OSX crashes 4h 5 minutes after startup - every time

JeanLuc7

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I installed OSX on my ASRock Conroe 945 in February this year, and it was very stable. But in the last few days it crashes and shows me the reboot-your-system screen every 4 hours and 5 minutes after startup. When I restart, it lasts again 4h 5min.

First I thought I had installed some update or software which caused a network error or something. Then I re-installed OSX - same result. I did it again, this time leaving the system without any further installation (just Realtek Driver, USB Fix and Azalia Audio adjustments). Same result.

This looks strange. I did not install any new hardware. I checked the temperature and put the system under heavy load - nothing changed the behaviour. It crashes after 4 hours and 5 minutes. And it runs perfectly stable before. There's no crash log of course...

Any ideas? I have no more ideas where I should search.

Thanks,

JL

Hi again,

i checked these items but found nothing strange. Just did a new install with a different image, but same effect - 4h and 5 mins after booting up it shows the black screen and lets me reboot the system.

The log files in /Library/Logs do not show any entry. So where may I look to get rid of this annoying feature? Can anybody help me?

Regards

JL

Hi i have the same problem, but the timing differs sometimes from 4 hours to 12h, i still don't know the cause, i changed my graphic card from ati x1600 pro to geforce 7600 gs same problem remains + motherboard from intel 945gpm to asus p5b-e, same problem remains, stable 100% until it enters the dark hours from 4h to 12h, sometimes i do restart the machine to prevent having the restart screen appearing in the middle of an important task, no one did or could help my case, but maybe i'll give you a hint, i have two computers connected with a router, and what makes me think it has relation with a network issue is the fact that when my pc shows the restart screen my brother's pc shows it some seconds after me, i have tried a network card dlink 528t + dlink wifi usb, and the problem still remains, which means it's not a hardware issue.

Hi again,

I also have 2 installations, however they do not crash together - but they both do after 4h, 5 minutes. I did the following tests:

1) Fresh installation from 2 different 10.4.8-versions - I added Network, Audio and USB support only.

2) Disabled ntp and Spotlight

All this had no effect. Today I check wether disconnecting the Ethernet cable would prevent the system from crashing. I also undid the changes to my network from the last two weeks. One was to change Ethernet frames on a NAS (Buffalo TeraStation) from Jumbo size back to normal size. The other was integrating a Sony Broadcast station or the PSP - I disconnected it and switched it off. Therefore the second system is still connected to the internal network. I will report if that did the trick.

JL

Hi again,

this time my modifications worked, both machines are still running after 16 hours. What did I do?

+ I set the Ethernet frame size from my Buffalo TeraStation from "Jumbo Size" back to "normal"

+ I switched off the WLAN Broadcast station for my PSP

To re-check what was wrong I reconnected the Broadcast station 3 hours ago and I am still waiting for a possible crash. If that will work correctly, I will change the frames back to Jumbo - maybe that brings back the crashes.

So check if your network uses unusual Broadcasts or frame sizes. Maybe that will do the trick for you.

JL

• 2 weeks later...

How do you change Framsize of your Ethernet?

I have the same problem, If I leave the computer it crashes after 10 minutes.

often crashes during sceensaver.

Crashes when been running 1-1.5 hour.

Very annoying.

10.4.10 Q6600

GA-P35-DQ6

RXXXX.kext

Jas 10.4.8 Jas combo update 10.4.9 Koolkal Update 10.4.10

//Olof

Well - first I changed the Ethernet Frame Sizes on my NAS to Jumbo, which caused the problems. As I also did several other changes, it was difficult to find out what caused the problems. But changing the settings on the NAS back to normal did the trick.

JL

Hi:

Sorry fo my english, i had the same problem, freezy or crash after 1 or two hours, my mobo is msi 945GM3-F, after vs hours I know that problem was realtek drivers, the problem begin after fix the network, ( this patch is the wrong http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/...xx_1.02.pkg.zip ).

I buy a cheap (U$5 in argentine) network card encore enl82-tx-rent, it is based en chip realtek 8139D, down drivers of the realtek official, all work perfect..

IMPORTANT: uninstall the drivers http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/...xx_1.02.pkg.zip who cause conflict.

I'm sure most of you are aware, but for those who aren't:

If you have a notebook, OS X will try to put it to sleep, which will usually result in a crash (unless you are one of the lucky ones who can actually sleep). Maybe this is also true on a desktop?

I had to disable sleep in the system preferences.

you better try to close the sleep functions, i did have such experiences before and i suspect it should some incompatible issue relate to ntfs-3g or bt-ing, my system crashes with no reason(i didn't know how long? i didn't for it) , but now my system is fine after i closed the sleep functions and try to use ntfs-3g , dun know if this help, but my nb can actually sleep and wake up =( weird

Hi,

I was aware of that sleep problem - I switched it off right after installation. There we see a correct going-to-sleep but a never-wake-up. Here I had a real crash with the black screen of death requesting me to restart the computer. But finally I fixed it :-)

JL