New VMWare Fusion supports native XP partition on Hackintosh

xtraa

14 posts in this topic

Hey,

afaik that wasn't possible with Parallels yet:

Just install, and select your "Boot Camp" :hammer: partition. Boom.

Download of VMWare Fusion Beta 4

http://register.vmware.com/content/beta/fu...gistration.html

And guess what, after installing the VMWare Tools including 3D Acceleration and all the drivers, it's faaast ;)

My Config is: OS X and Vista on HD0 and XP on HD1

Cheers,

xtraa

Parallels could be "hacked" to support it (I think edit the VM file or something), but it was a pain in the ass. It's good that VMWare supports it natively. I guess they're unintentionally gaining more support from the OSx86 community. :P

Hey,

afaik that wasn't possible with Parallels yet:

Just install, and select your "Boot Camp" :D partition. Boom.

Download of VMWare Fusion Beta 4

http://register.vmware.com/content/beta/fu...gistration.html

And guess what, after installing the VMWare Tools including 3D Acceleration and all the drivers, it's faaast :blush:

My Config is: OS X and Vista on HD0 and XP on HD1

Cheers,

xtraa

It's funny you got that "Boom" thing, just like Steve Jobs, hehehe.

Parallels could be "hacked" to support it (I think edit the VM file or something), but it was a pain in the ass. It's good that VMWare supports it natively. I guess they're unintentionally gaining more support from the OSx86 community. :blink:

On Apple Hardware Parallels does not need a "hack", even on hackintoshes, Parralles coud see another partition as BootCamp without a "hack".

On Apple Hardware Parallels does not need a "hack", even on hackintoshes, Parralles coud see another partition as BootCamp without a "hack".

Well, I was sort of right. We had to edit the VM file for AMDs. :pirate2:

Meh. I've been out of the OSx86 loop for too long since I got my MBP. Leave me alone! :lol:

Partitions maybe. But I had Vista installed on another HD and it didn't detect it, even with a ton of tweaks.

Which leads me to two questions about VMware:

1) Native Vista "bootcamp" support, or just native XP support?

2) Does it HAVE to be a partition, or can it be a Windows installation on another drive?

I think we already have a topic about this: VMWare Fusion beta 4 on hackintosh boots windows partition like bootcamp.

I finally have the BootCamp option, too, although I am on a MBP, where I installed XP via BootCamp obviously. I still wonder why this doesn't work for my external HDDs which are connected to the Macbook Pro via eSATA (also containing an XP installation from my old PC).

i noticed something weird after installing the latest fusion on my new mbp. once i was done installing, after the next reboot cpu load would go to 100%. caused by airport. sooo i turned airport off although i'm connecting to a wifi network here, which still works even with airport gone (wtf?). then reboot, same thing. it got annoying, because the book running full blast all the time doing nothing isn't exactly helping keeping things cool and stuff. so google it was.. seems like most people that reported similar things in the past had some weird vnc stuff going that would cause it. well i know for certain that i only installed fusions latest beta at that time. so i decided to uninstall it et voila load is back to normal

so has anyone else experienced this? i would really love to give fusion a shot, but not if it's causing 100% load even when it's not running. i actually never ran it so far. doh. i got me the wxp64 trial of microsoft but didn't get to install it yet. so i'm thinking maybe give parallels a shot? DOH

It's funny you got that "Boom" thing, just like Steve Jobs, hehehe.

Ah yes... This happens everytime I get a call on my iphone here in Cupertino. :o

Now booting my native Vista installation.

Nice :) But: Does it support Aero?

Nice ;) But: Does it support Aero?

I didn't install Parallels Tools yet. I'll have to see.

Runs pretty slow, but I just have a 3.0GHz Pentium 4, which really isn't built for virtualization.

Strangely, VMWare now recognizes that Vista is installled on my eSATA hard disk. When I launched VMWare Fusion yesterday, it looked like this:

post-7262-1182437548_thumb.jpg

I didn't make any changes to the installation other than editing the Vista bootloader with EasyBCD and copying it over to the Vista partition. I guess that did the trick, though I haven't launched it yet. Hopefully it works, too.