Mobility 7500 and QE?

13 posts in this topic

I did a search but found no definite answer for this. Is there a way to get QE working with a Mobility Radeon 7500? I did all the instructions in the 7500 pack and now apparently have OGL as I can run screensavers, but QE still says Not Supported in profiler. Anyone have a definite answer for this? Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot in advace :D

i have qe working on my thinkpad x31 with mobility readeon 7000 (m6) . you need the radeon 7500 package with all the kexts, required, instead of installing it, open it with pacifist and manually copy all the contents of the package to their correct location. also get callision version b006 and modify it to match your device id, you also need agpgart to correctly recognize your chipset. finally you need to change the minimum limit of vram required for quartz extreme to work, see here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=8472

i have qe working on my thinkpad x31 with mobility readeon 7000 (m6) . you need the radeon 7500 package with all the kexts, required, instead of installing it, open it with pacifist and manually copy all the contents of the package to their correct location. also get callision version b006 and modify it to match your device id, you also need agpgart to correctly recognize your chipset. finally you need to change the minimum limit of vram required for quartz extreme to work, see here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=8472

I have an X31 (Type 2672-C2U) running 10.4.8 JaS SSE2. Got the Radeon 7500 packages, copied everything manually, made sure permissions in all are root:wheel/755, pulled Callisto B006 and got Callisto's kext to work (shows up on device extensions), modified the minimum VRAM count in the Quartz Extreme configuration plist to 16.

QE doesn't work, and OpenGL seems to be rendering in software mode only (really really slow performance in Chess and the OSX Flurry Screensaver).

I am not able to duplicate your results...

What should I look into for troubleshooting?

Which OpenGL framework version, ATIRadeon.ext, ATIRadeonGA.ext, AGPGART.kext, Callisto*.kext and OSX versions are you running? Also, what does your Info.plist look like?

Here's what I got running via the report on System Profile->Software->Extensions:

AGPGart.kext v2.0

Callisto v1.0.0d1

CallistoHAL v1.0.0d1

Under Framework

OpenGL v1.4.1

Curiously enough, ATIRadeon*.ext doesn't seem to show up, but it should be 1.4.40 or 1.4.40.4. Any ideas? Your help is definitely appreciated...

BTW, System Profile does report it as a Radeon Mobility on AGP Bus with 16MB of total VRAM.

Theoretically anything from 8MB Rage up should be able to get QE, that was the minimum on apple HW.

No. QE only works from the Radeon M6/VE and up - one of the requirements of the OpenGL compositor for QE is that the texture unit support bitmaps that are not powers-of-2. Both the Rage Pros and Rage 128s do not meet that requirement, which is why the G3 Pismo/Lombard/QED, ToiletBooks, early Snows and the Mercury TiBooks are not QE supported. Furthermore, QE requires at least 16MByte of VRAM to work, and at least 32 to 64 to work well.

ragefury32:

Hi my name is Kioo.

And QE is actived at home.

I have a Dell Latitude C640 with ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility (M7) with Jas 10.4.8 Intel Amd SSE2 SSE3 (Itunes updated :rolleyes:)

Chess works slowly with many artefacts (don't care).

Fury works fine.

We have the same Callisto extension. But different ATIRadeon extension 1.4.32 for me and different AGPGart extension too, for me 1.0.

How did I do ?

I copied all files extracted of ATI package, manually. Delete the old and copy the new files.

And I just replaced Callisto by 006 (the same, delete the old and copy the new)

Redo the autorizations.

Be carreful, I have option '-f' in a boot config file.

And I modified CallistoHAL (006) to according with my card.

And my AGPGart extention too.

And I put down the limit of Quartz Extreme (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=8472)

I hope I can help you.

PM me if you want my files.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm tired and also I'm french. :thumbsup_anim:

Um. Never mind. I got AGP/OpenGL + QE to work on the X31, which runs a Radeon M6 (not M7, or Mo 7500). You might be able to use it on the M7 cards but you'll have to tweak it.

Here's what I did to enable it:

(This write-up will assume that you run 10.4.8 JaS SSE2 just like me, and that your machine does not have AGPGART or OpenGL/QE hardware support, and that you have administrative privileges on your account. If you can sudo, you're good to go)

a) Gather the Radeon 7500 and Callisto 006 packages from the forums (Go do a search for it)

B) DO NOT run the installer for the Radeon 7500 pack - Simply unpack the content of the Radeon 7500 pack onto a temporary directory on your desktop (Right-mouse-button click on it, show package contents, and then just drag the files onto the desktop). I would strongly advise you to call it something sane, like M6X31. Note that when you unpack it, you become the user/group owner of the files. This will be tweaked later.

