Trouble installing to an ECS 945GZT-M

Neilis

40 posts in this topic

nano2nd, If you really want to overclock with this board you need to do the BSEL mod so your board will think the CPU inserted has a 266 ( or 333 if the board supports it) FSB and will adjust the other busses accordingly. the bus where your audio chip is in might be overclocked too high so the stuttering.

Phanguy, Altho I have a different board, (Gigabyte P965), I have the same dmg-wont-mount issue with the 8.10.1 kernel. had to revert to 8.9.1

I was eyeing this board for my second hackintosh build, I hope Fry's brings it back with the E4500.

Royco, thanks the BSEL mod looks pretty cool. The problem is the ECS board won't go beyond 240 - it just won't boot if I select a higher value.

The sound only stutters after wake if I have it overclocked. If I cold boot overclocked, the sound is fine.

greetings....I have a problem on my ECS 945GZT.. I installed windows xp sp2 and after all the driver already installed, the audio didnt working. The message on the Sound And Audio Devices Properties says that "No Audio Device".

Hope that anyone here can help me to share the solution..

many thanks! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just something worth noting for the record - I recently re-housed my Hackintosh in a Gigabyte Aurora case (much cooler, much quieter but much less Powermac!). When I installed, I connected the front/side panel USB ports to the header on the motherboard.

Only later did I notice that sound no longer worked. "No Entry" sign on the screen when changing volume. I didn't immediately think about the front panel connecter (I had also just updated iLife and thought one of the Apple Support updates had messed with my Azalia audio).

After spending an hour or so checking kexts and device IDs I then remembered the motherboard header connecter to the front panel. Disconnected it and presto!

So a lesson learned for the ECS 945GZT-M - stay away from the USB/front panel header! At least if you have the same audio setup as me.

The sound only stutters after wake if I have it overclocked. If I cold boot overclocked, the sound is fine.

My latest plan is to add a USB soundstick, do away with Azalia (I'll just have System Update apply the audio for Intel Macs fix), and see how it goes.

Because the soundstick is attached via USB I'm hoping it won't be affected by changing bus speeds etc. Well, for £5 it is worth a shot - especially if it means I can get sleep/wake with consistently working audio when overclocked.

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys. Fry's just had the ECS 945GCT-M / E4500 combo for $118, so I picked one up. Apparently, it's a newer version of the 945GZT.

From your experience, how far can you overclock this board and what did you have to do to get there? Also, what type/brand of RAM would you guys suggest with this board? This is going to be my first Hackintosh experience, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

JBD

• 2 weeks later...

Nevermind my previous question - I kept the processor, but ended up returning the ECS board for a Gigabyte. I'll be installing tiger today, so I'll see how it goes.

The ECS seems like a cool board for the money, though! I wonder how well it works with leopard? Maybe for a future build...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi phanguy. Tell me, how did you solve the sleep problem with Leopard? I have your same configuration but using the motherboard's video card. I've installed iATKOS (using vanilla kernel and EFI v8,0) and everything works great except input audio and sleep. When I select Sleep in Main Menu it seems to work, but the fans keep working and it doesn't wake at all. Tried to ping it to see if it awakes with no result.

I don't care too much for input audio right now, but not having sleep capabilities... well, that's another story.

I tried with TOH's Leopard (vanilla or patched kernel, with or without EFI) and it was the same. Tried also Uphuck's Tiger 10.9 (patched kernal, no EFI) and sleep worked but on awake the DVD drive didn't work.

Any help to solve the sleep problem will be greatly appreciated. Thans in advance and happy new year everybody!

Cisco