Building a new PC

23 posts in this topic

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum. I guess i am a noob but i am amazed on what you can build on your own! I want to build a PC, suited for OSX(first of all) and XP. I don't want to make to much tweeks(or no at all if its possible) and be sure that it will work after i buy the parts. I don't care for gaming so the graphic card doesn't have to be perfect.

Here is what i come up with so far:

Intel D975XBX2

Intel Core2 Duo E4400

Maxtor DiamondMax 21 250 GB (SATA II, 8MB cache, NCQ)

Lite-ON Super AllWrite DVD+/-RW LH-20A1S bulk (Serial ATA)

Kingston DDR2 1GB 667MHz CL5 ECC

GeForce 7200GS Asus 128MB (512MB)TV & DVI (PCI-E) Turbo Cache

I am not sure about the memory choice. I will also need some case, sound card?(i have sb live 4.1 in my old box - will that work?). I am waiting for your opinions and thanks!!

Thanks for feedback!!

Ok I am changing dvd for Pioneer DVD+/-RW DVR-112 bulk, the price is similar anyway.

About the graphic card. As i said before i don't care for gaming and i could always change for smth better, i just want something cheap and fully compatible.

If I buy this kind of machine what kind of tutorial would you reccomend for dual boot.

Once again. Thanks guys.

Here is what i come up with so far:

Intel D975XBX2

Intel Core2 Duo E4400

Maxtor DiamondMax 21 250 GB (SATA II, 8MB cache, NCQ)

Lite-ON Super AllWrite DVD+/-RW LH-20A1S bulk (Serial ATA)

Kingston DDR2 1GB 667MHz CL5 ECC

GeForce 7200GS Asus 128MB (512MB)TV & DVI (PCI-E) Turbo Cache

I am not sure about the memory choice. I will also need some case, sound card?(i have sb live 4.1 in my old box - will that work?). I am waiting for your opinions and thanks!!

The Bad Axe 1 and 2 (Intel D975XBX and D975XBX2) are great mobos, very compatible with OS X and very good in their own right.

As to the HD, personally I prefer the Seagate Barracuda.

Re RAM, I bought Crucial Ballistix for my hackintosh.

The Intel D975XBX2 has an integrated sound card which should work with OS X.

Thanks for replies.

Ok, so I won't be getting a soundcard cause i don't need one (integrated)

I am thinking of 2 gb of RAM

Corsair Value Select DDR2 2x 1GB 533MHz

and this graphic card

GeForce 7600 GT Gigabyte Silent Pipe 128MB TV & DVI (PCI-E) bulk

The rest i think will stay the same.

i dont know, i think the geforce 8600 is better with the new kexts

They aren't yet supported on OS X, contrary to your little fairy world belief. Close, but no cigar. Not yet, anyway.

It's also worth noting that somebody really needs to point out to both ATI and nVIDIA that 128-bit memory buses are NOT GOOD, even for a mid-range cards! A 7900 GS costs the same as a 8600 GT and leaves it in the dust, and likewise a 7900GT (if you can still find one) will wipe the floor with an 8600GTS and again costs about the same. Both the 7 series cards I listed are supported under OS X. The X1950 pro should be a good choice too, costing slightly less than all the nVIDIA cards I listed, but nobody seems to have got one working under OS X.

Next. :gun:

Edit: And before you start with the DX10 argument, I'd like to point out that it's going to be several generations of DX10 cards before DX10 games are mainstream, and they aren't going to run well even on current top end cards like the 2900 and 8800. Current DX10 games are just shoddy DX9 ports and take nearly no advantage of DX10 features. They also run like a pig on 8800s and 2900s, so don't even start with the 8600 and it's toy 128-bit memory bus.

I don't think i will wait that long for 20 bucks but thanks for the effort.

If I buy above parts i just install JAS from DVD and that's it?

Or will i have to update bios/play around with configuration and so on?

If I buy above parts i just install JAS from DVD and that's it?

Basically yes, except for sound. See here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=Sigmatel+9274D

I'd buy better RAM if I were you. The one you have chosen will be a bottleneck in your system.

Edit: And before you start with the DX10 argument, I'd like to point out that it's going to be several generations of DX10 cards before DX10 games are mainstream, and they aren't going to run well even on current top end cards like the 2900 and 8800. Current DX10 games are just shoddy DX9 ports and take nearly no advantage of DX10 features. They also run like a pig on 8800s and 2900s, so don't even start with the 8600 and it's toy 128-bit memory bus.

Well said! Personally I couldn't care less about DX10, also because I am not planning to replace XP x64 with Vista.

And in any case I use Windows twice a month on average.

@Alessandro17

What's important?

Quality. Go to Crucial RAM. I'll imagine that you live in Europe:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/

Performance Memory (Ballistix)

http://www.crucial.com/eu/ballistix/

Use the Memory Advisor.

You might for instance like this one:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/ballistix/store/...2KIT12864AA1065

• 2 weeks later...
... i would reccomend a nvidia 8600gt w/256mb vram, it is perfectly compatible now

I've been following the main [unofficial] GeForce 8xxx thread since about day one, and it's very clear that no unofficial 8-series card work properly yet. Properly as in full memory recognition and working QE/CI. So, don't buy an 8-series card quite yet if you're looking for [hack]OSX support...

Since gaming is not important to you, i wouldn't get an 8-series card anyways. The abovementioned 7-series graphics cards are all very good, but may be a bit too good for your use. But i'm sure you'll be able to figure out a good card from the advice given by everyone and by reading reviews for them online... Beware that if you want dual-monitor support in OSX you'll have to be a bit more careful about the card you get.

Good luck with putting together your new hackintosh :thumbsdown_anim: Looks like a sweet system for the moment...

Bad idea. ATA is going the way of the dinosaur. If I recall correctly, Intel got rid of all PATA connections a while back, so you would have to buy a, add-in card.

Alessandro17(I love OpenSUSE btw, it was my first distro, actually it was still SUSE when I first used it) is right. I'd go for 2gigs+,RAM is dirt cheap. ECC is a good idea., but if you're short on cash, it can be sacrificed.

And ditto, you won't need DX10. For example, Lost Planet looks the same be it DX10 or 9 and DX10 is slower. But I am a bit concerned with the videocard. IMHO, turbocache or Hypermemory should be avoided(I used to have a x1400, which had HM, terrible). On newegg, I've seen a 7600GS for $120, a bit more than the 7200. But it is a 512Mb card, so Nvinject may be needed.

Good luck.

Thanks for replies!

For the mainboard and cpu i have no doubt this is a good choice.

I think i will change the harddrive to

Seagate 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10 (16MB, Serial ATA II) since ppl seem to like it.

and the gf to

GeForce 7600 GS Asus Top 256MB HDTV & DVI (PCI-E) (600/1400) since 7600GS looks very promising.

Still have doubt about the RAM.(that means not a lot of cash ;) )

Crucial are a little expensive, same goes for corsair ECC.

Is it better to buy less high quality ram or 2 gigs of smth cheaper like

Corsair Value Select DDR2 2x 1GB 667MHz ??

I would like to point out that i don't buy this for gaming. OSX compatibility is very important for me. I was very close to buying used Imac (2.0, 1gb ram) but it didn't work out because of the seller. Maybe for the better, i heard the will be new Imacs anyway.

Still have doubt about the RAM.(that means not a lot of cash ;) )

Crucial are a little expensive, same goes for corsair ECC.

Is it better to buy less high quality ram or 2 gigs of smth cheaper like

Corsair Value Select DDR2 2x 1GB 667MHz ??

I'd always go for quality anyway. Trouble is, RAM should go in pairs nowadays. So if you can't afford 2GB of quality RAM you should buy a kit of 512MBx2, like this one:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/ballistix/store/...L2KIT6464AA1005

But by doing so you'll occupy 2 memory slots in your motherboard, while having "only" 1GB RAM.

Another disadvantage is that your beautiful system will be "choked" by the low amount of RAM.

And BTW, we are very near to the next Intel price cuts. So you might want to wait for that, you could buy a better CPU for the same price of the one you had in mind.

Edit: as an "emergency" solution you could buy 2GB cheaper RAM. Later you can always replace it with quality RAM.

+1 on waiting for the new processor releases in mid july. the prices on the current offerings will be cut in half, and the new line will be available at about current prices, and they'll have 1.33ghz fsb

case in point, i'm waiting to build my new rig until the new cpu's come out in a couple weeks