Control-Alt-Mac?

Pentad

6 posts in this topic

Greetings all!

I love my MBP and OS X, however, I was wondering if there was something better than Force Quit when Finder either locks up or pulls a Steve Ballmer on me? If I do some *HEAVY* multitasking in OS X (like running Parallels w/XP, downloading from Usenet using Unison, playing MP3s, Firefox, Safari, et al) Finder gets very slow and sometimes just either locks up or is so slow that I can't tell its not locked up.

However, I know the machine is still working as I can still hear the HD chatter and the screen dims. Yet, Finder is either AOL or MIA on me. Is there anything better than cmd-opt-esc? I've even tried to hit the power button to see if I could get that "Do you want to turn off you mac prompt". On Windows XP (yeah, I know) control-alt-delete is pretty bullet proof about letting me see what the heck is going on. It will force an interrupt, show me what tasks are running, kill anything that might be outta control, and let me switch to a different running app.

I guess I would like the same on OS X. Does that make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I love OS X and am quite happy leaving the Windows world behind. However, this would be a handy tool to have.

Do you folks have any ideas or suggestions? I'm hoping that maybe I'm missing a cool 3rd party app that does something like this.

Thanks!

-P

I'm not familiar with anything. The one big downfall I've seen with Macs since back in the day with OS 7 and 68020 is that they do not handle stress well sometimes (not that Windows is a lot better) On my old hackintosh system (Core 2 Duo E6300, 2.5GB RAM) I'd run a similar setup with Windows 2K in Parallels as well as Firefox, Adium, Photoshop, Limewire, Xtorrent, etc all at the same time. Things got really slow sometimes but I didn't get many lockups as long as I was careful. Just give the computer time. It's a general rule with OS X that when the pinwheel of death shows up for more than a few seconds yer hosed. One of the best ways to prevent lockups when multitasking on any OS is to avoid switching between programs too quickly.

What keyboard are you using? Usually if you alt-crl-esc sequence it bring up something similar to "task manager in window" then all you do is select app u want to force quit and do it!

in some cases it is alt-start-esc sequence that works..

let me know how it goes!