Whem you unpack the Radeon 7500 pack you should see a copy of the OpenGL Framework for /System/Library/Frameworks (about 13.5MBytes in size) a bunch of kexts (kernel extensions). Each of those kexts appear to be a single file, but they are in reality packages with files inside. You should have 7 kext packages (2 Callisto, 1 AGPGART, 3 Radeon, 1 ATINDRV) and 1 ATIRadeonGA.plugin in the same folder.

c) Unpack Callisto 006 to the same temporary directory, and let the 2 new Callisto kexts overwrite the 2 old ones.

c) Prepare the packages for the machine.

First, open up a terminal session and go to the location of those temporay files, and tweak the contents of the AGPGART package. Go to AGPGART.kext/Contents/Info.plist and edit it as root. (sudo nano Info.plist)

We want the kernel to recognize the 855PM GART interface as the AGP GART.

Look for the line beneath IONameMatch that reads pci8086,2561. It should now be pci8086,3341. (Thinkpad T30 or Dell C640 users with the i845MP should use pci8086,1a31 instead.

Save it. (Use Ctrl-X, y to save and exit)

Tell the Radeon driver to pass control from the default framebuffer to Callisto's FrameBuffer.

Go to ATIRadeonGA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist and edit it as root. (sudo nano Info.plist)

Look for IOProviderClass and change the reference from the default Apple framebuffer to CallistoFB.

Next, tweak CallistoHAL so the framebuffer will pass OpenGL state information to the Radeon hardware.

Go to CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist and edit it as root. (sudo nano Info.plist)

Once again, look for IOPCIMatch and change the key below from something random to:

0x4c591002 (That's the Radeon M6. The Radeon M7 should use 0x4c571002)

You should now have 3 tweaked packages, the AGPGART.kext which calls the right GART interface to initialize AGP fast memory writes, ATIRadeonGA.plugin which tells OSX to use the Callisto Framebuffer, and CallistoHAL.kext which tells the Compositor to call the Radeon at that I/O location to work.

c) Open up terminal. You now want to set the permissions and ownership of the swapped Framework/Extensions from yourself back to 755/root:wheel. Go to the temporary folder where you kept those files and do a:

sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel *.plugin

sudo chmod -R 755 *.plugin

sudo chown -R root:wheel OpenGL.Framework

sudo chmod -R 755 OpenGL.Framework

d) Delete the OpenGL.Framework from /System/Library/Frameworks. The entire thing. Move the replacement copy of the OpenGL.Framework from the temporary directory to /System/Library/Frameworks. OSX should ask you to authenticate the deletion and the replacement. Remember, deletion and then replacement, not overwrite!

e) Go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete everything that starts with ATI.

(Inside terminal, just do a sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*). Move those 7 tweaked packages and 1 plugins into its place. Remember, deletion and then replacement, not overwrite!

f) Go to /System/Library/ and do a:

sudo rm Extensions.*

(This should get rid of the kextcaches)

g) Reboot machine with a:

sudo reboot

The bootup should take longer, but you should see the following loaded up on System Profiler under Software->Extensions:

Extension Name Version

AGPGART 1.0 (Apple's default version from the 7500 package)

Callisto 1.0.0d1

CallistoHAL 1.0.0d1

ATIRadeon 1.4.32

And under Frameworks:

OpenGL 1.4.1

If you click on Hardware -> Graphics/Display, it should report

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility (It should say Radeon Mobility 7500 on M7s)

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total) 16MB

Vendor ATI (0x1002)

Device ID 0x4c59 (It should say 0x4c57 on M7s)

...and so on.

CoreImage is not supported for anything less than nVidia GeforceFX Go, Radeon M10, or Intel GMA900 series, so getting CI is not possible on the X31.

Keep in mind that QuartzExtreme is designed to not enable itself unless you have at least 32MB of VRAM built-in. You can tweak the settings so QE kicks in on lower VRAM count, but it's usually not recommended (this is best practice even for the G3/G4 Apple hardware).

Verifying that OpenGL works and that full acceleration is fine:

a) Open up the Chess application and rotate the chessboard around. If the chessboard rotates properly and is fairly responsive, it's working. If it seems to be "stuck" or shows bizzare rendering artifacts, then it's most likely not working. Ditto can be readily seen running the Flurry OpenGL screensaver.

