Resolution Independence

Jeffroo

14 posts in this topic

Yeah, try zooming in. There wouldn't be an actual preference for it, it's something that is part of the basic UI. I would imagine all the base GUI elements have been converted to vector and all the Apple programs probably have been re-done.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about resolution dependence getting you more screen real estate. It's more designed for making things on BIG screens look BIGGER. The idea is that interface items don't turn into pinpricks on displays with increasingly high resolutions. It's possible that it will allow us to cram more onto our screens by shrinking the interface, but that's not really the main point of it.

Well in tiger you can enable a very buggy User Interface Resolution by going to Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Quartz Debug.app

and click on the menu "Tools" and then finally "User Interface Resolution." Maybe you can do the same in leopard?

Install XCode and in "/Developer/Applications/Graphics Tools/" launch QuartzDebug in the menu select Tools then Show user interface resolution and modify the scaling factor.

It's still buggy but a great step forward from the 9a410.

(excuse my bad english :) )

Zooming != Res Ind.

Zooming is in Tiger.

I realise. I hard heard from a friend that res-independence came into its own when a person zoomed in in the current builds of Leopard and not elsewhere (yet), obviously he was wrong.

Install XCode and in "/Developer/Applications/Graphics Tools/" launch QuartzDebug in the menu select Tools then Show user interface resolution and modify the scaling factor.

Yep, that is the way to enable it, or you could do it without developer tools with terminal command:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.5

to set it to 50% of the normal size, or

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 2

to set it to be twice as big as normal size, or

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1

to revert it back to original. You get the idea - you can change the last number to increase it for any amount. Anyway, I am a bit dissapointed with it, I expected it to be much more refined by now, included in zoom function etc. They hadn't even changed the Apple logo in the top left of the menubar to vector :D (it is still blurred when you change the scaling factor). I hope it all gets done until the final release, I was loking forward a lot to this function...