Trouble installing to an ECS 945GZT-M

Neilis

40 posts in this topic

Well, actually, the *install* went fine (using JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/3 for Intel & AMD). Saw my SATA drive. Partitioned it, installed, rebooted. On reboot I get a kernel panic stating:

Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Hardware compatibility list says this motherboard works fine. I've tried disabling ACPI in the bios but can't find a setting to do that.

Downloading uphuck now (slowly though - will be a week or so before that finishes), but if I could get this one working I'd be that much further ahead :thumbsup_anim:.

Any help is appreciated.

Fixed. Had to go through the intall again, and do a custom install. I deselected the languages, the printer drivers, and then selected the Intel KEXT.

Network and the onboard video worked out of the box at this point. My seperate graphics card (MSI Gefroce 7300LE) didn't work with the NATIT included with the disc (black screen), or Titan (hung with just a cursor), but I got a NATIT Dual v0.20 installer and my card is working fine. Just need to get the audio straightened out now :D.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had my GMA950 onboard graphics on the 945GZT-M running at 1280x1024 on a 17in LCD via the VGA port.

I've since moved to a separate Geforce 7300GT so that I can drive my 23in Apple Cinema Display via DVI. See the link below for more info on my build:

945GZT-M OSX86 in Mac Case

The 945GZT-M is a nice cheap board with good compatibility with OS X. I wish I'd gone for something a little better though as the overclocking capabilities are pretty poor. I've taken a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo up to 2.16GHz but other boards have got the same CPU up to over 3.0GHz.

Has anyone else out there used this board?

I've got the onboard sound working using the Azalia kext but have a problem where, on wake from sleep (yes it sleeps and wakes fine), the audio playback has a stutter. This is resolved by a reboot. Not ideal. I'm guessing it is something to do with how the sound/power management works.

Any ideas?

So you can sleep/wake without any sound related problems on wake? Interesting..

What version are you running? I'm on 10.4.10 - built on top of the JaS 10.4.8 install and updated to 10.4.9 manually and to 10.4.10 using the pascalW updater. My kernel is 8.10.1.

I didn't consider that the o/c could have anything to do with it but it's a simple change to make to test the principle.

actually i was lying. not on purpose of course! =P i didn't have any sound problems but my computer just wouldn't wake up. i'm running 10.4.9 and i just updated my kernel. i found the kernel in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42865

it was in the last few pages. make sure your cpu supports speedstep, which it probably does.

well from a normal point of view i'd just leave it unclocked. but from a "hacker" point of view, i'd leave it overclocked and see if there's a way to make it functional! you could help a lot of people i'm sure if you got it working. i'd start with the hacked kernel.

Hey guys, I did up that kernel you linked too, and I'm looking to get a new system together.

This board seems really good for osx.

Can you confirm 2 things for me: does line in work and does sleep/wake work with only my kernel or all kernels?

Thanks in advance,

Paulicat

paulicat,

I'll test line in tonight - I'm posting on works time right now and don't have access to my Mac. I'm not sure it will based on reports I've read about the Azalia audio kext but I'll give it a try.

The kernel I'm using (8.10.1) says something like "Sochi 2014 Vote For Us" when I use "uname -a" This is the first time I've got sleep/wake working consistently. Overall I'm very happy with the setup now and have (almost) retired my Dual G4 so if this is your kernel - thanks dude!

The ECS board is pretty good for the money if you don't mind the limited o'c options. I had to add Firewire via a PCI card and I'm running 2 SATA drives from the onboard controler.

Do you know why overclocking has the effect on sound output after wake?

Thanks for replying.

For line in, yes, it won't work with azalia, but seeing as how that board uses the alc883, I was thinking that you should be able to use skippyretards 883 package from the link that phanguy pasted: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520

As for the kernel, no I didn't do the 10.4.10 kernel, I did the 10.4.9 kernel with speedstep that phanguy linked to.

I'll do a 10.4.10 kernel once Apple decides to release the sources for 10.4.10.

Phanguy, if you're still reading this thread, please pass any info you might have!

Thanks in advance guys!

Paulicat

i haven't actually tested the line in. i don't think i can either. crappy mic sitting around. dunno if it even works! =P i've FINALLY updated my system to 10.4.10! took me forever and a day. i also managed to get a 8.9.1 kernel working. also it turns out i don't have speedstep. alas... in any case, as long as i don't let my hard drives turn off then my computer can sleep just fine, but i guess that doesn't really count then huh? =P looks like nano2nd might be on to something with his kernel. but none of the kernels i've used so far have sleep working fully working, well as long as the hard drives don't stop... but yeah. i'm gonna have to find that 8.10.1 kernel! where did you get it nano2nd?

update! i updated to the kernel 8.10.1 using a koolkal installer for 10.4.10. it turns out to be the same kernel that nano2nd is using. but i still can't get my computer to wake up properly if i check off the settings to let the hard drives sleep when available. this was the same for the 8.9.1 kernel. so as long as you don't check that, then it'll load just fine. i'm pretty sure it was the same with 8.8.1 but i don't remember exactly. good luck!

update 2! {censored}. looks like i can't even mount dmgs or flash drives with this kernel. i'm going back to 8.9.1. everything was working no problem with that one.

Are you using Skippyretards ALC883 kext or Azalia?

As for the dmg's not mounting with 10.4.10, diskutil repairPermissions / in terminal should fix that.

using azalia. dmgs weren't mounting when i was using the 8.10.1 kernel. even my ipod wouldn't mount. it's a great board, i hope you really do decide to get it!

I had my GMA950 onboard graphics on the 945GZT-M running at 1280x1024 on a 17in LCD via the VGA port.

I've since moved to a separate Geforce 7300GT so that I can drive my 23in Apple Cinema Display via DVI. See the link below for more info on my build:

945GZT-M OSX86 in Mac Case

The 945GZT-M is a nice cheap board with good compatibility with OS X. I wish I'd gone for something a little better though as the overclocking capabilities are pretty poor. I've taken a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo up to 2.16GHz but other boards have got the same CPU up to over 3.0GHz.

I also have this board (in the cheap Fry's computer) which I've upgraded to a E4500, also. I was wondering how you got it to overclock. When I change the FSB in the bios, the clock speed doesn't actually change. Is there a secret to getting the setting to actually take effect?

make sure that your cpu supports overclocking. otherwise just make sure that you put in a good number. i was able to set my fsb to 300 but not 400. not that it'd boot, but it wouldn't revert back to 200 when i'd set it to 200.

your lan should be working. mine worked no problem. make sure the line itself is able to connect cause maybe it's your line and not your board. if it still doesn't work then just see if you can find a jas copy and install the lan package from that. or you might be able to find a lan package on the boards somewhere.

Hi Paulicat,

I tried skippyretard's ALC883 package and it stopped my audio working completely. I still had use of the volume control - unlike when Apple Updater replaces AppleHDA.kext and it gets a "no entry" sign over it. So I can move the volume up and down but no audio is outputted.

I reverted back to Azalia in the end.