Dell Sells Ubuntu machines

22 posts in this topic

http://www.ubuntu.com/dell

I thought it was interesting. Hot topic no. But thought it might be a good read.

Same here, but different distro.

I've been running 7.04 on my hackintosh on a different HD for a few days now. Give it a shot Alessandro. I guarantee you will like it. It's very nice. :thumbsup_anim:

I've been running 7.04 on my hackintosh on a different HD for a few days now. Give it a shot Alessandro. I guarantee you will like it. It's very nice. :thumbsup_anim:

You are right, actually. I had tried every previous release, but not this one. That is not like me, normally.

You are right, actually. I had tried every previous release, but not this one. That is not like me, normally.

I thought it would be like 6.10, but it has some nice little features like automatic Video/Audio codec detection/downloading with a lot of options. :hysterical:

It has a new theme called gloss for gnome widgets, and some other nit-picks. Overall I rate it a 9.5 on desktop, right below OS X. The software support drove me to it as well. It has more software support on the books than 6.10, and seems to want to do everything for you. :)

I can't say I would trust anything with a GUI/X11R6/X.org for being a server, but thats me because I am old fashioned, and prefer Slackware, and compiling daemons from scratch for that job. :thumbsup_anim:

I don't try as many Linux distros as I did in the past (virtually every release of every distro)

Maybe the reason is that OS X is so good that I spend 80% of my time in it.

mostly, I test every linux distro I come across. I am slightly less aggressive now though.

mostly, I test every linux distro I come across. I am slightly less aggressive now though.

Yeah, I suppose you become tired once you have done it for years and once you have found your ideal operating system(s).

when they can't afford a Mac and are too lazy to get OS X86 running :)

Most people don't know about OSx86. You wouldn't believe it, but an awful lot of people don't even know about Macs in this country.

Most people don't know about OSx86. You wouldn't believe it, but an awful lot of people don't even know about Macs in this country.

Its amazing too. George Orwell's prediction of one of everything is coming true.

Well not where I live. Apple is teh hip thing here. But yet still many people dont know about Mac in other parts of the US. When i used to travel with my PB 190cs, id always have people asking "What in tarnation is that kind of computer youve got there. All ive got is my windows. Ye Haw, gonna wrangle me some cow and grill up a steak in my 10 gallon hat."

when they can't afford a Mac and are too lazy to get OS X86 running :)

Do you think any old guy will use a potentially illegal, pirated, unreliable product?

Well not where I live. Apple is teh hip thing here. But yet still many people dont know about Mac in other parts of the US. When i used to travel with my PB 190cs, id always have people asking "What in tarnation is that kind of computer youve got there. All ive got is my windows. Ye Haw, gonna wrangle me some cow and grill up a steak in my 10 gallon hat."

Are you stereotyping the south as technologically backwards? (I agree there, I live in Florida and it kinda sux) Or Windows users as stupid and unworldly? (No way! Its the general computer using population that are fools, their not fools because they use Windows)

Do you think any old guy will use a potentially illegal, pirated, unreliable product?

I know of quite a few running Ubuntu. :thumbsup_anim:

Sure we do, look at my username. :thumbsup_anim:

I love my Ubuntu desktop... :thumbsup_anim: hint. hint.

post-18909-1181105995_thumb.png