without a DVD. I don't know the story on patching that up yet, but it can wait. The second box apparently has boot blocks, the only difference in how I built them was the second box got the disk formatted first with manual use of Disk Utility, not default setup by the installer. So if you want to do that, launch the installer, go to the tools menu, then run disk utility to get your drive ready first.

1a) Both my systems have 7600GT, and the Titan driver was necessary to avoid ghosting when windows are dragged.

2) I ran asap18's shell script without modifications. What's the scoop on the mods? What purpose do they serve? asap18 has a P5K deluxe now, so I'd have thought he'd have released the mods if they were necessary?

3) Upgrading to 10.4.9 with the JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip requires both the installer pack and the smbfs patch if you want to mount network drives from the finder without silent failures. I think the latter just patches symlinks.

4) At this point, most everything worked, but my real time clock was fast, so I downloaded and installed ToH-xnu-792.18.15-SSE3-1.zip for a replacement kernel. A trick I use to avoid doinking with the permissions is to use 'cat /path/to/new/mach_kernel > /mach_kernel' (note the use of '>').

5) You might want to check the version of your BIOS ROM, mine is '501' from the Asus website and it seems to be stable on both machines. If you use a later version and it's stable for you after a week or two, please post the version number to this thread.

Two last things I'd like to get working, any pointers appreciated:

1) Dual display on 7600GT. I've seen all the pointers to natit, but I need to get an authoritative doc on what works. I've had a lot of problems getting both displays to come up.

2) Sleep is 'almost there'. So far I've turned on S3, Repost Video on sleep, ACPI enabled, and ACPI APIC enabled. The machine sleeps just fine, but when it wakes, I first get the old image, then about ten seconds later the screen changes to a soft blue boot-like screen where there is a spinning circle of grey bars, like one sees when the machine is booting. My guess is it's lost the root volume or something critical like that, next step is to ssh in, sleep the box and wake it, then snoop around on the ssh term.

Again, if anyone's got info on these two, please do post it!

Mad props to asap18, Diabolik, JaS, and the other folks who didn't fart in my direction as I got a fast education on kext packaging on IRC.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Wifi is fully working on P5K-E under Jas 10.4.9 using drivers from realtek site

Here's the link

has anybody made it work in leopard yet?

I tried installing same drivers in leopard.. the wifi works but is unable to connect to any AP

Edit: okay wifi is fully working on leopard too

just remember to repair disk permissions after driver install :)

Hi,

Where can I download asap18's BASH SCRIPT???

Thanks in advance!

Alright, I spent days trying to figure this out. And, now it's time for me to pass on the information.

NEEDED:

asap18's BASH SCRIPT

BIOS:

Sata Configuration -> AHCI (this is the only thing I have to do for my install to work)

PROCEDURE ---

- Boot from JaS DVD

- UTILTIIES > DISK UTILITY > Format HDD Mac OSX (journaled) Master Boot Record (if the option does not exist, then don't worry about it).

- Install appropriate options. I did NOT USE X11 cause I have no idea what it is. Nor did I install printer drivers.

- Reboot and it should load into OS X. Press F8 at Startup to get to Darwin's loading option prompt and type -v to see what's goin on.

- Transfer your files accordingly if you have more than one OS X install in your rig.

- Again, press F8 and boot and type -v to see what's going on if you're having issues and report here or somehwere else on the boards.

- Navigate to the unpacked files andCopy the p5kefix.sh file to another directory.

cp -fpr ./files/AppleAHCIPort.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext

- SAVE THE FILE.

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

CODE

cd desktop/p5ke

chmod +x p5kefix.sh

sudo ./p5kefix.sh

- Almost done. When you boot back into OS X, go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES>NETWORK. Your ETHERNET CONNECTION should pop up. Click APPLY NOW and you should have working net, audio, and your host connections (Firewire, USB, etc).

- I grabbed everything but these updates: Apple Security Updates, Audio Fix, Airport Extreme Update. I have no idea if these work. Try at your own risk.

I am working on WIRELESS from another thread and getting whatever else I'm missing.

Final Cut Studio 2 works with all updates. Nothing's wrong with the install or framework.

Hope this help someone!

Thanks to asap18, GingerPrince, and Badge-- the original p35 thread-- for the help.

