can osx86 run natively on an SiS chipset mobo?

34 posts in this topic

ok so i used an 8 gig hardrive and winhex to make my native osx86 hd, and it tries to load for a while then gives the "anti" symbol, that circle with a dash threw it. i never bothered trying to get it working since its probibally because of my chipset. what i want to know is, has anyone gotten this to run natively on any SiS or VIA chipset? and if so, did you need to take any special steps? have any drivers been made for support of my motherboard?

any responses would be greatly appreciated!

ok so i used an 8 gig hardrive and winhex to make my native osx86 hd, and it tries to load for a while then gives the "anti" symbol, that circle with a dash threw it. i never bothered trying to get it working since its probibally because of my chipset. what i want to know is, has anyone gotten this to run natively on any SiS or VIA chipset? and if so, did you need to take any special steps? have any drivers been made for support of my motherboard?

any responses would be greatly appreciated!

yup it works fine on my msi 648 max motherboard, sound doesnt work but thats about it. Try using verbose mode (-v). That will tell you where abouts its stopping. Ive had some problems with usb and legacy mode being on (it didnt like it)

ok, well i did the -v and it showed up as "still waiting for root device". any ideas?

my complete specs are

-Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSP, 1MB L1 Cache, Hyperthreading

-ASUS P4S800 SiS648FX Chipset Motherboard

-2x 512MB Corsair Value Select DDR PC-3200

-BFG Geforce 6800 GT 256mb GDDR3 370MHz core clock

-NEC 2510a DVD Burner

-Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W power supply

I'm running it on an asus laptop which also has a sis chipset, the sis 760. Works.

Do you have an sis900 ethernet and sis sound onboard and do they work for you?

I have a gericom laptop with sis chipset. It works good except i don't have ethernet and sound.

Sound isn't a problem, but i really miss ethernet (internet).

larna

I have a gericom laptop with sis chipset. It works good except i don't have ethernet and sound.

larna

They wont work

I got a new NIC card that was compatible

Gigabit Ethernet Compusa Brand

larna

My asus has a realtek rtl8139 for nic so that works straight out of the box. What doesn't work is:

my sound, realtek ac97 audio. As soon as i start fooling around with appleac97 and reboot my network connection is also suddenly lost. The only solution then is a restore of an image i made earlier. Happened already twice this week.

sis m760gx, i need it to work with 1280x800 but it only supports 1280x786 so my display uses interpolation which really screws it up. Pearpc support resolutions like this without a problem, maybe the displaydriver from pearpc can somehow be ported to native?

platform=x86pc didnt do anything, im starting to lose hope.. any other settings in the bios that could possibly help? i also tried -x but same {censored}. and im suprised at how many helpful people are on this board, this is a really cool place :(

another thing, i get teh same exact error when running it off my bros computer, which has completely different specs. it has a ecs k7s5a motherboard (might not be spelled right) and an amd 2200 proc, but it wont boot up. maybe its the hardrive itself then?

another thing, i get teh same exact error when running it off my bros computer, which has completely different specs. it has a ecs k7s5a motherboard (might not be spelled right) and an amd 2200 proc, but it wont boot up. maybe its the hardrive itself then?

EDIT: had to read more carefuly

i got the "anti" symbol once when i applied the patch in the wrong way. don't remember what exactly it was. anway, i had to "reinstall" osx, but that was not a problem since i made an image of partition b4 applying the patch.

larna

o(_ doesnt wor on this fucing eyboard) umm, i cant copy over the new ioatafamily.ext file because it maes it want to authenticate and i cant figure out what login and password to put in. this fucing sucs, does anyone now of a way to copy over this file in a mac os x machine without authenticating this {censored}???

o(_ doesnt wor on this fucing eyboard) umm, i cant copy over the new ioatafamily.ext file because it maes it want to authenticate and i cant figure out what login and password to put in. this fucing sucs, does anyone now of a way to copy over this file in a mac os x machine without authenticating this {censored}???

it depends how you installed, if it was deadmoo's then it would be deadmoo and bolivia? something like that...

i have had the cant find boot error before, and after resetting my cmos it seemed to go away and finally boot up?

Don't give up. I had the same problem, spent a long night trying to figure out what was wrong and the cause was that I wrote "Grsphics" instead "Graphics" when typing one of the installation commands. It might not be your problem of course, but you may need to check your installation routine one more time.

Good luck.

ok, well i was finally able to copy over a file by just logging in as the "root" on the computer i was on.

i used this file, maybe the guy just put up the file that comes with osx86, and not the one from the darwin cd?

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=132

i also tried the following commands, each one giving the same error:

rd=disk0s1, -v, -s, -f

and i get two errors before getting that root error, the two errors are:

inb_ifattach_linklocali failed to configure a link-local address on lo0 (errnon = 55)

inb_ifattachi lo0 failed to attach a linklocal address

ok i give up.. if anyone has ideas for tweaking the bios settings, id like to give that a try, but other than that nothing seems to work. does anyone here think people will write drivrers and such and start a project to make this a fully functional os wtih good compatibility? i could easily see a large demand for it, and their are plenty of people that would work on it

• 4 months later...

the new 10.4 leak has sparked interest in this project again. maybe the 10.4 generic install dvd from some torrent site will work? and any patches you guys recommend using before burning the disk image? is their a better leak out their i should try instead?

• 1 month later...

I just installed on an old (4years) shuttle spacewalker XPC with P4 and SIS chipset. Everything works (LAN YES!!) justn no sound :lol: Also as was expected the HD speeds suck. I'm 2 for 2 with the Jas patched

10.4.3. The lack of sound and slow drive speeds just make this whole thing an experiment for me. But it still is fun. Hey about that waiting for root device, make sure your HD is on the second ide connector behind your dvd drive and make sure they're plugged into IDE 1.