did anyone test osx on that board yet

it should not be too much different from the other conroe boards

its a very cheap motherboard that does 1333fsb

ideal for a 200bucks c2d upgrade machine

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...33-DVI/H%20R2.0

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...333-D667%20R1.0

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...333-D667%20R2.0

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...nRoe1333-eSATA2

The 1333-DVI/H is exactly the same board as the old ConRoe945G-DVi; how do I know? Because I crossflashed its BIOS onto my ConRoe945G-DVi and to answer your question, it still runs OS X perfectly fine.

However, if you don't need the HDCP-enabled DVI-output card, why bother spending more on this board over the 945G-DVi? No version of the 945 chipset officially supports 1333MHz FSB, as ASRock themselves say, and you'll need to overclock the PCIe bus to run it at that speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one and put it in to replace a intel 915 board.. and the only thing I need to do is fix the networking.. and tweak the sound to see the coreect ports.. but it was 15 minutes to get it running.. Not bad for 70 bucks..

Abysmal..

The 1333-DVI/H is exactly the same board as the old ConRoe945G-DVi; how do I know? Because I crossflashed its BIOS onto my ConRoe945G-DVi and to answer your question, it still runs OS X perfectly fine.

However, if you don't need the HDCP-enabled DVI-output card, why bother spending more on this board over the 945G-DVi? No version of the 945 chipset officially supports 1333MHz FSB, as ASRock themselves say, and you'll need to overclock the PCIe bus to run it at that speed.

Does the cross flashed bios with the DVI board fix the sleep issues?

Abysmal

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. It still doesn't enter S3 and won't even restore from Power-on-Sleep. I suspect there is a BIOS limitation (notice the BIOS option for ACPI S3 is either Auto or OFF) which detects an OS where sleep is known to work (i.e. Windows) and enables it; with an unknown OS, the board will always enter POS...

I just ordered a Asrock Conroe 1333 DVI/H board with a Celeron D 360. C2D is still too expensive for my experiments, and it`ll be a good replacement for my old Athlon XP (which is SSE1 only, compared to the Celeron D with SSE2+3) :)

Which version should I take? I don`t bother too much for 10.4.10, but 10.4.9 would be nice indeed. Any help would be appreciated :D

Dr. C

How did you flash the 1333-DVI/H to the old Conroe 945G_DVI?

Davide

I just ordered a Asrock Conroe 1333 DVI/H board with a Celeron D 360. C2D is still too expensive for my experiments, and it`ll be a good replacement for my old Athlon XP (which is SSE1 only, compared to the Celeron D with SSE2+3) :)

..and things change pretty fast, I`ll get a Core 2 Duo E4300 today and return the Celeron D before it arrived. So much more power for just a little bit more money, I just could`nt say no.

Dr. C

• 2 weeks later...

Sound is fine with AppleAzalia.kext, although obviously you can't use Line-In that way. I haven't tried getting a codec dump under Linux to get AppleHDA working, although I do know that none of the existing ALC888 codec dumps work.

Sleep appears to be buggy, although I haven't tried the just released 1.60 1333DVI/H BIOS. As for those interested in the crossflash, read my topic over on OCW forums here:

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=64501

Sound is fine with AppleAzalia.kext, although obviously you can't use Line-In that way. I haven't tried getting a codec dump under Linux to get AppleHDA working, although I do know that none of the existing ALC888 codec dumps work.

Sleep appears to be buggy, although I haven't tried the just released 1.60 1333DVI/H BIOS. As for those interested in the crossflash, read my topic over on OCW forums here:

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=64501

i saw that you were able to do the bsel mod, after the bsel mod did it boot up with 266 mhz default or did you have to set it i manually, i have a e4400, i tried the bsel mod but i dont know if it works or not, it still loads up by default at 200 mhz but i have been able to clock it and run it at 275 fsb now, (before i couldn't go beyond 230)

Wasn't me who did the BSEL mod, I'm afraid.. If you register on OCW, I'm sure the guy who did will tell you about it. The only thing I've read is that you have to be absolutely certain it's making good contact and that some joints that appear OK are not. If it still boots at 200, that's a sure sign it's not worked and it's probably worth scraping it off and doing it again (maybe with different conductive gunk), because 9x5 chipsets use only the BSEL configuration to calculate FSB, unlike nForce chipsets which work it out from microcode, making BSEL mods pointless.

Wasn't me who did the BSEL mod, I'm afraid.. If you register on OCW, I'm sure the guy who did will tell you about it. The only thing I've read is that you have to be absolutely certain it's making good contact and that some joints that appear OK are not. If it still boots at 200, that's a sure sign it's not worked and it's probably worth scraping it off and doing it again (maybe with different conductive gunk), because 9x5 chipsets use only the BSEL configuration to calculate FSB, unlike nForce chipsets which work it out from microcode, making BSEL mods pointless.

yeh, that is what i was thinking, i used the correct material believe, the napa rear window defrost repair kit, gonna try it again

nail polish remover is safe to use to remove it right?

• 2 months later...

Could someone help me get sound working on this board? I've followed the instructions for AppleAzalia but no sound hardware appears in System Profile. Is there some extra trick. I don't think that my board is version 2.0 and I am currently using firmware 1.40 as the more recent firmwares do not boot at all.

I have the version 1.0 board.. and sound works fine with the stock azilia package.. reinstall your sound and make sure you delete your applehda.kext, that and do the standard kext cleanup..

Abysmal

My board is v2.0, sound OUTPUT (no input) is working with AzaliaAudio.pkg, just install & repair permissions - thats it! No editing or anything like that required. I took it from uphuck 1.4i. Others should also work I guess.

Hi,

I have a question for those who possess a asrock conroe 1333 + core 2 duo. How are the performance compared to a real mac?

I plan to buy this cheap mobo with a core 2 duo. It is for intensive use of photoshop and illustrator. Is it a good choice?

Thanks.

Manu

I can`t compare it to a real C2D-Mac, but: The speed depends heavily on the ammount of RAM you have in your machine. I have 3GB installed, my machine feels really really fast with it. For exact specs see my signature. So, short answer: I´d say YES.

I can`t compare it to a real C2D-Mac, but: The speed depends heavily on the ammount of RAM you have in your machine. I have 3GB installed, my machine feels really really fast with it. For exact specs see my signature. So, short answer: I´d say YES.

Hi Dr. C,

just to know what kind of memory you have??? Because I have just bought this card with 4x1Gb double sided memory and it appears (read in the manual) that the card only accepts 2x double sided memory or 4x single sided memory. Do you have 1x2Gb + 1x1Gb?? I suppose it does not work in dual channel mode???

Thanks for the help.

Manu