How much Memory

9 posts in this topic

as much as you can afford....

but over 2gb is showing off...

I disagree. I'd go as far as to say that 2GB should really be the minimum. 1GB isn't really enough, and since you get an improvement in memory performance by interleaving two same-sized DIMMs, it wold make more sense to get 2x1GB instead of using say a 1GB and 512. Anyway, 2GB should be fine for most things, but if you use the system heavily, you can easily use more than that. Right now I'm not really doing too much (but I do have quite a few things open), and I'm utilizing 1.9GB of my 3GB (500 wired, 1.4GB active, 600 inactive, 500 free).

I hear that some OSx86 computers cannot recognize more than 3.5-4 gb, so I would say 4 at the most.

Yeah. I forgot about that. The 945 chipsets only see 3.25GB for some reason. 965s can see more though. I'm not sure about the OP's board, or if he's planning on using the one in his sig or not.

I have 3GB in my hackintosh desktop, but I'd say it sure runs smoothly as a result, especially when using CS3 Design Premium. On the flip side, my cheap Acer notebook hackintosh currently only has 512mb. The level of performance exceeded my expectations. I think the last time Windows ran as well on 512mb of RAM was arguably XP SP1, if not earlier.

• 6 months later...

400 Gig!

No seriously, what are you doing on your mac?

If just email, surfing, watching some telly, yada yada a gig will do.

We have 1gb on a Core 2 machine to do all that, seems fine....

Photoshop, logic, final cut etc' you could do with a bit more or they drag.

Yes matching memory so it runs dual channel, ie:- 2x512, 2x1gb or 2x2gb.