Unofficial - Nvidia 8600GTS thread

miko88

62 posts in this topic

Apples 8600 uses a different "BIOS" than the ones we use in standard PC. This is making it more difficult to get the drivers to work. Since PC does not have Apples EFI we have to translate all to BIOS codes. EFI is much different than BIOS so its not a simple update. Be patient and don't bug the people who are working on this, they need time to work on it , not time to read 200 e-mails a day to ask how far they are.

I'm anxiously waiting this as well. After the new iMacs came out and it was revealed they used mediocre GPUs, I decided I'd give Hackintosh another try. I got everything working (after 2 nights of work) with Uphuck except my Windows RAID drives, with my 6800GT card.

Then I ordered a new 8600GTS, but only discovered after the fact it's not supported yet. It's a shame, it's fanless, and runs games much faster than my old card.

• 2 months later...

damn i did..

with the normal installation the system hangs at "login window application started..."

if i modify geforce,nvda50,nvdaresman with my id (0421) the osx boots ,it loads the nvidia kext (unknown card) but still no qe/ci enabled

i know that it loads the kext cause otherwise in "about this mac" it should say "kext not loaded"

the strange thing is that xbench gives me 200 result for quarz extreme and 100+ for opengl...!?

i need to enable the card to try final cut on this machine!! (q6600 oc to 3.2)

if it runs smoothly bye bye pc premiere etc etc

but i'm using 8.9.1 kernel (uphucks) 10.4.9 system

maybe update to 10.4.10?

the 9a527 DVD from kalyway was a lot buggy yet so i switched back to uphuck 's

i tried today to install macnub's but i get the "still w8ing for root device" ,i think is because of my p35 mobo

i'm so close to make this card work ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have that card (but i am unsure if it is 512 or 256 and GT or GTS).

it worked in Vesa mode (1024*768 no accel).

so i switched back to my good old 6200LE (piece of {censored} that is) .it works flawlessy with nvinject (TOH RC2, vanilla kernel, pc_EFI v8, p5K deluxe).

but 3D is a lagging behind a bit sometimes. i have to say my screen is 1920*1200 which is a very high resolution for such a budget card.

i'll try to swap that 8600GTS with a friend's 7600gs (i know i loose in terms of preformances, but it will work :blink:)

Good morning (well, it's morning over here :(),

I've bought a 8600GT yesterday because it was the only passively cooled card available in the store around the corner. Stupid plan to buy it, because I'm reading on this forum that it's not supported. What do you guys say, should I visit again in a few months or is it a hopeless cause?

I have a 8600GT as well and I'm patiently awaiting driver support.

IF anyone is working on this or knows of a project doing so, can someone PLEASE post details...

I say that because there are a lot of people sayinh 'wait for driver' but there is no actual evidence of a 8600/GT/GTS driver in the works.

Thanks all and good luck.

Once again, if anyone has ANY details, please post here.

On the other hand, if there are no current plans to create drivers for the 8600, maybe I should just return it to the store and buy myself something more fancy. I know I'm not intelligent enough to write drivers myself, and I can't force anyone to do the work for me. If anyone is working on it, I'll be patient, but I have to be realistic as well. If noone has any plans to start working on creating drivers, I'll buy another card :)

That's what I've heard, haven't tried it yet because of all the negative stories. If me trying and failing has any use, I'll gladly put in a few hours of work, but I doubt it :D

Well, you're talking about Leopard, I'm talking about OSX altogether. You've got your 8600GT working in 10.4?

That's what I've heard, haven't tried it yet because of all the negative stories. If me trying and failing has any use, I'll gladly put in a few hours of work, but I doubt it :D

Well, you're talking about Leopard, I'm talking about OSX altogether. You've got your 8600GT working in 10.4?

i just built this pc, im happy with my present card. if i can't install tiger / leopard, then i won't even try. not that big of a deal, im not gonna buy another card just to have an experimental hacked operating system. :D

Ah, okidoki, I misunderstood your previous post then.

I, however, might buy a HD2600 Pro and return my 8600GT. I'll have a few extra bucks to spend on beer, and I'll play a few games with a few less details, but OSX might be jolly nice ;)

I have 8600GTS on my desktop and 8600M GT on my laptop (acer 5920). I've tried couple of times to resolve this issue with Nvidia 8600XXX - no solutions was found. I know that iBook Mac Pro have 8600M GT in configurations, so i think it's possible to hack an apple's...

Waiting for solutions for my Acer 5920