Odds of when MBP HD will be user upgradable?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone think Apple will ever make a revision to make the MBP hard drive easily upgradable like the Macbook?? I dont see why they hav'nt already??? That would be the one thing (besides tightening their quality control) that would make the MBP almost worth what we paid for them. I'd really love to be able to slap in a bigger drive on this MBP like I already can on my ZD8000.

Why do you think they didnt make it upgradable in the first place??? I mean, how much thicker is the Macbook than the MBP??? Is that the reason, or is it the aluminum chasis possible loosing structural rigidity or something like that???

I really think Apple should make the hard drives on the Macbook Pro accessible like on the regular Macbooks. To anybody out there that is thinking of upgrading the HD in their MBP. I had to replace the HD on my powerbook once. I found the service manual and thought I could do it myself. BIG MISTAKE. It seems simple enough but that little latch behind the DVD slot was next to impossible to find. So I stopped messing with it. Then, despite my better judgement my wife persuaded me to let my father in law try to do it. Now my father-in-law can take apart a PC laptop (especially Dells) in a matter of seconds so he's no slouch, but he met his match with my powerbook . He got it open but chewed up the DVD slot and broke the lining in a couple of places in the process (he's old and not as patient as he used to be). In the end The damage was only cosmetic, but the DVD was somehow nudged off center making it impossible to put in a DVD without scraping it. My powerbook which goes for about $700-$800 on ebay these days was appraised for about half of that a couple of weeks ago. So I basically screwed up my machine and paid handsomely for the privilege

Anyways, from what I've read the process is pretty much the same for getting under the hood of a MBP. It's a pain in the ass to do it and unless you have done it before, you will probably wind up damaging your machine and losing more money in resale value at the end of the day.

Not covered under warrantee if nothing is wrong with the existing hard drive. And I did not and will not purchase Applecare, as I see it as just a way for Apple (and other manufacturers warrantee) to milk the consuner for more money. I have always built my own machines untill I bought these last 3 in the past year (HP ZD8000, MBP, MacPro). I am also a DCSE, and have worked on quite a few Lattitudes, so I suppose I can tear into it when I get the real NEED to upgrade the internal HD, I just hate working on laptops.

The question was just mostly aimed at why did apple desighn the MBP like this in the first place?? I mean, even in all the dissasembly guides floating on the 'net, the HD pretty much appears to be setting right on the bottom of the case, so why didnt they just make a removable door that it could have been mounted to, and changed out??? Hmmph, guess I'm really not the type of customer Apple really desires (Do it your selfer/sytem builder/etc..). It seems they tend to want the ones that dont really know or want to know about HOW something works....just that it WORKS (well sometimes it works, as evident in alot of their discussion forums).

well, you've got to keep apple's school of design in mind... they don't want us to upgrade ourselves. they want us to buy a new mac every time there's a new iteration

Which is why I can never be a switcher. I just cant fathom not being able to upgrade a machine. I truly am not the type of customer Apple wants (although they got 5 grand from me in this last year due to my insatiable appetite for trying something new) or feels is profitable(well after the initial purchase anyway...LOL). Lesson learned, I can tell you that. Anyway, I'm gonna eventually rip into this MBP and intall a 200/7200 anyway, but I just wanted to put my opinions out there. Thanks for listenin.... ^_^