Mac sure is slow....

TheCoolNerds

15 posts in this topic

I mean, i thought it was only that MAC BOOK at the college that was slow, but seeing as how i have a 1gig of ram and DUAL CORE 3.0GHZ Pentium D processor. It is still slow!!!! Not slow slow, but its wierdness irritates me.... anyone feel the same?

Slow doing what?

If you notice slowness in "normal" finder activities or average joe stuff: web browsing, email, word processor, etc, with that hardware, I would say something not right on your system. (Is your video card QE and CI supported?)

let me see, DISNEYCHANNEL.com (my little sister) started on SAFARI, it started to stutter on load up... it got so bad that i just restarted the computer and booted into XP... IE7 didnt even hesitate to load it up... and dont get me started on the whole firewall thing, because its disabled on both OS'

here are the specs for the computer...

INTEL PENTIUM D 930 Dual Core @ 3.0GHz

1 GIG DUAL CHANNEL PC3200 @ 400MHz

SATA-150 HDD 80Gigs (Windows XP and MAC OS X)

PATA-100 HDD 200Gigs (Storage)

NVIDIA GeFORCE 7800GS 256MB AGP 8x

even to erase something that i typed here in the dialog box is slow....

now i know why everyone frowned when i told them i had installed MAC OS X on my PC.

Now if there was only a way to put MAC OS X to good use...

because at the moment, my laptop can blow MAC OS X out of the water....

my laptop specs:

VISTA ULTIMATE

512MB PC4200

Intel Centrino Processor @ 1.73GHz

ATi x700 64MB

What version of OS X are you using? If you are using 10.4.1, which it sounds like you are, you really need to upgrade.

i am running 10.4.9 Intel Version, SSE3-1 Kernel, Titan Driver for the 3D card...

there are various things that i do and it hesitates... its like if it doesnt have enough ram, even though it detects it all!

Hi,

I just went to disneychannel.com.

I'm running Mail, Safari with 4 tabs on different pages (includding disneychannel), iCal, aMSN, VLC with a live tv feed from my Satellite Receiver over WiFi WPA2 and 17 Widgets on my dashboard.

My Mac (a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP) is running as smooth as silk. By the way, it's 11.06 PM here where I live and I have not restarted my MBP since 7.50 AM. It has been running opening and closing several different applications including the buggy MS Powerpoint and Word that need Rosetta.

So I would say there's something wrong with your setup...

Arubinst

possibly, something wrong, but its acting just like that MAC BOOK was when i took a test on it... SLOW!!!!! like it pisses you off slow... it hesitates, i mean i literally wanted to pick it up and smash it...

like i said, my laptop running VISTA ULTIMATE getting a 2.2 on the PERFORMANCE scale is all over the MAC OS X setup...

and i am running AUDITION 2.0, ILLUSTRATOR CS2, PHOTOSHOP CS2 on my laptop.... and DREAMWEAVER MX 2004....

i mean, i thought it was just my setup, but the other day when i was at FRY's i was trying out the MAC's and they seemed hesitant also.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :yoji:

There must be something wrong with your computer beacuse mine runs os x better then xp or vista ultimate!

and i only have a amd athlon xp-m 2800+

1.25 gigs of ram and onboard video (i have a AGP graphics card but osx wont get past the boot screen with it :S)

Well it indeed sounds like your system has an issue because what you are describing is not normal.

You've told us several times how much better Vista is and usually when people make judgments about OS X based on an using a hacked and often flawed setup of Tiger on PC hardware I usually think that is short sighted and they've already made their mind up. In your case you said that you have tried demos at Frys and there are slow too, so maybe Vista is a better up for you then.

If you still want to try to work through this, can you test that same site in Firefox on OS X and see if the problems exists also?

Is it just web surfing or other things slow? (Please be specific as possible.)

Have you run any of the benchmark tools like xbench just to get a some what base line idea?

Sounds like it could also be an issue with a HD not running at maximum performance.

Another test is also to create another user and log in as that user and see if the problem still exists. Sometimes you can get a corrupt preferences file or left over remnants from a Safari plugin that can be problematic.

Edit: Stuttered on my lowly G4 1GHz, expected, fine on my A64 3200+

here are the results from XBENCH

Results 83.89

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.9 (8P2137)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type Maxtor 6B080M0

CPU Test 67.40

GCD Loop 91.05 4.80 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 77.45 1.84 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 48.51 1.60 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 67.39 11.73 Mops/sec

Thread Test 166.90

Computation 149.88 3.04 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 188.28 8.10 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 108.54

System 94.01

Allocate 61.34 225.28 Kalloc/sec

Fill 126.87 6168.94 MB/sec

Copy 129.40 2672.64 MB/sec

Stream 128.39

Copy 121.89 2517.49 MB/sec

Scale 123.15 2544.32 MB/sec

Add 135.01 2875.97 MB/sec

Triad 134.71 2881.69 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 65.18

Line 71.41 4.75 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 56.34 16.82 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 53.77 4.38 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 74.54 1.88 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 77.22 4.83 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 92.88

Spinning Squares 92.88 117.83 frames/sec

User Interface Test 82.96

Elements 82.96 380.74 refresh/sec

Disk Test 65.63

Sequential 78.02

Uncached Write 67.04 41.16 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 69.45 39.30 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 123.64 36.18 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 72.13 36.25 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 56.63

Uncached Write 28.86 3.05 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 76.32 24.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 84.73 0.60 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 90.34 16.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I mean, i thought it was only that MAC BOOK at the college that was slow, but seeing as how i have a 1gig of ram and DUAL CORE 3.0GHZ Pentium D processor. It is still slow!!!! Not slow slow, but its wierdness irritates me.... anyone feel the same?

A Macbook with less than 1 GB of RAM isn't really going to feel very fast. I bought mine with 1 GB and it ran well. I upgraded it to 2 GB and it runs even better.

Your desktop *should* run OS X well *if* the hardware is completely compatible. For each component that is only sorta compatible that ends up mostly working anyway you take a hit in overall usability.

Your desktop uses AGP graphics, which isn't ideal in OS X. Apple never shipped an intel based AGP system (as far as I know) so their development efforts haven't been turned in that direction for a long time. That could be causing more than a few of your system hiccups.

I was running OS X on an AMD system with an AGP 7800 GS like yours and it was pretty bad. It was good enough to convince me to switch to an intel setup next time I upgraded so I went with 100% OS X compatible gear when I put my current system together and now OS X runs smooth as silk.

Talk the school into giving that Macbook more RAM. OS X walks with 512MB and runs with 1 GB or more.