Making Third Partition With Boot Camp

teehee

18 posts in this topic

sorry. well how would i go about making a third partition to install leopard on (i posted this in the leopard thread because i think some other people might be in my situation as well)

EDIT:: nondestructive if possible

No. iPartition partitions destructively. You can try this command, which is what Boot Camp executes. Beware that you have to have only 1 partition before you do this:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 50G "MS-DOS FAT32" Windows 50G "HFS+" Leopard 50G

This is just an example with windows as your second partition and leopard as your third. You can experiment with the resizeVolume command as it is a little tricky and you have to get the sizes exactly right or it will freak out halfway through. Also make sure you've checked and repaired your disk with disk utility beforehand, as errors will mess up the process. The above command resizes your original macintosh Hd partition to 50 gigs, makes a new windows partition which is 50 gigs and a 50 gig leopard partition.

No. iPartition partitions destructively. You can try this command, which is what Boot Camp executes. Beware that you have to have only 1 partition before you do this:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 50G "MS-DOS FAT32" Windows 50G "HFS+" Leopard 50G

This is just an example with windows as your second partition and leopard as your third. You can experiment with the resizeVolume command as it is a little tricky and you have to get the sizes exactly right or it will freak out halfway through. Also make sure you've checked and repaired your disk with disk utility beforehand, as errors will mess up the process. The above command resizes your original macintosh Hd partition to 50 gigs, makes a new windows partition which is 50 gigs and a 50 gig leopard partition.

Cool, I wish Apple wrapped this in Disk utility instead of that destructive partitioning system.

OK, can you write the command to partition my 300 GB FAT32 ext. drive to 200 GB FAT32 (untouched) and 100 GB HFS+ Leo? Thanks soo much! :hysterical:

Can anyone confirm/deny that the disk utility on the Leopard installation disk (WWDC 07 BETA) can partition non-destructively? I'd like to restore my disk to one Tiger volume.

I think it's safe to assume it can since it was able to in Tiger.

Plus there was a strange "Resize" button in DU in build 9A410, not sure about 9A466 though.

wonder if this would work... use bootcamp to install a copy of say vista or XP..., make the MS Windows partition larger (to accomodate 2 partitions later)...

Once that's done, use some software within MS windows like acronis, or partition magic, to partition the disk... I know that acronis can do this non-destructively...

Last step is to go back to OSX, and use disk util to make it HFS... then install leopard on it... Do u think it'd work??? Just an idea :)

Do you have the Leopard installation disc? One of the new Disk Utility features is non destructive partitioning. Just do it though that.

Do you have the Leopard installation disc? One of the new Disk Utility features is non destructive partitioning. Just do it though that.

Really? Does it work on the boot volume (the one you are running OSX+Disk Utility from) too?

First of all we need to know what the ID of your external drive is. Start up terminal, and type

diskutil list

tell me what the id of your external hard drive is (300 GB)

should be something like diskXsX

Well, I'm not completely retarted with Unix. /dev/disk1s2

Thanks!