Leopard / Coverflow Finder

blackmac

20 posts in this topic

We all know that iTunes "Cover Flow" view in iTunes consumes RAM like (insert your most gluttonous euphemism here)...

Considering "Cover Flow" has been integrated into finder - has there been MAJOR optimizations made to its memory management? The only way to free RAM with "Cover Flow" in iTunes is to completely close (quit) iTunes....

I'd hate to think that i'd had to "dump" finder in order to recover RAM after using "Cover Flow" to locate a file (lets say in a folder full of PSD's)...

Does "Cover Flow" view use the Core Animation - and not eat up upwards of 3-600+MB of RAM

Yes, finder uses CoreAnimation-which is why its cover flow is 100000x snappier than iTunes, even under 9A466.

And it reloads everything, every time.

For example, I have a long list of files with movie posters for icons:

I let the beginning load. I go to the end, and let it load. I go back to the beginning, and it reloads everything. Not so cool, actually.

I just xbenched my leopard partition and tiger partition, I see twice as much improvement in System Memory Test and Stream Memory Test. Most likely due to 64 bits architecture. Maybe everyone should post their leopard vs tiger xbench score so that we can compare the improvements on the OS.

i hope they use Core Animation for iTunes Coverflow when Leopard comes out. Right now, Coverflow is way too sluggish considering I have high resolution album arts for every single album in my iTunes library.

I have high res art for upwards of 80% of my library... I agree that iTunes Coverflow can get a little sluggish when using multiple apps...(actually, primary reason i added another gig of RAM) Unfortunately I dont have a copy of 9A4666 to play with - but I'm glad to hear Coverflow finder may actually be useful...

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the "load / reload" behavior thats been described - hmm, i guess I'll just have to wait till October to make my judements...

Appreciate the info peeps.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to set Cover Flow not to resize it when I resize my window.

I mean that if you open a folder with cover flow view, then if you want to make this window bigger to see more item, it's cover flow which will become bigger. So do you have any solution?

Thanks

sorry for my english

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to set Cover Flow not to resize it when I resize my window.

I mean that if you open a folder with cover flow view, then if you want to make this window bigger to see more item, it's cover flow which will become bigger. So do you have any solution?

Thanks

sorry for my english

The size of the preview image is proportional to the size of the frame that contains it. If you want to see more items but you want the window size to remain the same (or you want to resize the window but want the frame to keep it's height size), then drag the middle bar (the one dividing the image preview from the list view) up or down, to scale the top frame. The smaller the frame, the more items you will see to the left or right.

Cheers,

hecker

I agree, I'd like to see that fixed. When you resize the window, it should do the opposite to what it does now. They assume you would prefer to see a bigger icon vs. more files in the list. A pref for that would be perfect.

I agree, I'd like to see that fixed. When you resize the window, it should do the opposite to what it does now. They assume you would prefer to see a bigger icon vs. more files in the list. A pref for that would be perfect.

I agree that there should be some kind of settings option for that but the coverflow view's main element is the icon after all. I bet someone will come up with a trick to fix that soon.

I agree that there should be some kind of settings option for that but the coverflow view's main element is the icon after all. I bet someone will come up with a trick to fix that soon.

I hope this someone can hear you... :D

• 2 weeks later...