Atheros 5006EG

twophive

23 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a fix to make this card work, and I'm sure there are others out there with this same card. I've edited to the plist.kext to reflect the hardwares vender and dev id, which is : 168c:001c

I have tried both 10.4.5 and the latest updated 10.4.9 IO80211.

Under dmesg, I spotted this error :

start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-223.47.4/M35a/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:448] loaded unsuccessfully
unable to attach hardware; HAL status 3
IO80211Controller::stop called!
start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-223.47.4/M35a/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:448] loaded unsuccessfully
unable to attach hardware; HAL status 3
IO80211Controller::stop called!

The specific card is the Abit Airpace PCIe 1x.

If anyone has a fix, or any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I also have this god-forsaken wireless chipset, lol, on my Sony Vaio lappy that I have Jas 10.4.6 running on.

I have been trying for the past couple days to get wireless working with no success.

Here's what I have done:

I got the 10.4.5 update from apple, and used Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext. I then replaced the one from 10.4.6, and made sure that the AirPortAtheros5424.kext within the contents/plugins of IO80211 was all in order.

Permissions fixed, chown -R root:wheel on my extensions directory

All set.

I reboot the machine, and it seems I have problems.

Under system profiler / extensions, AirPortAtheros5424 shows up as loaded, but has two unsatisfied dependencies because apparently "no valid version" or something.

IONetworking, and IO80211Family itself.

I've followed this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33089

But, alas, it has led me do a dead end. I will try the kext from the airport extrame 2007 update, and if that doesn't work, I'll try 10.4.7, as my 10.4.8 dvd won't boot into setup (empty blue screen).

Still tinkering, I'll keep you posted.

Hi

I have same 168c:001c chipset. I can get it to be recognised on my Vaio laptop but when I try to connect to wireless router it give Kernal Panic says 'You need to restart your computer'.

It would be grate if some one can get this working.

br

lolo1

@RoyIdeas

The card to be recognised you need to use /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/

Edit the AirPortAtheros.kext/Info.plist like this :

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

Note device ID = 1c even though your card is read as 001c.

If you have AirPortAtheros5424.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns make a backup and then remove it. do permissions as stated in the link in 2nd post in this thread and then restart.

This will make the card recognised but it still does not connect :D .

br

lolo1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I want to inform to anyone that has an Atheros AR5006EG wifi card which never work in OSX86 before, Please try to upgrade using Koolkal 10.4.10 combo update v.2, It's found your wifi card and can use it without any fix.

My notebook Benq R55 series (Intel chipset + 945 graphics) after upgrade the first restart it shows a wifi signal (a Fan shaped) in menu bar and shows nearby wifi hotspot which you can select and connect to it.

Hope this help.

Bye.

Thank you arjeab

Are there any specific instructions i'm supposed to follow? Do I just d/l 10.4.9 uphuck and then patch with the Koolkal 10.4.10 update and the card should read? My card is actually a pci-express wifi adapter, you think it would still work since it's the same chipset? thanks for the reply! I appreciate you letting the community know.

@ gramarye: no way of telling but by try&error: all PCI cards, no matter if PCI or PCIe, dock into the PCI bus. The PCI bus determines the memory and IO-ranges with which the card is "driven". The PCI bus'es memory and IO-ranges are determined by/in the BIOS. Each BIOS has slightly different memory and IO-ranges. Apple only has a few of them for which they programmed their kexts. If your computer's/ Laptops BIOS matches these specifications you're lucky. I have a ORIGINAL (!!) Apple WiFi card in my Laptop, and it does NOT work. Because of the very proprietary memory and IO-ranges Toshiba is using. Just editing vendor-ID etc. is NOT sufficient.

In some kexts these ranges have been sourced out into one of the XML plists and can be edited (e.g. Apple's kext for the PCMCIA cards), in other kexts like the Atheros WiFi ones they have been hard-coded into the binary part of the kext (the actual "driver") - one would need special hacking skills to get ones memory and IO-ranges in there.

The other possibility would be to hack ones BIOS, but that is way dangerous.

Still, just search for Koolkal 10.4.10 combo update v.2 @ demonoid.com and give it a shot, it's worth a try. I cannot download it right now because my DSL won't be back online until in about 10 days.

Can one get access or download the changed network files from that koolkal v2 version?

Tried that upgrade (didn't say v2 though???) but it panics at the very end and the machine never boots again.

• 2 weeks later...
That is great news! If I can get this card to work, then I can say a have a 98% functional Hackintosh! I'll try later this evening and post my results here. Good luck to everybody!

Plus on a re-install of uphuck v1.3 this procedure with a AR5007 card causes network preferences to crash.

Any help is appreciated.

The Raton, any results you can share with us?

bemac, did you ever get around to fixing the network problem you had?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...