B) Open up a trailer for a movie using iTunes and use Alt-1/2/3/F to see if the video playback is smooth. All ATi Radeons have an overlay video engine, and given enough VRAM (about 2MBytes, another reason not to enable QE unless you have a good excuse to) the engine will accelerate video playback. How do you tell if the Overlay engine is working? Run the System Monitor inside Applications->Utilities. On a 600Mhz Banias doing 320x240 MP4 decoding, the CPU usage with Overlay engine acceleration will not exceed 45%, even on fullscreen playback. if your playback is jerky and your CPU usage through the roof? Well, you know.

c) Yes. The iTunes visualizer doesn't run all that fast in OpenGL mode...but then, the Radeon M6s are not all that fast anyways.

Troubleshooting:

If you cannot run iTunes, iChat, Chess, the flurry screensaver preference panel, Grapher or whatnot, then OpenGL is not working even for software fallback. Check to see if AGPGART is setup properly.

If you got Chess or the flurry working but they are slow as hell, check to see if you are running the correct OpenGL Framework version, or if you are on the correct ATIRadeon.kext version. If the ATIRadeon kext is not loaded all OpenGL rendering will be done in software, which is slow.

If you got OpenGL + AGP GART to work, and QuartzExtreme is working by lowering the VRAM count requirements, don't. Enabling QE will reduce the amount of VRAM available on the machine, making window swaps slow and video playback choppy.

Hm. Wait a minute. What the hell is the role of Callisto in all this? Can't I tweak Apple's own Framebuffer to get OpenGL, instead of using Callisto?

Hi,

On my computer:

DVD Player works but very very slowly.

VLC works slowly with dvd when the output is on OpenGL.

(Maybe my IDE is bad configured)

VLC works with files when the output is on OpenGL.

VLC crashes when the output is on Quartz.

RSS Screensaver crashes.

And you ?

• 1 year later...

Hm. Well, I am using Jas 10.4.8, which is missing ALOT of the standard OSX features (like RSS screensaver and etc). Note that the DVD player and VLC might use the 2D rendering surfaces (maybe using software BitBLT/strretching) functions instead of the overlay engine or OpenGL, which is what you want. Based on these assertions, you will want to verify that OpenGL is working.

Once again - Flurry Screensaver (actually, all OSX screensavers are OpenGL) and Chess is the best indication of whether it worked or not. if they are slow/tearing, it's most likely not working.

Oh yeah, make sure you are not using the Speedstep kernel with Pentium-Ms. Seems to have latency issues.

• 4 months later...
Hm. Well, I am using Jas 10.4.8, which is missing ALOT of the standard OSX features (like RSS screensaver and etc). Note that the DVD player and VLC might use the 2D rendering surfaces (maybe using software BitBLT/strretching) functions instead of the overlay engine or OpenGL, which is what you want. Based on these assertions, you will want to verify that OpenGL is working.

Once again - Flurry Screensaver (actually, all OSX screensavers are OpenGL) and Chess is the best indication of whether it worked or not. if they are slow/tearing, it's most likely not working.

Oh yeah, make sure you are not using the Speedstep kernel with Pentium-Ms. Seems to have latency issues.

hello

cannot seem to be able to find that '7500 bundle' that was mentioned above. any links seem to be dead

help?

• 10 months later...
hello

cannot seem to be able to find that '7500 bundle' that was mentioned above. any links seem to be dead

help?

http://www.boboki.com/Temp/OsX/

well , I tried everything without succes, to accerate my M6 Ati card:

With callisto I have a issue (black screen) but system runs...in background,

without it no acceleration at all ??? but GUI present...

I did all the tricks mentionned ...

perhaps someone could send me his files or put a package to download here...

or if get an idea about this trouble ?

My system profiler says

128Mb in place of the 32Mb of my graphic...4c59 1002

AGPgart :1a31 ???

Thanks...

+-o AGP0@1 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, $

| | | | {

| | | | "device-id" = <311a0000>

| | | | "acpi-pci-routing-table" = <3000000000000000ffff000000000000000$

| | | | "name" = "pci-bridge"

| | | | "IOPCIConfigured" = Yes

| | | | "#size-cells" = <02000000>

| | | | "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/AGP0@10000"

| | | | "IOName" = "pci-bridge"

