Time Machine Setups

MrG299

7 posts in this topic

So I finally have Time Machine setup with my external drive and it is awesome. My one problem is I have a macbook and it get's pretty buggy if i dissconnect the drive and reconnect it all the time. A lot of times the drive won't unmount. What I would like to do is connect the external drive to my PC in my basement and have time machine access it remotely. This way I wouldn't be teathered to my external drive all of the time. Does anyone know how this could be accomplished or if it is even possible?

I know you can connect a drive to an AirPort Extreme Base Station and have Time Machine access it. It may also be possible to use a drive shared remotely from another computer, but it'd either have to be another Mac or have MacDrive installed on it. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to recognize and share the HFS+ volume.

Theoretically, it should be possible to have multiple computers backing up to the same drive I believe, based on the folder structure in the Time Machine db. That'd be useful for backing up multiple network devices. However, I haven't confirmed this. Anyone else been able to do it?

Theoretically, it should be possible to have multiple computers backing up to the same drive I believe, based on the folder structure in the Time Machine db. That'd be useful for backing up multiple network devices. However, I haven't confirmed this. Anyone else been able to do it?

Well it should be. Didn't Steve even mention this in WWDC keynote. At least with Airport Extreme attached drive should work excactly like that.