Install reboots instantly (JaS OSX 10.4.8) (Asus F3sv)

antaholics

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm installing the JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my Asus F3sv

Specs

• Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB
  • Intel PM965 Series Crestline Chipset 800MHz FSB + ICH8M (Santa Rosa)
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
  • 15.4" WXGA+(1440x900) LCD
  • 1024MB x 1 DDR2 667MHz; two sockets for expansion up to 4GB
  • 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS with built-in 256MB VRAM (TurboCache up to 512MB w/ 1GB RAM and 1GB w/ 2GB RAM) & DX10 support
  • 8x Super-Multi DVD-RW Dual Layer with LightScribe
  • Intel Wireless 4965AGN Draft-N Wi-Fi network adapter
  • Built-in 1.3M webcam with 240 degree swivel and LED lighting
  • Bluetooth, Fingerprint Scanner, 8-in-1 card reader
  • 6 Cell Li-Ion Battery
  • Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN
  • A/C Adapter Output: 19 V DC, 90W, Worldwide (100V-240V)
  • 6.5 lbs & 14.2" * 10.5" * 1.1"-1.6"
  • BIOS Booting / HDD User Password Protection and security lock
  • Kensington Lock Slot
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
  • Built-in Fingerprint Reader

I tried the JaS Mac OSX 10.4.5 and 10.4.8 versions, and both had the same problem. When I boot the installer DVD, it starts loading the Darwin stuff and then the screen goes black and the computer reboots. I tried using the -v and -x extensions, and a bunch of text comes up (I think they look like they're loading different files or something) and the computer reboots right after that, so I don't know what the error is. Any idea how I can get it working? (maybe another version? or something wrong with my computer?) I'm currently running windows Vista, but I doubt that makes a big difference...

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm installing the JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my Asus F3sv

When I boot the installer DVD, it starts loading the Darwin stuff and then the screen goes black and the computer reboots. I tried using the -v and -x extensions, and a bunch of text comes up (I think they look like they're loading different files or something) and the computer reboots right after that, so I don't know what the error is. Any idea how I can get it working? (maybe another version? or something wrong with my computer?) I'm currently running windows Vista, but I doubt that makes a big difference...

Thanks in advance!

Just letting you know that installing osx86 on your PC is not simple or straight forward, and you must be prepared for that. osX is designed for Apple specific hardware. You may spend days and not get far. I have only bothered because, i "have to know how something works".

the "-v" flag or "kernel argument" tells it to show all that darwin stuff.

That "darwin stuff" is the computer showing what is doing as it is detecting hardware and loading drivers and the OS. Windows does the same thing, but it "hides" it.

I suggest you take a photo of where the darwin stuff ends and post it on flickr with a link. And, read it, look for something like a "kernel panic" phrase, and search phrases that seem to be a problem before the "panic". It is in english so you should get a vague understanding of wht is going on. The goal is to solve a "kernel panic" 's as you tinker.

Goodluck. It's not for the faint hearted unless you are a luckyone, for whom it just works. Like Mac owners.

To the latter post. Remarks like that will get you no help what so ever.

Peace.

ya, I know what is happening when the computer is loading the setup files... but the thing is, the text comes up on the screen for about 1/100 of a second then the screen goes blank and my computer reboots, so I have NOTHING to start my search on...

My approach FWIW

First try the -s flag to see if single user mode is possible. ?

After that it's trouble shooting .

Check bios settings USB, 2 cores etc.

Most likely its an offending kext like pcmcia or firewire.

Which means wmware install or pacifist to remove things from the dmg/iso or pulling the Drive and installing through an enclosure and removing kexts after the install.

Had prettty good luck with JaS 10.4.6 . Never used Upchuck's releases

Don't give up.

Im having the same exact problem while trying to install

Ive been searching the threads for days and this is the first time i have come across

people actully having the same problem

Has anybody had any breakthrews or anything

Please let me know, thanks

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same issue. My best guess is the firewire (although I Dont know if we have the same firewire)

the way I got it to run was with a bunch of flags.

(I was too lazy to determine which ones actually did the work)

platform=X86PC cpus=1 -legacy -f -x

you could also try platform=ACPI

When doing this my laptop gets as far as to the firewire, and then the usual "still waiting for root..."

...help?

Hi, I have ASUS F3SC notebook.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelme...l3=316&l4=0

I can install JaS only with the cpus=1 -v -x option.

The cpus=1 solves the reboot thing, both at install and when booting from hdd.

Without the -x option, the booting process stops at a line:

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00437lp1.jpg

When I use the -x option, it goes towards and starts the install interface, installation is successful:

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00439bd8.jpg

After installing the -x option does not help. It stucks at the "Using ..." line.

I can only install JaS, tried XxX, Kalyway, Uphuck 1.4 r2&r3. ALL stops at the same line at booting!

I heard that it could be something with some low-level acpi extensions, because it stucks before the IOAPIC line.

Disable all unnecessary hardware in your BIOS. USB, FIREWIRE, LAN, SOUND etc. Then try booting. Also I cannot see your full screen. The ACPIThermal error is normal and unrelated to OSX hanging.

Booting issues could also be due to Natit/Titan. If you have a nVidia card, you may need to boot using -s and delete the nVidia related kexts. Search for more information

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten it to work yet? anyone tried any newer versions of OSX? I'm going to try again with the cpus=1 and -x -v and I'l update if I get any different results

Edit/Update:

I used cpus=1 -v -x and got the install to run smoothly, but when it boots up now it gives me a HFS+ partition error. I've tried for hours looking everywhere for a solution, but nothing has helped. Is anyone else getting this problem?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think we are all receiving kernel panic errors.

At first I had a problem with not even being able to install the os on my system. I played around with my BIOS alot and injected an nforce patch into the .iso and reburnt the image. This seemed to work, I could install the os but when it came to booting from the HDD i would be stuck in a boot loop. I re-installed the os changing a few drivers around and "BAM", it booted but then i got stuck at the old "still waiting for root device error". So i am starting to believe that I just have to get the driver configuration perfect so I do not get a kernal panic error. I also believe the "still waiting for root device" has somthing to do with my chipset. I have got around it before so why cant I get around it again. I am trying different kernals and so forth at the moment so i will keep you updated.

Update: