Need help from a Guru

25 posts in this topic

OK,

On behalf of the Compaq C500 series laptop users I thought I would beg for some assistance from the gurus. This is a FANTASTIC budget Macbook replacement at around $500. The only thing holding a lot of people back is the inability for the built in wifi to work...I know you are thinking well get a more compatible card....How much more compatible can you get then an actual Broadcom 4311 (14e4,4311) card!

Here is a brief description of the problem, and following that you will find a link to the thread where a few of us have been discussing this issue:

Issue 1: If you perform a fresh install of 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 and leave the card installed you will get a kernel panic on boot. Removing the card removes the kernel panic.

Issue 2: If you are running 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 and you replace IONetowrking and IO80211 kext with either 10.4.5 or 10.4.6 the kernel panic goes away. The card itself though is never recognized. Usually the Wifi power light indicator stays off if you boot straight into OS X. If you boot Windows first though the light stays on, but the card is still not recognized.

Please oh knowledgeable ones (kissing enough a** here?) could you give us a hand with this.

Thank you in advance.

Link to ongoing discussion of this issues

Could it be because of the hardware conflict? (the ethernet card is Realtek and the wireless card is Broadcom). One of the hackintosh Guru said that. I don't know. All I can do is just wait and see :|

how did you fix the problem of not being able to shut down correctly (if you have)

Ditto on errandwolfe's plea for help, and @nirvanaguy, I wasn't able to shut down my C300 until recently. I installed with Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 and my USB wasn't working and my laptop wouldn't shut down. Then I did a fresh install with Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 and this time I installed the "USB driver needed for some PCs" and my USB worked and I could shut down normally as well as sleep and wake.

thanks, i can atleast get it to shutdown now, havent tried to see if the wifi card change helps, i need to get the device id to change bios to accept it, to get the device i need to find a way to boot with it, i can do that by hotswapping the card, putting the laptop in standby, replacing card and restarting it, will get around to doing that soon i hope

tdixon, the usb fix helped me with the shutdown problem but sleep still doesn't work for me, i have uphuck 10.4.9 1.2 installed, when i try 10.4.9 1.3 right after the install when i boot into osx i get a message saying, "please shutdown your computer holding the power button. can you tell me what options you picked when installing with 10.4.9 1.3, what kernel,drivers/other options that are available did you pick

Here's what I installed:

10.4.9 Intel

Intel SSE3-1 kernel

GMA950 driver

USB driver

Azalia audio driver

PowerManagement.bundle

1080211family.kext patch (installs networking kexts from 10.4.5, prevents "please shutdown your computer holding the power button")

By the way, my computer sleeps fine, but I have to wake the computer by opening the lid. If I wake it by pressing the power button, my trackpad doesn't work until I put it back to sleep and wake it by opening the lid.

Guys (and girls) this was not meant to be a discussion about sleep issues. I am trying to keep this thread focused directly on the Broadcom 4311 mini-PCI-E card and the mini-PCI-E bus itself. There are plenty of other threads to discuss sleep issues.

Tdixon,

Simple answer to your question, no you can not install another mini-PCI-E bus in your laptop. Complex answer...well if you were an electrical engineer, great with a soldering iron, had the complete manufacturer's specs, and somehow managed to actually find just the bus for sale someplace then I suppose you could. For the most part with a laptop you are stuck with what you get.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this in another thread dealing with sound issues (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=20947&st=100):

Toshiba is using absolutely proprietary Memory and IO-ranges for the Intel PCI bus which are set quite solid in the BIOS, that's why Intel/Conexant HD Audio or LAN/WLAN are not working here.

I don't really know what that means, but could "proprietary Memory and IO-ranges" for the mini pci express bus have something to do with this issue?

• 1 month later...
Hi all, i have an HP DV2000 with this :angel:4311 wifi card, my question is :

Can i change this card for an other one ?

short answer is now, hp has a white list of acceptable cards, if you try to get a 3rd party card most likely it wont be supported, it can be made to work with some bios editing, I tried it but it didnt work and i screwed up my bios

I have an Aspire 3680 with a broadcom 4311. I think somebody else already tried switching it out didn't they? Oh well, I'll be able to switch it out with another one here in another hour maybe but it also might not be until the end of the day. I'll post the results <_<

I have an Aspire 3680 with a broadcom 4311. I think somebody else already tried switching it out didn't they? Oh well, I'll be able to switch it out with another one here in another hour maybe but it also might not be until the end of the day. I'll post the results :(

so?

although i am pretty sure it wont work it would be nice to confirm it

we need someone with a non compaq laptop but with a similar problem to swap out their card with a different wifi card and see if it helps

Dude you said yourself to try this so wtf are you trying to say here with this "so?" {censored} >:)

Anyway, it turns out my friend thought his card was PCI-E but it was just regular pci =\