Quick Look

robhim

10 posts in this topic

I found that if you use quicklook to look at stuff, it won't work with avi's obviously because quicktime can't play them and what not.

but then i installed perian and i noticed that in the coverflow, very slowly, the previews of movies show up, which is good, but then if you quick look u get a white screen and no audio which isn't good.

then i looked in /Library/ and saw that /Library/Quicktime/ had perian in it and right next to it was /Library/Quick Look/ and I thought to try and copy the perian.component to the Quick Look folder and lo and behold I got avi's to play in quick look :thumbsdown_anim: it's not super speedy or anythign like native quick look stuff but it's very nice addition b/c i have a lot of avi's

good find; maybe write this into the 10.5 Bugs/Fixes thread?

The bug would be .avi's not appearing in Quick Look even with Perian/etc.. installed as QT components; and the fix would be to copy those same components to the Quick Look folder as well

Do people still believe "Quicktime doesn't work with AVIs"?

AVI is merely a container, and Quicktime DOES support it. What Quicktime doesn't support is DivX/XVid/VMW or whatever codec they use.

But if you go ahead and install Perian, or the DivX Play Bundle, or Flip4Mac's WMV this is the result.

picture2ll1.png

I just happened to test some codecs, components and video stuff with QuickTime and came to the following conclusion:

Leopard's QuickTime is damn slow when it comes to certain codecs. WMV (via the Flip4Mac component) works perfectly, all WMV videos open in an instant in QuickTime and Quick Look. But with DivX and Xvid -- whether you use Perian or the official components -- it takes a few minutes for the video to open. Quick Look doesn't open them up at all, it just keeps loading and loading and loading and after about ten minutes I cancelled.

This is extremely annoying, especially because one of the major things I use my Mac for is watching videos. :/

I just happened to test some codecs, components and video stuff with QuickTime and came to the following conclusion:

Leopard's QuickTime is damn slow when it comes to certain codecs. WMV (via the Flip4Mac component) works perfectly, all WMV videos open in an instant in QuickTime and Quick Look. But with DivX and Xvid -- whether you use Perian or the official components -- it takes a few minutes for the video to open. Quick Look doesn't open them up at all, it just keeps loading and loading and loading and after about ten minutes I cancelled.

This is extremely annoying, especially because one of the major things I use my Mac for is watching videos. :/

More reason to use a superior player like VLC for esoteric codecs ... let quicktime do what it does best, and then there are the others ..

I didn't notice the slowiness... and no problems previewing them in QV.

Also ironically, AVIs happen to play a lot better in this build compare to some H.264 MPEG4s who slow down Quicktime to a crash.

Not happening to me at all.