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can download Asap18s Bash script for the Asus P5K-E motherboard to get sound and the network working?

Thanks in advance!

NEEDED:

asap18's BASH SCRIPT

BIOS:

PROCEDURE ---

- Boot from JaS DVD

- SAVE THE FILE.

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

CODE

cd desktop/p5ke

chmod +x p5kefix.sh

sudo ./p5kefix.sh

Hope this help someone!

nKay...

So I finally found it. Here is the post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=495056

I installed all the kexts and now everything works fine.

With a little post reading I got there. Not to mention the invaluable google search "site:insanelymac.com" (because the forum search is uPhucked).

The above method (Jas 10.4.8 install + Koolkal 10.4.10 update + p5kefix script) will give anyone with a p5ke/wifiAP a working os x install.

I tried to install the realtek wifi driver but could not get it to work. If I only install the realtek driver I cannot connect to any router. I have tried both 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 and they both give me the same outcome.

If I run the asap18 script the realtek application doesn't start att all. In system prefrences - network it shows no Ethernet connection any more.

vikingboy: you say that you have to repair disk permissions to get it to work. How do I do that?

If anybody has gotten both the wifi and the asap script to work, how did you do?

I have:

asus p5k-e wifi ap mobo

intel core 2 duo 2,66GHz E5750

• 2 weeks later...
Wifi is fully working on P5K-E under Jas 10.4.9 using drivers from realtek site

Here's the link

has anybody made it work in leopard yet?

I tried installing same drivers in leopard.. the wifi works but is unable to connect to any AP

Edit: okay wifi is fully working on leopard too

just remember to repair disk permissions after driver install :(

@vikingboy

Does u mean it is recognised as an Airport card ??

WIFI does not work as Airport. It works as a Realtek 8187. You need to have a separate program open (the realtek wireless app) to get a signal.

Works very well though.

hi Jackt283 thanks for ur response!

I'm going to builld a machine similar to yours, and I'm looking around on IM about good details on installing it flawlessly..but it seems it's not often used this MB ain't it ?

bytheway on tiger have you succesful everything working ?

Even sleep, audio multichannell? Are u using a efi nstallationbased or not ?

Thanks for ur Time.

-FavleX

p.s. maybe for An Airport i must decide to buy a pci-card N osxsupported one..

I'm having network issues.

Each night my gigabit lan drops it's connection. U have to unenable, reenable the device, then renew the connection to get it to come back.

It could be a host of things - transmission for one, and perhaps little snitch. Anyone else having issues with the p5k-e and network connection loses?

EDIT: It's definitely a LAN/network driver issue, as the whole interface goes down during the night. The second light on the back stops flashing, and I have to manually diddle with the settings in network prefs to get it to flash again. Driving me up the wall seeing as our ISP doesn't monitor downloads at night! so every morning i wake up, and the sodding thing has died for no apparent reason.

the p5k-e is giving me quite a few troubles actually. First the SATA burner forgetting it exists when you leave a disc in for more than about 4 minutes, and now this network driver issue. Can't say I'm getting much (or any at all) support either!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having network issues.

Each night my gigabit lan drops it's connection. U have to unenable, reenable the device, then renew the connection to get it to come back.

It could be a host of things - transmission for one, and perhaps little snitch. Anyone else having issues with the p5k-e and network connection loses?

EDIT: It's definitely a LAN/network driver issue, as the whole interface goes down during the night. The second light on the back stops flashing, and I have to manually diddle with the settings in network prefs to get it to flash again. Driving me up the wall seeing as our ISP doesn't monitor downloads at night! so every morning i wake up, and the sodding thing has died for no apparent reason.

the p5k-e is giving me quite a few troubles actually. First the SATA burner forgetting it exists when you leave a disc in for more than about 4 minutes, and now this network driver issue. Can't say I'm getting much (or any at all) support either!

I'm having the same issues with my P5K-E using Leopard (PC-EFI) 10.5.1. I have installed the IONetworkingFamily.kext that allows time machine to work, and I do get ethernet, but most mornings when I come the networking is hung. 'sudo ifconfig en0 down' followed by 'sudo ifconfig en0 up' fixes it immediately. Anyone figure this out yet? Perhaps there's a new driver somewhere we don't know about?