| | | | "vendor-id" = <86800000>

| | | | "revision-id" = <04000000>

| | | | "IOPCIResourced" = Yes

| | | | "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 02b9b800, in$

| | | | "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStates =$

| | | | "acpi-reg" = <00080000>

| | | | "class-code" = <00040600>

| | | | "compatible" = <"pci8086,1a31","pciclass,060400">

| | | | "IODTPersist" = <54b748208cb74820>

| | | | "#address-cells" = <03000000>

| | | | "reg" = <0008000000000000000000000000000000000000>

| | | | "ranges" = <000000820000000000005080000000820000000000005080000$

| | | | }

| | | |

| | | +-o AGPGart <class AGPGart, registered, matched, active, busy 0, r$

| | | | {

| | | | "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStates$

| | | | "IOAGPFlags" = 1

| | | | "Bridge Memory Ranges" = (18446744071567376384,18446744071567$

| | | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AGPGart"

| | | | "IOClass" = "AGPGart"

| | | | "IONameMatched" = "pci8086,1a31"

| | | | "IOProbeScore" = 900

| | | | "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 02bfe400, $

| | | | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"

| | | | "IONameMatch" = ("pci8086,1a31")

| | | | "Bridge IO Ranges" = (41216,45055)

| | | | "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"

| | | | }

| | | |

| | | +-o VGA0@0 <class IOAGPDevice, registered, matched, active, busy$

| | | | {

| | | | "AAPL,gray-page" = <01000000>

| | | | "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=18446744071696285696,"lengt$

| | | | "device-id" = <"YL">

| | | | "IOChildIndex" = 1

| | | | "name" = "display"

| | | | "AAPL,RegEntryID" = <80a2c2027f5d3dfd656d69537a6c7552>

| | | | "AAPL,ndrv-dev" = Yes

| | | | "AAPL,gray-value" = <c38c6400>

| | | | "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/AGP0@10000/VGA0@0"

| | | | "IOName" = "display"

| | | | "vendor-id" = <02100000>

| | | | "revision-id" = <00000000>

| | | | "IOPCIResourced" = Yes

| | | | "IOPMIsPowerManaged" = Yes

| | | | "subsystem-vendor-id" = <25100000>

| | | | "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 02c2a280$

| | | | "IOInterruptControllers" = ("8259-pic")

| | | | "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStat$

| | | | "acpi-reg" = <00000000>

| | | | "IOHibernateState" = <00000000>

| | | | "class-code" = <00000300>

| | | | "display-connect-flags" = <00000000>

| | | | "compatible" = <"pci1025,101d","pci1002,4c59","pciclass,030$

| | | | "AAPL,iokit-ndrv" = <80dc0f2b>

| | | | "assigned-addresses" = <100001c2000000000000008800000000000$

| | | | "subsystem-id" = <1d100000>

| | | | "reg" = <00000100000000000000000000000000000000001000014200$

| | | | "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0b00000007000000>)

i have to add to the list..

i'm on a thinkpad T42 with XxX OSX 10.4.10 updated to 10.4.11 (the 10.4.11 XxX cd just kernel panicked and didn't boot at all). anyway:

great tutorial by ragefury32, qe is now enabled, opengl semi-works. i mean, i can use grapher, chess, flurry, and thought everything will be nice. so i tried to play some (old) games, like realmyst, or some even older, like doom (with doomsday engine). most of them crash like hell, and give me an error like this:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0884a000

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 glgProcessColor(GLDPixelMode const*, GLGOperation const*, unsigned long) + 6549

1 glgProcessPixels + 160

2 gldGetTextureLevel + 1919

3 gldGetTextureLevel + 7056

4 gldGetTextureLevel + 3776

5 gldDestroyQuery + 2017

6 gldUpdateDispatch + 36416

7 glBegin_Exec + 313

8 gluSphere + 3307

9 -[Menu drawBackground] + 462

this can be traced back to the OpenGL.framework. so i backed up the one from the Radeon 7500 pack, and installed the original framework from the XxX dvd. this resulted in the pointer appearing on the grey apple logo screen (!) and then nothing. so i reverted to the one from the pack. i can't even use really old stuff like Fallout 1&2 (garbled screen), flash player 10 (white screen instead of flash - 10.1 gives me flash, but crashes the browser when going to full screen), of even dosbox (works, although with blue tint on everything).

i know even getting the card to work is a miracle and i shouldn't complain, and i'm not! i'm only asking for a little advice, since this problem seems to be marginal. i'll try other versions of the OpenGL.framework if i can find any, and i'll post my findings in this thread.

if somebody has a suggestion, pplleeaassee help, this is the final step to a perfect install on this old machine.. (well, not _perfect_, since i couldn't get speedstepping to work (yet), so the machine runs a little hot, and i can't sleep either, but i can really live with these..)

thanks,

bamdad