Mac OS Leopard Requirements

zetbee

23 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a question, what are the Leopard hardware requirements? I mean how fast or strong stuff i need to run Leopard and works on it fluently, fast and with comfort...

For example I have:

Mac Book Pro 17" with Intel Core 2 Duo 2,33Ghz, 2 Gigs of RAM memory, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB of Memory and 160GB of HD space...

Is the Leopard will run on this computer...?

Lol... Are you a mentalist? You have one of the most powerful pro-level laptops Apple has ever produced, and you're worried Leopard might not run well on it? Of course it will! :hysterical: In fact, thanks to the multicore optimisations it may (should?) even run better than Tiger.

Leopard will run on any machine with a G4 or better (PowerPC), or ANY Intel Mac. Furthermore, I suspect people will find ways to run it on lesser hardware - older G3 macs for example, or hackintoshes lacking dual-core etc.

From the latest beta:

To run Mac OS X Leopard, you must have a Macintosh computer with:

- An Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (800 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

- A DVD drive

- Built-in FireWire

- At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

- A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

- At least 7 GB of disk space available, or 12 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

"- A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer"

isn't that a basic requierement :pirate2: ?

PS : if you need an Mac OS Server then you don't need an display everytime you start it :censored2:

Lol... Are you a mentalist? You have one of the most powerful pro-level laptops Apple has ever produced, and you're worried Leopard might not run well on it? Of course it will! :lol: In fact, thanks to the multicore optimisations it may (should?) even run better than Tiger.

Leopard will run on any machine with a G4 or better (PowerPC), or ANY Intel Mac. Furthermore, I suspect people will find ways to run it on lesser hardware - older G3 macs for example, or hackintoshes lacking dual-core etc.

thats already there for core solo minis

• 3 months later...

HI1

I am receiving conflicting opinions whether or not my G4 can cut it with Leopard.

Here is what I have:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 115GB hard drive...30GB available

Machine Model: PowerMac3,4

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (11.3)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 533 MHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1

I have been told to get at least 800mhz...do i really need this?

I assume if I purchase this G4 I will be ok? :

Powermac G4 1.25GHz Dual 256Mb 80GB ComboDrive FW800

Thanks

No, you need a Intel Core 64X 64 Core 128bit processor with 100GB of memory, 1TB of hard drive, quad layer blu-ray drive to run Leopard at a reasonable speed.

This my regular computer with AIX running. One of the arrays controllers. But. On Apple Mac Book Pro 17" GLOSSY 2GB of RAM at 677Mhz and 1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2,33Ghz with ATI MOBILITY Radeon at 256MB of memory - runs GREAT.

:D

No, you need a Intel Core 64X 64 Core 128bit processor with 100GB of memory, 1TB of hard drive, quad layer blu-ray drive to run Leopard at a reasonable speed.

100GB of memory  ...    You are so stronger than me ,than somebody..

hi Guys

I would like to know whether this OS leopard will work on my HP laptop with vista.

I will create a free partion & ready to install.

This is the laptop

you can go through the config & please let me know ASAP

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF...=reg_R1002_INEN

PLEASE REPLY SOON

You need an Apple computer to run Mac OS X, no matter which version.

If you want to do OSX86...

it all depends on whether people make drivers for that computer.

I think the final Leopard requirements will be:

- Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (1GHz or faster) or G5 processor

- DVD drive

- Built-in FireWire

- At least 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended for development purposes)

- A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card

- At least 10GB of disk space available

I have a Mac Pro (Intel Core2 duo).. and Leopard 9A559 does *NOT* run on it!

I get the BSOD after restarting after installation is complete... mouse/cursor still working...

the dvd passes the verification test.

When I switch back to Tiger... no problems....

Apple?

HI1

I am receiving conflicting opinions whether or not my G4 can cut it with Leopard.

Here is what I have:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 115GB hard drive...30GB available

Machine Model: PowerMac3,4

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (11.3)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 533 MHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1

I have been told to get at least 800mhz...do i really need this?

I assume if I purchase this G4 I will be ok? :

Powermac G4 1.25GHz Dual 256Mb 80GB ComboDrive FW800

Thanks

I have the latest Leopard running on a very similar machine. (look in my signature)

The issue is you have to hack around the CPU speed check, because even though your total MHZ is OK, the installer (at least in the betas) doesn't take that into account.

Another issue is your video card. If it doesn't support QE/CI Leopard will be far less useful on that machine.

I picked up a cheap PC video card and flashed and it works. (Mine is limited to 2x AGP, your machine might be better.)

Hi

Will there be an easy way to hack the speed check as I would like to have it running on my old G4 450 power pc it has max memory fx5200 card and a fast 120mb drive it does good work with 10.4.10, I cannot see what there is in leopard that will bring it to its knees, sure Time machine is a resource hog but not my type of app. Photoshop 7 runs as quick as you like on this machine for basic work :-)

Or will I have to find it a new home :-) hate retiring old PC's

Jez

Hi

Will there be an easy way to hack the speed check as I would like to have it running on my old G4 450 power pc it has max memory fx5200 card and a fast 120mb drive it does good work with 10.4.10, I cannot see what there is in leopard that will bring it to its knees, sure Time machine is a resource hog but not my type of app. Photoshop 7 runs as quick as you like on this machine for basic work :-)

Or will I have to find it a new home :-) hate retiring old PC's

Jez

I have tried the new cat v559 on a 450DP - 9700pro - 1gig Ram - 120 + 80 HD's and there was no problems whatsoever or any noticeable speed difference over Tiger

You have to use a modified OSInstall.mpkg

:D

I have tried the new cat v559 on a 450DP - 9700pro - 1gig Ram - 120 + 80 HD's and there was no problems whatsoever or any noticeable speed difference over Tiger

You have to use a modified OSInstall.mpkg

:thumbsup_anim:

Odd. Almost identical machine as mine but there is a slight noticeable lag in the dock magnification on my system. It's not a show stopper, but still noticeable.