Leopard sideshow sort of feature?

lessew

11 posts in this topic

Do you think that with the release of the new OS, Apple could start building into their new hardware a feature similar to Vista Sideshow, a feature MS has somehow managed to not pull off with a great deal of success? Perhaps Apple is planning on using the iPhone to be the external display?

Do you think that with the release of the new OS, Apple could start building into their new hardware a feature similar to Vista Sideshow, a feature MS has somehow managed to not pull off with a great deal of success? Perhaps Apple is planning on using the iPhone to be the external display?

Tiger already has a better slideshow feature than Vista. Leopard has improve on that with quicklook which is basically giving the user to preview anything quickly, pictures, videos, word docs etc..

No to sure what you would gain by having the iphone act as an external display, it's a bit small really. The iphone will just have a copy of your photo's sync'd from your mac anyway?

Sideshow is a feature unrelated to Slideshows. It is for presentations, so that no pop-ups or alerts come on while you give a powerpoint presentation. It also supports multiple displays and a remote. As far as I know.

I don't think apple want to compete directly with vista in this respect and look like they are following microsoft, innovation-wise

I don't know about Apple building their hardware to mimic Sideshow, but it would have been cool to see the iPhone do a little more with Leopard. Maybe linking with iChat so that you could carry on a text/chat/video chat through wifi, controlling iTunes, and browsing/playing photos/movies that are on your mac using your iPhone. Maybe this will be something that Apple adds in the feature.

Sideshow is Dashboard on a dedicated secondary display.

While streaming to a photo frame might be nice, I don't like the idea of having a small external display on my laptop. It's just something else to go wrong and eat my Battery..

I was thinking features more like the eReader from Ricavision, etc. Or like the sideshow device that comes with some Asus mobo's, like this. http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/asus-...on/index.x?pg=2 You can grab information qucikly and easily. As for the laptops, Sideshow I think is a pretty interesting feature. You can turn it off I believe if you want, but for business users, it'd be nice to just pull out the laptop and not have to open it up to read email, etc.

I'm also wondering if that's the reason developers were pulled off of the Leopard project for the iPhone. I don't know. I'm just speculating.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i've an asus w5fe with sideshow and i think it's: "worth about a pig". you can't really do anything special with it. i got this laptop cuz i had to choose from a variety of asus notebooks and i wanted ultra-mobile with a strong processor if there was anything else on the market from asus than i'd probably take it.

but don't get me wrong now, i'd love to see it connect to leopard because i'm a geek :P . but generally i'm just saying... "it's worth about a pig".

about the geek thing: i study visual design and i'm a hardcore metal lead singer in a band.

i also do r&d/qc for a hi-tech company but still lets just put the "geek" in prospective ;) .