Apple TV 160GB and YouTube deal

9 posts in this topic

Some amazing news from ilounge:

Though it will be available tomorrow only as a build-to-order option from the online Apple Store, the 160GB Apple TV will soon be available in retail Apple Store locations as well; no specific date was provided. Pricing through both online and retail stores will be $399, as noted in the Apple press release.

YouTube will be enabled for Apple TV, beginning with the free software update for Apple TV owners in mid-June. At launch, “thousands of videos designed for Apple TV” will be available, with additional thousands added weekly until the entire YouTube library becomes accessible to Apple TV users this fall. “Designed for Apple TV” means that YouTube will soon be encoding videos in the H.264 streaming-efficient compression format preferred by Apple TV, and that all new videos submitted to YouTube as of the mid-June launch of the AppleTV update will be playable by the device. From then until fall, YouTube will be encoding its entire back-catalog in H.264 format, adding videos in chunks until everything is accessible to Apple TV users. Direct links and the on-screen keyboard-based search engine mentioned in our previous update will bring you to current and old videos alike.

So a 160GB Apple TV and YouTube service on it, wow this is great news!! I'm thinking about buying one.

Read the full article here:

http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments...tube-h264-deal/

"This is the first time users can easily browse, find and watch YouTube videos right from their living room couch, and it’s really, really fun,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO."

He's kidding, right ? Please tell me he's kidding.

"This is the first time users can easily browse, find and watch YouTube videos right from their living room couch, and it’s really, really fun,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO."

He's kidding, right ? Please tell me he's kidding.

No, he's serious. They even mentioned it in the Steve Jobs + Bill Gates interview yesterday. :boxing:

Steve jobs is talking to Apple users, not Windows users. :rolleyes: Plus with a box with the capability, enough storage now, and Youtube built in, you don't need a full pc or whatnot to connect to you home entertainment center. I don't want one, but for those that love multimedia this is a nice deal. Though the first Apple TV customers with the puny 40 gig model are screwed.

This is ridiculous at that price! For $50 I can buy a series 2 Tivo (well plus $14 a month), download all the content I want and watch it right from the Tivo. Plus now with Amazon Unbox and TivoCast (do your self a favor and google "Superficial Friends") I have amazing access to a huge library of digital content, AND it still acts as a damn good DVR. Sorry AppleTV is worth about $100 no more then that.

One advantage watching Youtube videos streamed on to the Apple TV, is that you wont get all those pesky "recommended" videos, half of which have nothing related to the original video. Also you get everything wrapped in a nice Front Row interface. Dont forget the live encoding and transfer of the selected videos right to iPod if you wanted.

Regardless of all these factors though, I'm still waiting for the app "Tubular", which presents a much more integrated youtube experience OS X style within OS X. Its still in the Beta stage however...but I'm really looking forward to it.

Well TiVo is a good option, IF you live in the States. Here in Europe it's just very hard to get on demand video etc. For us ancient people the Apple TV begins to be a serious option.

@EFI: You have any link of that Tubular program, looking forward to use it.

@EFI: You have any link of that Tubular program, looking forward to use it.

Actually, I am wanting a link to the beta too, lol. I've just seen it so far, and read some reviews of it. I recently sent an email to the developers asking how I could obtain the beta version....I've got a confirmation of received email (automated message)...but so far no reply. :P