iMac G3: Replacing a CD-ROM drive with DVD-ROM

9 posts in this topic

I've got a lower spec iMac G3 with a DVD-ROM drive and another higher spec iMac G3 but with a CD-ROM drive.

I wanted to swap the two optical drives so the higher spec iMac has it all. That way I can sell of the lower one.

Problem is I opened the case up and was even able to take out the HDD drive but removing the CD/DVD drives looked impossible without taking off the entire framework around the drives. And even if I wanted to do that it looked like they used special screws too. So I'm stuck and don't know what else I can do. I thought I've seen people on the internet taking bit's out and upgrading the CD-ROM drives but without being an expert in this I don't know how it can be done. I've googled and googled but honestly came out with nothing.

If anyone has done it or has some instructions then I would really appreciate it as my macs have been sitting for 2 weeks doing nothing now.

Thanks guys :whistle:

They are torx screws, and are quite common in electronics. There is a number of tutorials on how to do the swap on the net. Yes, from memory you do have to take the cage off - it's quite easy once you do it a couple of times. Word of warning, turn your imac off for 24 hours (off at socket) before opening. There are extremely high voltages present at the back off the CRT tube (thousands of volts). While the capacitors holding the charge are designed to discharge when the comp is off; this commonly fails on old crt monitors, and the charge can be stored for a long time.

They are torx screws, and are quite common in electronics. There is a number of tutorials on how to do the swap on the net. Yes, from memory you do have to take the cage off - it's quite easy once you do it a couple of times. Word of warning, turn your imac off for 24 hours (off at socket) before opening. There are extremely high voltages present at the back off the CRT tube (thousands of volts). While the capacitors holding the charge are designed to discharge when the comp is off; this commonly fails on old crt monitors, and the charge can be stored for a long time.

Thanks for your advise. I've never heard of a torx screw but then again I don't look into all that too often. Only when I need to, like this. But I have to say even If I had all the right screws it looks like a major mission getting the entire thing off. I know what you mean about it's easy once you do it a few times because that's how I feel about the outer case and the metal casing inside. However the cage that holds the DVD-ROM/CD drives has screws in places I just can't see any screw drivers reaching. And also there is no clear indication of which ones I need to take off to get the cage off because there are loads and they all look like they have some part.

So if anyone has a website they've used or come over then please pass it along. I can't seem to find anything.

Mate,

I bought about 15 of these things once, gutted them. Easy as.

Just rip it open, you can use force - they are built quite strong. From memory the hdd is under the optical, they are both on a tray can't remember if logic board is on same thing, it just slides in and out.

Make sure the replacement drive is an atapi though, can't use any old drive in the imacs.

When you do this, be extremely careful with those screws. They can get inside the iMac itself and seriously fry things.

Thanks A Nonny Moose. I've almost lost two of them at one point so I know what you're talking about.

Mate,

I bought about 15 of these things once, gutted them. Easy as.

Just rip it open, you can use force - they are built quite strong. From memory the hdd is under the optical, they are both on a tray can't remember if logic board is on same thing, it just slides in and out.

Make sure the replacement drive is an atapi though, can't use any old drive in the imacs.

The HHD comes off easy but the optical seems to be screwed down to the case in places I can't reach. And to get to those areas it seems I need to take the enitre board off. I'm just assuming there's an easier way

It's still sitting there doing nothing...

"There is a number of tutorials on how to do the swap on the net. Yes, from memory you do have to take the cage off - it's quite easy once you do it a couple of times."

I've been asking the same question: WHERE on the net? And what if you haven't already done it a couple of times? Finally, I came across this link which seems to be what you're looking for: http://www.sterpin.net/uk/imacslotinukp.htm

Good luck.