Help installing Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3

rob356

29 posts in this topic

I have gotten the iso burned onto a DVD, and I don't know which packages I should selct at installation. I am installing it on a seprate Hard Drive, and have windows on the first that came with my computer.

This is my computer

HP Pavilion a1250n (AMD Processor)

With the following added on

ATI Radeon x1300 w/ 152mb made by Visiontec

250GB Maxtor Hard Drive

Select the following packages. The names might not be exactly right, but you should get the idea.

- Anything related to AMD ONLY (not AMD + ATI).

- 10.4.4 loginwindow (it fixes an old loginwindow that crashed).

- Look under ATI Drivers and see if any of the descriptions match your card. If they don't, don't select any of them and you'll be fine.

Get back to me if you have any post-installation questions.

I did just that, installed some of the applications too. I restarted and took out the DVD, but all I got was a blinking "_" on a black screen that didn't go away. I allways get that blinking "_" when I start up windows, but it only lasts for a few seconds.

Load the one-time boot menu from your BIOS, which usually means pressing a button on your keyboard as soon as the computer starts. For example, for me I press F12 on boot-up because I have a Dell laptop. After doing that, select to boot using your hard drive, and if you have the option to choose more than one, choose the one with OSx86 on it. Make sure that you have disconnected all external drives like a pen-drive or mass storage device, as long as you aren't using them in your installation process. Leaving any RAID drives in should be fine though, as long as you select to boot from your HD.

I just tried that and it didn't work. I restarted, pressed ESC, my boot menu button, and I got a menu of all the bootable devices. I chose the Maxator, the one I installed OSX86 on. It showed the blinking "_" briefly, restarted, then showed the blinking "_" agin. Waited 10 minutes, nothing changed.

Make sure that when you installed OSx86, you chose the package called "loginwindow". It's very common for people to miss it, but it might be the solution to your problem, as it fixes boot and login issues involved with previous issues of older versions of OSX. Give it a shot and tell me how it goes.

I had somehow missed the loginwindow patch, and I installed it. I restarted, took the disk out, and I got the blinking _ for a few seconds then the computer restarted. It went through that several times before I stopped it. What should i do now?

As for 1.4a, I haven't been able to find one that is for AMD, just Intel. I also would like to avoid another 3 day wait while it downloads, if I can help it.

Well you're going to have to download v1.4a, as Gray_Matter said, v1.4i is for Intel. Using the latest version is highly recommended in any situation, especially when other people report they've had problems with it in the past. There's not many more options for you here, sorry. You could download JaS 10.4.8, as that'll only take around 12 hours or less depending on where you get it from, not that I condone using any of this. ;)

For the Kernel version,

If your AMD cpu only supports SSE2, then install AMD SSE2 only,

If it does supports SSE3, the install SSE3 only.

Then of course install the 10.4.9 AMD package

Then from the patches menu, install login window and verbose mode

Then the appropriate ATA/SATA patches for your mobo's chipset.

Dont install any video card patches/kext yet. Do it when you already reached the desktop.

IF STILL YOU CANT INSTALL OSX, THEN TRY TUBGIRL 10.4.9, It is best for AMDs'

I did what Boinkytwo said, and when I restarted I left the DVD in, and after waiting 8 seconds for it to time out I got an error message, "System Config File '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found. As for downloading Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4a i found it somewhere ;) on Demonoid, but I'm not a user, and registrations are closed. How can I fix the File not found error?ThanksP.S. My CPU supports SSE3

EDIT

Just found this post, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=59240

The partition must be a primary partition, set to boot, and in mbr mode...not guid mode. This is the most common cause of that error...mbr vs. guid. Check it out in disk utility on your install disk.
I'm gonna try that and see what happens!

My problem is with the 1.4i version

i got this same problem of the " _ " blinking at startup, i have a dell 9300

pentium M

Nvidia 6800

i had installed 1.3 uphuck without problems

just wanted to have the latest fixes and the ppc compability.

i tried dual booting with bootmagic and i just get the " _ " blinking everytime i choose the osx86 =(

anything im doing wrong? >.>

I booted to the DVD and went into the disk utility and sure enough the disk was GUID Partion table, I changed it to MBR, and re installed, yet again with minimal packages. Now the fun part, I restarted, without the DVD and with, and things flash past the screen so fast I can't see them, then the screen goes black, comes back again. The text is smaller and the things have stopped flashing and it is stuck at "Started CPU: 01" stayed like that for a hour. What now? I don't know if the MBR CD will help, but if it will get back to me and I will give you my E-Mail.

For .javi I would reccomend making sure that the Partition Table is MBR, not GUID. You will find it in the bottom right corner when you select the disk. I'm no expert yet, but that's what worked for me.

make sure the partition is active. if its not active, it wont boot.

double check your bios bootup settings

when installing osx, set your first boot device to boot from cd/dvd, 2nd is your hdd, enable boot from other device option

after successful installation, change boot priority and set your hdd as your first boot device.

I just noticed when checking if the partition is active that 100% of the drive is free space, after I have installed OSX86. That means that the installer can't write to the Hard Drive. This is an even bigger problem.I just noticed when checking if the partition is active that 100% of the drive is free space, after I have installed OSX86. I checked it in Windows, but it should be able to tell if a disk has anything on it, even if it can't understand it. This is an even bigger problem. Oh and the disk is active.

EDIT

The impossible has happened, pigs have flown, Windows was wrong ;) I went into the disk utility on the DVD, and it said that 3.0 GB was used. It also told me that the disk WAS bootable. I verifyed the disk, it was okay, and I repared some of the permissions, but I restarted and, nothing. Same stuck at "Started CPU 01". When I boot from the DVD that line shows up, but it just flies past it.

I selected the AMD 10.4.9 OSX, AMD 10.4.9 SSE3 Kernel, and the verbose and loginwindow patches, nothing else. CPUZ said my CPU was SSE2 and SSE3 compatable.

if you got a cpu with SSE2 and SS3 instruction, then only install SSE3.

you may try SSE3-1 for the first try.

in the case of my cpu, which only supports SSE2, ive tried all intel SSE2 kernels, and found out that the universal kernel-3 works best for my machine.

if you got a cpu with SSE2 and SS3 instruction, then only install SSE3.

you may try SSE3-1 for the first try.

in the case of my cpu, which only supports SSE2, ive tried all intel SSE2 kernels, and found out that the universal kernel-3 works best for my machine.

On the installer for AMD only kernels there are only 2 options, SSE2 and SSE3. I will see if the universal kernals work, and report back, there are 3 universal kernels.

On the installer for AMD only kernels there are only 2 options, SSE2 and SSE3. I will see if the universal kernals work, and report back, there are 3 universal kernels.

I GOT IT TO BOOT!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!

I selected the Universal Kernel -3, AMD 10.4.9 OSX, Verbose patch, loginwindow patch, and the Apple APCI patch. It booted up and I went through the Mac setup, and the only reason I am typing this from windows is that the ethernet card dosen't work, or my USB ports, or practially any other device. I installed the ATI driver after I went through the setup, and it wouldn't boot. When it started up, all the devices that didn't work had an error next to them during startup, "no matching family".

EDIT

I reinstalled, without the ATI Driver, and it started up. It seems to see everything on my system, but the Network card, according to system profiler. The only other problem is that the graphics card is on low resulition, because the ATI driver breaks it.