Mac OS 10 Leopard Switches to ZFS

12 posts in this topic

Will it really make that much of a difference for end users? After all, HFS+ is a professional filesystem as far as I know.

Check out this link: ;)

http://uadmin.blogspot.com/2006/09/hfs-jou...zed-vs-zfs.html

Tells you how ZFS is much more advanced and efficient than HFS+ (which is already better in many areas than NTFS).

@Ahmad, Despite the fact that HFS is over a decade old, ZFS is going too be critical for the Time Machine ability for snapshots.

Based on the link provided by EFI, ZFS is really a critical FS for 10.5 time machine. We are assuming M$ must be also working on similar FS, I don't know if so call WinFS is the one?

Based on the link provided by EFI, ZFS is really a critical FS for 10.5 time machine. We are assuming M$ must be also working on similar FS, I don't know if so call WinFS is the one?

ZFS is infact really critical for Time Machine (its becoming more and more obvious now) indeed. Microsoft was suppsoe to release WinFS....which was suppose to be better than NTFS with better clustering support among a few things....and this new FS was suppose to be incorporated in Vista itself, but failed to materalize. Now Windows's filesysystem (as of this october) will be several generations behind (WinFS -> HFS+ -> ZFS).

Moreover, ZFS is the most recent file system...being released in 2004, and is currently the most advanced file system out there. ZFSs' max cluster size is incredibly amazing. There is a quote that states "if you were to create 1000 files every second, it would take 9000 years before you would reach the max cluster size of the file system". Moreover, ZFS has some very cool "self-healing" capibilities from data corruption....so its very difficult if not close to impossible for data loss on ZFS.

Adrian Fogge (remember him?) was really pushing ZFS before he left, and now I finally understand why. It's got some really obvious advantages over HFS+.

Hopefully Apple'll take full advantage of ZFS with the Time Machine software.

I wonder if this was one of the "secret features"? Not so secret now, is it? :P

Apple is just plain smart, they never stop with what they have, they always push forward. I always though the whole Tiger is the most OS was kinda BS but with Leopard that may really be the case. No matter how much I love Windows, MS just lets is sit and stagnate and pratically hands the market over to Apple. If Apple keeps inovating at this rate, within the next 5 years (unless Vienna and its succesor own really hard) there will be no practical reason to have a PC running Windows.