Sony VAIO Motion Eye webcam

JeroenJ

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm having problems to make my webcam (Motion Eye) working ony VAIO laptop, I've tried macam, and it recognises my webcam. But as soon as I press play, it gives me an "USB Connection Error"..

I have no clue what to do, searched the forums but didn't find anything, somebody posted about this problem in the OSX86 section, but there they said he would be better off here... Didn't see that post here, so I created a new one

Let's hope any of you guys can help me out with this! It would be cool to have my cam working :wacko:

Thanks in advance :wacko:

JJ,

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's interesting! This could be used to convert or create an OSX driver from it

I'm not enough knowledged on this side, but I might try to learn some stuff.

But first things first: as long as my LCD isn't working, I'm not starting to search a solution for this (since not one vaio user has his internal lcd working with an nvidia card)

if somebody made something and want somebody to test you can always let me know :(

JJ,

• 4 months later...

The only way I can get my built in webcam to work is to first boot into windows and then restart and boot into leopard. If I just cold boot into leopard it won't work. I have a sony vaio vgn-fe880e tri booting vista, fedora 8, and leopard. Everything works great except for the 3945 wifi card.

Hi, I have a Vaio VGN-FZ18M and my WebCam work fine with Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 & EFI v8 mbr.

Windows Vista detail of my hardware is:

Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC4

USB\VID_05CA&PID_1837&REV_0100&MI_00

...i don't know if it is the same of the yours.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, i have Leopard 10.5.2 (iatkos) single boot on a Vaio TZ17 and the webcam never worked... i looked around a long time trying to find a working driven but then I realized that the issue is not with the driver itself but with the camera microcode.

apparently the Ricoh webcam needs to be initialized uploading a microcode (firmware) before the driver can hook to it. The Debiam driver is doing so when the kernel module is mounted so to confirm my theory I installed an Ubuntu virtual machine with the proper drivers and after running it my leopard can see the camera natively!

now... what we need is a microcode uploader... i have the webcam firmware (found in the linux driver source package) but i can't find any firmware uploader for mac! any idea? this would solve everyone's issue and could be automated with a startup script.

cheers

hey can u give like instruction on how u got webcam working?... I have ricon on dv9207... but some people say it works for them out of the box... it has been only showing black for me... because as u said it would not initialize...

hey can u give like instruction on how u got webcam working?... I have ricon on dv9207... but some people say it works for them out of the box... it has been only showing black for me... because as u said it would not initialize...

Dhoomz you might wanna look at my topic. There is a chance the solution I found might get yours working. It has to do with the {censored} as UVC driver that Leopard includes.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=100897

thx diabolic... i will try it tonight, but the thing is that... I have ricoh... I am dual booting vista and I know I have the ricoh wecam mentioned by fintoingegnere.. I will try to use ur trick however cuz the problem seems to be the same... the webcam just doesnt initialize... because I know in vista too, quickplay has to intitialize the webcam first and after it turns it on, it can use it...

let u know the results tonight...

@ diabolic... thx ma, but it says no video from source... every program detects my webcam as USb webcam... but cannot initialize it... as in it cannot turn it on to use it... oh and also for more info, i have ricoh R5U870 webcam... I know the usb webcam that mac detects is my webcam because vista treats it as a usb webcam as well... It doesnt even work when i do select user picture... all programs so far including iChat detect it though and try to use it without any luck :-/...

@ fintoingegnere... can u tell us how it worked with virtual ubuntu... did u use parallels?... im quite familiar with ubuntu... and I have gotten my webcam to work on real ubuntu before i installed kalyway....

I have an hp dv9207 laptop and someone on this forum said the webcam worked out of the box for them :-/...

• 6 months later...

What about camera Ricoh in Sony Vaio with Leopard 10.5.5?.

Is there any solution for your correct detection?.

My model is Sony Vaio VGN-SZ2XP/C. My vendor and product of camera is: 1830:05ca

Best regards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

List of Vendor ID's and Product ID's

* 05ca:1810 HP Pavilion Webcam - UVC

* 05ca:1830 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2 (for VAIO SZ)

* 05ca:1832 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC3 (for VAIO UX)

* 05ca:1833 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2 (for VAIO AR1)

* 05ca:1834 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2 (for VAIO AR2)

* 05ca:1835 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC5 (for VAIO SZ)

* 05ca:1836 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC4 (for VAIO FE)

* 05ca:1837 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC4 (for VAIO FZ)

* 05ca:1839 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6 (for VAIO CR)

* 05ca:183a Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC7 (for VAIO SZ)

* 05ca:183b Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC8 (for VAIO FZ)

* 05ca:1870 HP Pavilion Webcam / HP Webcam 1000

http://www.palmix.org/r5u870-en.html

http://avilella.googlepages.com/camera_notes

The cam needs to preload its firmware, to initialize to work.

This post is interesting about our Motion Eye webcams VGC-VCC7 Camera HACK, How to get VGC-VCC Camera to work

Is there any hacker that can port these linux drivers to OSX please ?

• 3 months later...