No need to burn 9A466 at all

Jeff Chen

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just D/Led a 9A466 DMG and wondered how I could enjoy it.

Later on my Macbook, I used the diskutil to restore the DMG to a USB HDD (A 3.5" HDD hooked up to my Macbook via SATA-USB converter, cheap and handy device).

After done, I restarted the mac and held the Option key. It brought up the bootable device list and my USB HDD was listed there. Then, the setup program worked fine. I erased my 10G WinXP volumn on my mac to fit Leopard (unchecked Printer drivers and X11 etc).

When setup was done, I restarted my mac and held Option, to choose the partition with the newly installed Leopard - and it worked. Everything worked fine.

Later I had some fun moving the installed Leopard to my USB HDD and it still worked. I erased the whole HDD into one huge HFS partition, restored the 10G volume of Leopard to the USB HDD, and tried booting from it - it still worked, and amazingly it worked very smoothly as a local drive. :)

To delete the 10G Leopard volumn, I had to first erase it to MS-DOS format, and then used Boot Camp to resize my Tiger volume to the max size - if you don't erase to DOS first, Boot Camp will refuse to work.

So guys, if you have 1 spare HDD, maybe it's just a lot easier to make it work - and you can even carry it to your friends' home to show it off :rolleyes:

InsanelyMac is hosted in the US, and its our ass unfortunately.

Imaging an install disc to an external drive is nothing new. I first installed Tiger on my PowerBook 12'' by restoring the image onto my 1st gen iPod :thumbsdown_anim:

InsanelyMac is hosted in the US, and its our ass unfortunately.

Imaging an install disc to an external drive is nothing new. I first installed Tiger on my PowerBook 12'' by restoring the image onto my 1st gen iPod ;)

well, I saw like 10 ppl asking the same question "how can I burn it" I was like... why burn it... everyone should have known the external drive thingy... ;)

I cant get this method to work with my B&W G3 rev 1 (using an internal drive, on on channel 1 or channel 2, set as master, with OSinstall.mpkg patched) Any ideas? Verbose mode shows lots of references to USB.